By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch is where the Industry should be by now

First off, let me clarify that I really like the X1/PS4, they are quite powerful systems that produce some fantastic graphics. But this arms race that has existed around graphics capability and more and more capable hardware has accelerated the cost for making games and has created an unreasonable level of risk-taking for studios.

There is no doubt that the Switch is far less capable compared to gaming PCs and PS4/X1 but it still produces excellent graphics, has an interesting style and controller interface and pushes the industry with other innovations besides graphics hardware.

So I would claim that we should see a stagnation in evolution of hardware in favour of a larger focus on keeping costs down and lower the risk-taking in creating games. That way we might see even more innovation in gaming and less focus on hunting PC levels of hardware all the time.

Around the Network

How dare you like a Nintendo system for Nintendo hardware? You're supposed only like them for Nintendo software.

Why should I care as a consumer that developers and publishers take risks creating games?

Bravo. I support that statement 100%.

Yep, I agree. There is no place for risks or creativity when all your games needs to sell 7m to be profitable and is lame how there is way more focus in the development of the graphics than on the actual game design in so many cases. The industry is turning into Hollywood.

Also the reason why some companies are so interested on high end graphics is because they have money and they can destroy little and more talented studios without using creativity or talent, they just put more money and more people working, at the end it looks better and the average gamer is so damn superficial that ends up buying the shiny one and shitting about the good but modest one, and when a big company does that is frequently called "artistic vision" lol

Around the Network

So the industry needs to take 5 steps back and not have games progress or become better, great to know. The Switch is about to be the Wii U 2.0. Hell at least the Wii U had a better line up

Preston Scott

But with the PS4 I get a selection of all types of games with all types of budgets with all type of art styles. I'm not sure I would want weaker harder and narrow down what types of game could be available to me.

Goodnightmoon said:

Yep, I agree. There is no place for risks or creativity when all your games needs to sell 7m to be profitable and is lame how there is way more focus in the development of the graphics than on the actual game design in so many cases. The industry is turning into Hollywood.

Also the reason why some companies are so interested on high end graphics is because they have money and they can destroy little and more talented studios without using creativity or talent, they just put more money and more people working, at the end it looks better and the average gamer is so damn superficial that ends up buying the shiny one and shitting about the good but modest one, and when a big company does that is frequently called "artistic vision" lol

I'm sorry but that is compeletely wrong. Indies thrive on XB1 and PS4. This is why there's been a surge of indies games coming to console over the last 10 years. 

Id say switch is above its age.
If released 5 years latter, switch would be the perfect console, and other would follow nintendo standards with switch.
Maybe switch 2 become that.

The system is cool but it's not really "pushing" anything ahead game play wise. The only thing it does functionally is add HD rumble, which is something that doesn't alter gameplay and Sony/MS could copy in 10 minutes.

Maybe we should just stop looking at hardware to bring forth innovation. Hardware doesn't do that -- SOFTWARE does. The hardware is only the picture frame, the software is the painting, what's more important?

There are plenty of innovative, weird, quirky, interesting games on PS4, PC, and XBox too ... it's just a matter of if you want to play those or not.

If anything really Switch is less a "gameplay revolution" than it is basically a "greatest hits" Nintendo system, as Nintendo stated in their conference, it borrows elements of every Nintendo system from before it (minus the Virtual Boy, and even that might end up working in there if they do the VR headset thing).