By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who is the most money grubbing console maker in the industry?

Tagged games:

Who is the most money grubbing in the industry?

Nintendo 373 42.05%

Sony 122 13.75%

Microsoft 269 30.33%

Ouya Lives! 20 2.25%

See results. 103 11.61%

Total:887
bunchanumbers said:
ratuscafoarterea said:

I agree with your opinion on Nintendo’s first party prices policies, 100%. As a game collector, I have to agree with you, Nintendo are keeping prices way too high comparing to Sony and Microsoft. And I think that they do this in purpose, so in the long run, they can be seen by us,  as a gaming legacy brand.

Its hard to argue. In fact you usually want to buy all Nintendo games brand new and pay full retail because the runs are usually limited and there won't be any price markdowns. Games will usually just be here, or not here. Pikmin 3, Bayo 2 and others were commanding high prices. Some of it was alleviated with Nintendo Selects, and the eshop made it so that you more likely than not had a shot at getting the games, but for video game collectors, you really have your ears pinned back by Nintendo.

Exactly man, I’ve missed on some WiiU games (Bayo2, Todd TT), now I’m fuked, I can’t find them anywhere at retail. It’s like Nintendo is doing this in purpose, they print limited runs just to F with us.

Around the Network
ratuscafoarterea said:
bunchanumbers said:

Its hard to argue. In fact you usually want to buy all Nintendo games brand new and pay full retail because the runs are usually limited and there won't be any price markdowns. Games will usually just be here, or not here. Pikmin 3, Bayo 2 and others were commanding high prices. Some of it was alleviated with Nintendo Selects, and the eshop made it so that you more likely than not had a shot at getting the games, but for video game collectors, you really have your ears pinned back by Nintendo.

Exactly man, I’ve missed on some WiiU games (Bayo2, Todd TT), now I’m fuked, I can’t find them anywhere at retail. It’s like Nintendo is doing this in purpose, they print limited runs just to F with us.

Okay to be fair with the Wii U, it sold horribly, so most likely retailers didn't order copies of those games at all. What I wish Nintendo would do, is have store setup like Atlus did eventually.

ratuscafoarterea said:
bunchanumbers said:

Yup. Its why I always tell people who are collectors that are interested in Nintendo that they always got to buy those games. Even if you gotta pay full retail. Because waiting for a price drop never works and those games will just one day poof and you're stuck paying $90 or more. Its part of the Nintendo money grubbing that no one wants to talk about. Yet everyone always talks about demanding physical games.

*edit

Same thing will happen with Switch. If you're interested in a Switch collection you're going to have to go through the wringer.

bunchanumbers said:

Yup. Its why I always tell people who are collectors that are interested in Nintendo that they always got to buy those games. Even if you gotta pay full retail. Because waiting for a price drop never works and those games will just one day poof and you're stuck paying $90 or more. Its part of the Nintendo money grubbing that no one wants to talk about. Yet everyone always talks about demanding physical games.

*edit

Same thing will happen with Switch. If you're interested in a Switch collection you're going to have to go through the wringer.

Must be a regional thing. Here in Europe almost every WiiU game is still available for a lower price than at release, both new and used versions.

So it is a good thing when Switch gets region free, you can import the games which aren't available any more in your country.

Acevil said:
naruball said:

Let's find the one device to prove a point and ignore the rest. 3ds launched at the exact same price with significantly inferior hardware. In other words, if anything $250 for a vita was a fantastic price. It most certainly gave you bang for your buck.

As for the memory cards, most bundles came with a 4 or 8gb card. And that's the only thing that has been expensive.

So that's some serious cherry picking. Can't say I agree with that.

This was at launch, and yes it is picking out the faults, the device could have easily used SD cards which everyone had, but no it didn't. Also I am showcasing all three are horid, don't take offense because I picked one of your favorites and showcased it. 

Also the launch bundle that came 4GB was the 3G $299 bundle. Do not remember single launch bundle for 249.99 that came with memory card. 

The 3g version costing $299 is completely irrelevant and you bringing it up shows how weak your point is. That was a luxury product for the few people that wanted it. If Sony makes a gold ps4 controller and charges x amount for it, you wouldn't bring it up in a discussion because it would be just as irrelevant.

The device could have used SD cards and the 3rd party developers would have had no reason to make games for it after the fiasco with psp getting hacked and no one buying games for it at the end of its life. Not even superb games like God of War: Ghost of Sparta. They had to combat piracy somehow and that was one of the ways to convince developers that they had nothing to fear. The prices were high. I mentioned that already. But saying that "they could have easily used SD card" is naive at best. 

Never said that there were "launch bundle for 249.99 that came with memory". Don't know where you read that. There were, however, bundles with a game and a memory card for more than 249.99 but less than bought seperately. It's usually how bundles work.

As for this, "don't take offense because I picked one of your favorites and showcased it". I'm one of the few members here who give credit when I believe they deserve it. I have both praised and critised countless times all three companies in various occasions. So, please keep your assumptions to yourself.

