By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon and Zelda... a week apart? Will BOTW be overshadowed by the new Sony IP.

I will be playing...

Both Horizon: ZD and BOTW. 114 10.18%

Just Horizon. 290 25.89%

Just BOTW. 520 46.43%

I'm going to wait to see... 33 2.95%

BOTW first then Horizon. 120 10.71%

Horizon first then BOTW. 43 3.84%

Total:1,120

Since they're on different systems, and they're both very anticipated, they won't overshadow eachother.

Around the Network

Best case scenario, both games will do well and be well received. As for Horizon overshadowing Zelda...not sure if that can be possible. It's not out of the realm of possibility, mind you, but when you had countless people running to get in line for Zelda BoTW's first demo at E3 and still have that type of crowd during these latest Switch events, plus, have the latest trailer be received so positively, the game's not likely to step aside without a fight.

Plus it's Zelda, a 30 year old franchise that has had timeless classics that very few could match and that many could only dream of matching. This is also Zelda going back to its NES roots when it redefined the adventure genre back in 1986-87, which is something most, if not all, long time fans have hoped for.

Horizon will probably do fine and it appears to have good things going for it as a new IP. I'm just not going that far in thinking that it can overshadow something like Zelda.

Hmmm... in my case it's the contrary. I planned to buy Horizon but with a new console and Zelda the same month, I don't have more money to spend so Horizon will have to wait. Nevertheless, I think that they won't overshadow each other generally.

Zelda BOTW overshadowed by the new Sony IP!? Lol, actually Horizon will have problem because new 3D Zelda will get huge attention.

Haha whats Horizon? Who's GG? Thats what customers will be saying when there choosing between the two.

Not even the best IPs from Sony or MS can overshadow Zelda. 

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Haha whats Horizon? Who's GG? Thats what customers will be saying when there choosing between the two.

Not entirely true. Series like Uncharted from Sony and Halo from Microsoft overshadow Zelda.

Best selling Zelda game of all-time was Twilight Princess, releasing on two consoles (Gamecube and Wii) and it only sold 8.6 million in the 11 years its been on the market. Uncharted 4 sold 8.8 million in its first 7 months. Hell Uncharted 3 released around the same time as Skyward Sword which sold 3.6 million all-time on a console with a 100m install base. Uncharted 3 sold more than that in DAY 1, and went on to sell 6.7 million on a console with less than 3/4th the install base.

And it goes without saying that Halo has sales records the likes of 8, 12, 9.75, and 10 million copies for various entries.

I love me some Zelda and grew up on it. OuT is in my top 3 games of all-time. But there are plenty of franchises with far more consumer appeal. Hell a game like Last of Us being a new IP outsold all but Twilight Princess and thats a library consistening of over 20 games between consoles and handhelds. Other games like Gran Turismo and others have healthly outsold Zelda consistently. GT specifically having sales records like 9.3, 11.75, 12, and 15 million for various entries.

I think Both the games will do fine its not like Battlefield and Call of duty situation where u have to commit to one online eco system that suits ur play style, even though both of them sold very well. Horizon and Zelda are single player experience although similar genre but both will have different lore and different target audience. Nothing since Witcher 3 in the open world genre has been good and people are keenly looking forward to horizon. And Zelda is a franchise which comes out every 4 to 5 years, so there is a genuine hype, but on an uproven console.

I think horizon should be worried lol

BeatdownBrigade said:
Azzanation said:

Not entirely true. Series like Uncharted from Sony and Halo from Microsoft overshadow Zelda.

Best selling Zelda game of all-time was Twilight Princess, releasing on two consoles (Gamecube and Wii) and it only sold 8.6 million in the 11 years its been on the market. Uncharted 4 sold 8.8 million in its first 7 months. Hell Uncharted 3 released around the same time as Skyward Sword which sold 3.6 million all-time on a console with a 100m install base. Uncharted 3 sold more than that in DAY 1, and went on to sell 6.7 million on a console with less than 3/4th the install base.

And it goes without saying that Halo has sales records the likes of 8, 12, 9.75, and 10 million copies for various entries.

I love me some Zelda and grew up on it. OuT is in my top 3 games of all-time. But there are plenty of franchises with far more consumer appeal. Hell a game like Last of Us being a new IP outsold all but Twilight Princess and thats a library consistening of over 20 games between consoles and handhelds. Other games like Gran Turismo and others have healthly outsold Zelda consistently. GT specifically having sales records like 9.3, 11.75, 12, and 15 million for various entries.

Ouch. Don't be so mean to him.

Very much looking forward to both.

I've been waiting ages for Zelda so I'll be focused on it first, but eventually I'll get around to Horizon.

Really, if the proximity is an issue for anyone it's probably Horizon, as the hype train for Zelda (among even those who don't own a console) is huge and media will be refocusing on it almost immediately.

Still, I think in terms of sales neither will really be affected by the other; they're must haves for people who like this sort of game and, from what I've seen, they're very different experiences.