By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch is where the Industry should be by now

I mostly agree, but $300 USD isn't what I would consider keeping the costs down.. :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Boutros said:
sc94597 said:

Sure, but doesn't that bolster the OP's point with the Switch being a good thing? 

The Switch is a home console according to Nintendo. Nintendo also confirmed that they will continue support of the 3DS. That means if not production values what is the real difference between the 3DS and the Switch? Sounds to me like the 3DS is a more affordable device where games are smaller in scale and can be sold at a lower price (essentially middleware titles). So there's still a dedicated place for middleware games in the industry.

That is just Nintendo trying to milk 3DS sales. As soon the 3DS winds down sales-wise Nintendo is going to transition fully to the Switch. We already see cross-support for the two platforms with Dragon Quest XI, Shin Megami Tensei V, and what would've been 3DS exclusives like Project Octopath instead being developed for the Switch. There is no point in the concept of the Switch if it doesn't also replace the 3DS. The 3DS is not immortal, just like the NDS and GBA weren't despite Nintendo continuing support after their successors released. There is no real difference between the 3DS and the Switch, besides the Switch being able to support AAA games as well. The Switch will inherit the Japanese middleware from the 3DS and Vita, and Nintendo AAA from the Wii U. All platforms have indie games. 

SWORDF1SH said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yep, I agree. There is no place for risks or creativity when all your games needs to sell 7m to be profitable and is lame how there is way more focus in the development of the graphics than on the actual game design in so many cases. The industry is turning into Hollywood.

Also the reason why some companies are so interested on high end graphics is because they have money and they can destroy little and more talented studios without using creativity or talent, they just put more money and more people working, at the end it looks better and the average gamer is so damn superficial that ends up buying the shiny one and shitting about the good but modest one, and when a big company does that is frequently called "artistic vision" lol

I'm sorry but that is compeletely wrong. Indies thrive on XB1 and PS4. This is why there's been a surge of indies games coming to console over the last 10 years. 

I'm talking about what big companies try to do and how gamers tend to behave. Indies are not the new middleware, only in some occasions can count like that, most of the times are extremelly low budget games with some notable exceptions, seems like there is only place for little independent studios doing creative but very low budget games or big studios making extremelly expensive but generic games.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
These excuses to justify the weaker Nintendo systems are old and boring, if Nintendo released a system more powerfull than a ps4 pro you would be here all happy.
But keep pretending this is because you care about the poor devs.

This actually has a lot to do with the spectacular lack of creativity or inspiration on AAA games nowadays, so it does affects him even if he doesnt care about the poor devs.

sc94597 said:
Normchacho said:

That is...not true. Unless you count anything that isn't an indie game as AAA. 

Recore, Ratchet & Clank, Gravity Rush 2, Styx: Master of Shadows, Farming Simulator, Transformers Devistation, Attack On Titan...just off the top of my head.

Recore has mediocre review scores and sales. Point made. 

Ratchet & Clank varies in production values, but I would definitely call the most recent entry AAA, and it shows in the popularity of the latest entry versus. the PS3 titles which had much smaller budgets. 

Styx gets most supported on PC where mid-budget software still survives to an extent. The PS4 and XBO ports didn't get much attention, and again the review scores are mediocre. 

I've never even heard of Transformers Devastation, but the title seems to be running off of name recognition. 

Attack On the Titan is a  very  popular anime series, again name recognition. 

Ironically, Ratchet & Clank is the most successful and that is the title I'd say has AAA production values. 

So, I'm going to quote you here for a second.

"There is only AAA and indie, nothing in between. "

I listed roughly half a dozen games off the top of my head that fall in-between indie and AAA.

You responded by saying "no no those don't count, because blah blah blah" and then used review scores and sales to define whether these games existed or not.

Here's a few upcoming games just for good measure.

Guilty Gear XRD 2, Neir: Automata, Yooka-Laylee, Vampyr, Lords of the Fallen 2, .

I could keep going if you'd like.

AA and A games still come out and are quite prevelant.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:

So, I'm going to quote you here for a second.

"There is only AAA and indie, nothing in between. "

I listed roughly half a dozen games off the top of my head that fall in-between indie and AAA.

You responded by saying "no no those don't count, because blah blah blah" and then used review scores and sales to define whether these games existed or not.

Here's a few upcoming games just for good measure.

Guilty Gear XRD 2, Neir: Automata, Yooka-Laylee, Vampyr, Lords of the Fallen 2, .

I could keep going if you'd like.

AA and A games still come out and are quite prevelant.

I didn't say those games didn't count (at least not all of them, two of the titles you listed were part of quite big multi-media franchises.) I said those games weren't successful, which means there is very little incentive to produce more of them. And of course I did not literally mean there weren't any attempts at successful middleware, just that compared to the hundreds of games released in a generation, they are quite few and more often than not - unsucessful. Compare the budgets of games released in the PS2 era to those released today. You'll find a much wider and fuller range. Because you can find a few select titles (which fail anyway) does not mean there isn't a large trend toward games either being small kickstarter projects funded by fans or AAA titles with microtransactions.  The only place middleware has found a home where it can get by is on handhelds, and that is because people have lower expectations when it comes to asset quality for handheld games. There is a reason why Japanese third parties have transitioned to handhelds, and it isn't just because of consumer trends. 

bunchanumbers said:
Seriously? Nintendo practically invented the arms race when they made sure SNES was more powerful than Genesis, showed off the 64 bit graphics of the N64 over the PlayStation and made sure that GCN could go toe to toe with Xbox and PlayStation.

Actually, before even that.  The NES launched at the same time as Sega's first console but it blew it away in terms of graphics and processing power, which gave it an unbeatable advantage.  

The Nintendo empire was founded by using the graphical arms race to their advantage.

pokoko said:
bunchanumbers said:
Seriously? Nintendo practically invented the arms race when they made sure SNES was more powerful than Genesis, showed off the 64 bit graphics of the N64 over the PlayStation and made sure that GCN could go toe to toe with Xbox and PlayStation.

Actually, before even that.  The NES launched at the same time as Sega's first console but it blew it away in terms of graphics and processing power, which gave it an unbeatable advantage.  

The Nintendo empire was founded by using the graphical arms race to their advantage.

Yeah that was the thing Yamauchi always made sure happened with consoles. I miss him.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

You all talk like a weaker console means mindblowing creativity in all games or something.

Not necessarily, but it does allow publishers to refocuse their priorities toward new ideas. The Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, PSP, PS VITA, and PC are the platforms I personally feel have/had the most innovative games in the largest numbers for the last two generations. Why? Because you can't get sales based on pretty assets alone. A game like The Order 1886 which was only popular because of its high production asset quality and aesthetics would never exist on these platforms (besides PC: see Crysis.) The power constraints just don't allow it. 

I believe PC is the leader in innovative software because it offers both graphical hardware and user interface advancements. I wish home consoles could provide both but since I have a PC that already does both and with home console hardware I have to chose between the two, I will always pick the advancements in user interface. That is why I tend to buy into Nintendo because they offer exactly what I want in gaming advancements.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000