Around the Network
Conina said:
bunchanumbers said:

*edit

Must be a regional thing. Here in Europe almost every WiiU game is still available for a lower price than at release, both new and used versions.

So it is a good thing when Switch gets region free, you can import the games which aren't available any more in your country.

as long as it is still cheaper with import costs. I wouldn't be shocked if they actually raise prices in EU to discourage people importing from EU. Nintendo might have made it region free, but they won't stand idly by and let people get a deal without Nintendo getting their cut.

Naum said:

Wow...just wow... are you actually serious that NIntendo is the worst?

That's I'm out I cant this much stupidity on this site anymore.

Not our fault you can't handle the truth

SegataSanshiro said:
SNK with Neo Geo. 700 dollar console. 250 dollar games. Now the console and games cost more.

Pretty sure SNK doesn't make consoles  anymore.

bunchanumbers said:
ratuscafoarterea said:

Yup. Its why I always tell people who are collectors that are interested in Nintendo that they always got to buy those games. Even if you gotta pay full retail. Because waiting for a price drop never works and those games will just one day poof and you're stuck paying $90 or more. Its part of the Nintendo money grubbing that no one wants to talk about.

Actually we used to have threads about it all the time. And, unfortunately, most people (nintendo fans) who would comment in those threads argued that they were so high because, unlike ps3/360 games, ninty games never stopped selling (ignoring all the games that weren't evergreen titles or games like GTA having equally long legs but with some price cuts).

naruball said:
Acevil said:

This was at launch, and yes it is picking out the faults, the device could have easily used SD cards which everyone had, but no it didn't. Also I am showcasing all three are horid, don't take offense because I picked one of your favorites and showcased it. 

Also the launch bundle that came 4GB was the 3G $299 bundle. Do not remember single launch bundle for 249.99 that came with memory card. 

The 3g version costing $299 is completely irrelevant and you bringing it up shows how weak your point is. That was a luxury product for the few people that wanted it. If Sony makes a gold ps4 controller and charges x amount for it, you wouldn't bring it up in a discussion because it would be just as irrelevant.

The device could have used SD cards and the 3rd party developers would have had no reason to make games for it after the fiasco with psp getting hacked and no one buying games for it at the end of its life. Not even superb games like God of War: Ghost of Sparta. They had to combat piracy somehow and that was one of the ways to convince developers that they had nothing to fear. The prices were high. I mentioned that already. But saying that "they could have easily used SD card" is naive at best. 

Never said that there were "launch bundle for 249.99 that came with memory". Don't know where you read that. There were, however, bundles with a game and a memory card for more than 249.99 but less than bought seperately. It's usually how bundles work.

As for this, "don't take offense because I picked one of your favorites and showcased it". I'm one of the few members here who give credit when I believe they deserve it. I have both praised and critised countless times all three companies in various occasions. So, please keep your assumptions to yourself.

I am talking about launch, I am not talking any other point with my point that companies even sony can do money grubbing, doesn't matter to me if someone fixes themselves later, same with Nintendo, because Nintendo could reduce the price of everything months after, wouldn't change the fact they were money grubbing at that point. I can highlight different things sony has done that seen as money grubbing behaviour, ranging from PS3 Launch and how they went about it or the fact Sony was the first companies to introduce Online Pass with Socom 3 Fireteam Bravo 3. They also did good, if you truthfully want me to list that aswell. 

Again if you want me to do all three I can as well, since I do find good and huge faults in all three, and at the end of the day, they all want to make Money. 

Also I will accept the last paragraph, and will apologize, only because I do believe you in that. I am sorry for stepping out of line with that. 

Acevil said:
naruball said:

I am talking about launch, I am not talking any other point with my point that companies even sony can do money grubbing, doesn't matter to me if someone fixes themselves later, same with Nintendo, because Nintendo could reduce the price of everything months after, wouldn't change the fact they were money grubbing at that point. I can highlight different things sony has done that seen as money grubbing behaviour, ranging from PS3 Launch and how they went about it or the fact Sony was the first companies to introduce Online Pass with Socom 3 Fireteam Bravo 3. They also did good, if you truthfully want me to list that aswell. 

Again if you want me to do all three I can as well, since I do find good and huge faults in all three, and at the end of the day, they all want to make Money. 

Also I will accept the last paragraph, and will apologize, only because I do believe you in that. I am sorry for stepping out of line with that. 

Yes, I'm talking about launch, too. I bought a launch bundle that had Rayman Origins, an 8gb memory card and, of course, the psvita.

The ps3 launch was a disaster and a terrible idea, but far from money grabbing considering that Sony lost 200 USD on each console sold.

I don't see online passes as money grabbing, because I believe that the second hand market hurt too many games and people look at the exceptions and not at the whole picture when they cite games selling well despite the second hand market. Having said that, I fully undertand how someone could see it that way so I'm not gonna argue against it. 

Never said I think you're too harsh on Sony or even accused you of anything. I try to avoid that. I have no doubt that you, too, have praised and critised all three companies. I specifically disagreed with you on the points that I argued against. Nothing more.

Apology accepted.