By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon and Zelda... a week apart? Will BOTW be overshadowed by the new Sony IP.

I will be playing...

Both Horizon: ZD and BOTW. 114 10.18%

Just Horizon. 290 25.89%

Just BOTW. 520 46.43%

I'm going to wait to see... 33 2.95%

BOTW first then Horizon. 120 10.71%

Horizon first then BOTW. 43 3.84%

Total:1,120
pcstation4 said:
asqarkabab said:
no it will not overshadowed by a game like horizon
is this a joke assumption ?

Horizon will most likely have double the sales of Zelda, so no, It's not a joke.

Lucky for me, I get to play both and I feel like Zelda will be the better overall game no doubt. I'm hoping Horizon surprises me.

I'm not sure why you think Horizon will most likely double Zelda's sales.  Do you think a new IP will sell between 6-12m copies?  I have no doubt in my mind that Breath of the Wild will sell minimum 3m copies, given even the Wii U remaster of Wind Waker sold over 1m copies (if this site is to be believed about its tracking of it).  

I don't think it's impossible for Horizon to sell in that range, but I don't think it's most likely.  But just look at this:

1 Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PS4 2015 Shooter Activision 6.07 5.93 0.36 2.40 14.75
2 Grand Theft Auto V PS4 2014 Action Take-Two Interactive 4.03 6.63 0.39 2.04 13.09
3 FIFA 16 PS4 2015 Sports Electronic Arts 1.12 6.12 0.06 1.28 8.59
4 FIFA 17 PS4 2016 Sports Electronic Arts 0.79 6.45 0.09 1.25 8.58
5 Star Wars Battlefront (2015) PS4 2015 Shooter Electronic Arts 3.04 3.54 0.22 1.30 8.10
6 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare PS4 2014 Shooter Activision 2.82 3.48 0.14 1.23 7.67
7 Fallout 4 PS4 2015 Role-Playing Bethesda Softworks 2.56 3.38 0.24 1.16 7.34
8 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End PS4 2016 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 2.45 2.90 0.19 1.05 6.59
9 FIFA 15 PS4 2014 Sports Electronic Arts 0.80 4.33 0.05 0.91 6.08
10 Destiny PS4 2014 Shooter Activision 2.50 2.07 0.16 0.93 5.65

Does it really look like it's going to be that big?

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
pcstation4 said:

Horizon will most likely have double the sales of Zelda, so no, It's not a joke.

Lucky for me, I get to play both and I feel like Zelda will be the better overall game no doubt. I'm hoping Horizon surprises me.

You really think it will do double BotW? Sure its possible, but i highly doubt thats the most likely scenario.

And like I said in an earlier post, Horizon selling better doesnt mean it overshadowed it unless people are skipping Zelda just to get Horizon which seems rather unlikely.

Yes, it's the second most pre-release hyped new IP I've seen this gen. The first being Titanfall(XONE).

RavenXtra said:
The amount of attention Zelda has received up until this point makes that incredibly unlikely. Then again.. the insistence on pitting these two games together has always been strange and I don't see how the games are similar enough to be compared so often.

Maybe at the end of the day both games will be good and do well.. there's always that option.

This is what I'm hoping for. The industry need more games like these imo.

If we were required to worry about either one of those, Horizon would be the one to worry about lol

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

pcstation4 said:
asqarkabab said:
no it will not overshadowed by a game like horizon
is this a joke assumption ?

So are you predicting sales on the order of 10 million for Horizon? It is clear that BoTW will likely sell more than 5 million lifetime at the very least, likely more. The lowest selling 3D Zelda sold - Majora's Mask sold ~ 3.36 million. The last three 3D Zelda's sold 4 million (Skyward Sword), 8.66 million (Twilight Princess), and 4.6 million respectively (Windwaker.) Breath of the Wild has more hype than Skyward Sword had, and userbase is not an issue for Nintendo platforms because Nintendo fans saturate them, and it is hard to find a NIntendo fan who doesn't love The Legend of Zelda. Attach ratios for the game should be high.

So are you seriously telling us that the new IP that is Horizon: Zero Dawn is going to sell on the order of ten million?

sc94597 said:
pcstation4 said:

So are you predicting sales on the order of 10 million for Horizon? It is clear that BoTW will likely sell more than 5 million lifetime at the very least, likely more. The lowest selling 3D Zelda sold - Majora's Mask sold ~ 3.36 million. The last three 3D Zelda's sold 4 million (Skyward Sword), 8.66 million (Twilight Princess), and 4.6 million respectively (Windwaker.) Breath of the Wild has more hype than Skyward Sword had, and userbase is not an issue for Nintendo platforms because Nintendo fans saturate them, and it is hard to find a NIntendo fan who doesn't love The Legend of Zelda. Attach ratios for the game should be high.

So are you seriously telling us that the new IP that is Horizon: Zero Dawn is going to sell on the order of ten million?

I expect Breath of the Wild to sell ~3 million and Horizon(good reviews) ~6 million. Breath of the Wild will have a better attach rate but PS4 larger install base will lead to double sales for Horizon. Just my prediction. I'm new to this btw.

Around the Network
pcstation4 said:
zorg1000 said:

You really think it will do double BotW? Sure its possible, but i highly doubt thats the most likely scenario.

And like I said in an earlier post, Horizon selling better doesnt mean it overshadowed it unless people are skipping Zelda just to get Horizon which seems rather unlikely.

Yes, it's the second most pre-release hyped new IP I've seen this gen. The first being Titanfall(XONE).

Yet Titanfall didn't really do that amazing.

I think BotW has a strong chance of selling more than 5 million, i jist cant imagine Horizon doing over 10 million. I think both will do over 5 million and Horizon has potential to sell better but certainly not double.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
pcstation4 said:

Yet Titanfall didn't really do that amazing.

I think BotW has a strong chance of selling more than 5 million, i jist cant imagine Horizon doing over 10 million. I think both will do over 5 million and Horizon has potential to sell better but certainly not double.

Yeah my double prediction may be a little too much. I expect both to sell very well also. I just think Horizon will sell a lot more. I could be wrong.

Actually no, they'll be both fine, gamers will buy both of them anyway.

QUAKECore89 said:
Actually no, they'll be both fine, gamers will buy both of them anyway.

I couldn't agree more. 

Not sure either really has much to worry about in terms of one effecting the other, at least in terms of sales. Now both have the ability to create a perception narrative. What I mean about that is if the Zelda succeeds in highlighting the Switch's functionality it can create a positive narrative that may not be true for most games on the console, but will help push console sales and image in a positive light.

On the flip side if say gameplay quality is similar in both games than obviously the perception becomes a game like Horizon being as good but with far superior visuals and alive world through use of power comes into play. This won't really do anything to hamper Zelda's sales, this will more just be a poor narrative for the Switch to deal with right out of the gate.

Both are 1st open world attempts by either studio so likely gonna be issues with both in some regards. Zelda is expected to be longer so it has the length for price going for it. Its just probably more important for Zelda to be as good or better than Horizon for the sake of the console image than the sake of its own sales. Sony could survive Horizon being subpar more than I believe the Switch can survive Zelda being subpar.