By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who is the most money grubbing console maker in the industry?

Tagged games:

Who is the most money grubbing in the industry?

Nintendo 373 42.05%

Sony 122 13.75%

Microsoft 269 30.33%

Ouya Lives! 20 2.25%

See results. 103 11.61%

Total:887
twintail said:
Cloudman said:

A handful of games seem to pale in comparison to the list for the PS4 Pro, and I imagine that list will only grow. And you need the proper TV to get the most out of the system, which could be more of an investment for the system if you lack that.

It sounds like you are just throwing excuses out now.

The PS4 Pro doesnt lock out software from PS4 or Slim users. The N3DS does. You can argue the amount of quality of the software all you want, but this fundamental truth won't change. You have a choice with the PS4Pro in terms of software since no piece of software is exclusive to the Pro. The N3DS has ended up having EXCLUSIVE software, so if you want to pay those games and own an original 3DS or 2DS, then tough luck.

Sure, the PS4 Pro gives you an enhanced experience, but that is the whole point of the device. Likewise, that is the whole point of the N3DS - you only need to go to Nintendos website, and see their marketing for the device to realise this.

Saying Sony is money-grubbing with a device that is purely a choice for gamers, without acknowledging that Nintendo basically did the same thing first (and by also locking software behind it) just comes across as you wanting Sony to look bad, and Nintendo to look good.

There's an issue with your last statement. I've never said anything that made Nintendo look good in this thread. I've just stated what I've thought looks to be the worst, and to me, that seems like Sony. Nintendo has done some questionable things, more so with the Switch and its high prices, but Sony still looks like the company asking the the most to get the best experiences from them.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
NATO said:
Hynad said:

I'm with you that one. And lately, the negativity surrounding the Switch has been really annoying. Some of it, is justified, or at least presented in a manner than makes some position make sense. But most of it is based on assumptions and doom and glooming. It's like, can't we wait until the damn thing is out before passing judgment on its ability to succeed or fail (among other things)?

We can indeed, i'm actually hoping once I pick mine up from my local yodobashi that my opinion of it changes, but for the time being I've been mostly disappointed with what's been shown and talked about so far.

I'm hoping that user backlash will encourage Nintendo to go in with a low subscription price for its online services and/or allow any VC games added to a user's account to be played as long as the subscriptions active, as apposed to rotating free access.

I'm also hoping we'll see games bundled with custom controllers to be used for specific games, such as a yokai watch themed controller, so long as they price it right that would be awesome.

I'm hoping it's more than a single 30 year old game - a month.  Value is subjective but no one is seriously going to say that 99% of NES/SNES games are worth 5 and 7 dollars a piece.  No one - not even their die hard fans - are as delusional as Nintendo about the price of their treasure trove of tiny little rom files that that they hoarde like Scrooge McDuck.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

EA has all three of turn beat IMO. They may not make hardware but they sure grub money with DLC and their attempt to introduce online passes into the market. And 3DO, which was the closest thing to an EA console that has been made to date (it was created by the founder of EA, and EA was its primary software maker) launched at $700 in 1993 dollars.

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

There's an issue with your last statement. I've never said anything that made Nintendo look good in this thread. I've just stated what I've thought looks to be the worst, and to me, that seems like Sony. Nintendo has done some questionable things, more so with the Switch and its high prices, but Sony still looks like the company asking the the most to get the best experiences from them.

I dunno dude. You based your analysis on Sony being the worst for an action they took which Nintendo did as well, but you never mentioned Nintendo only Sony/ MS. That is straight up not wanting to bring Nintendo into the discussion, and makes them look good by trash talking the competition.

N3DS is not any different from Scorpio/ Pro but you downplay the similairities; N3DS has exclusive software whereas the Pro doesn't, but this is a non issue; and yet Sony are clearly the woorst, just because... triviliaities. 

And for what it is worth, FE Warriors is another N3DS exclusive but that is ok because it is also on the Switch, or some random reason like that 

That's just how I see it. I didn't mention Nintendo because they don't seem the worst out of the 3. Meanwhile, Sony and MS do things that make me grumble at the possible worse things they could be bringing into the industry. Mid gen console releases just seem like an awful thing to do, especially when the consoles are really starting to get into their stride. There's other things, like making paid online service a thing now. When I see things like that, I can't help but feel how awful that is. That's why I name those 2 as being on the higher end with this topic. I wouldn't call having to potentially invest in a new TV, needing a PS4 to get VR, and Pro being the better option for games a trivial thing though.

Also, I think it was dumb they announced FE Warriors for the N3DS. They shouldn't have done that at all, but I guess they decided to do it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

That's just how I see it. I didn't mention Nintendo because they don't seem the worst out of the 3. Meanwhile, Sony and MS do things that make me grumble at the possible worse things they could be bringing into the industry. Mid gen console releases just seem like an awful thing to do, especially when the consoles are really starting to get into their stride. There's other things, like making paid online service a thing now. When I see things like that, I can't help but feel how awful that is. That's why I name those 2 as being on the higher end with this topic. I wouldn't call having to potentially invest in a new TV, needing a PS4 to get VR, and Pro being the better option for games a trivial thing though.

Also, I think it was dumb they announced FE Warriors for the N3DS. They shouldn't have done that at all, but I guess they decided to do it.

These are all fair points, but then perhaps you should lead with these examples instead of singling out an issue that is actually worse somewhere else.

That said, you dont need to invest in a new TV to get benefits from the Pro, just to maximise them. And it is kind of trivial because again it is all a choice. Of course you would need a PS4 to get Sony VR, like that is strange thing to bring up. There are other VR options if you dont want PS4VR. And PS4+VR is probably cheaper than most highend VR devices themselves. As for the TV... unless Sony was the sole supplier of 4Ktvs then you would have a point that it is money grubbing, but out of the major TV makers, Sony 4Ktvs are most likely the least sold. These are all choices, and if you are spending that kind of money I would assume that you are giving it some real thought. But you dont need them. You have that choice. Sony isn't even pushing the Pro, which alone should tell you that they see it as optional device for those gamers who have the money to spend on it. Sony is all in on pushing the Slim, which is just a regular PS4.

But still, I think all 3 console makers are bad.

I do agree in the end, it's up to choice, whether you want the best, or are okay with what you have. And all 3 do things that are pretty bad.

Dance my pretties!