By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch is where the Industry should be by now

So we should hate those 2-3 $200M summer blockbuster movies because we would get more lower budget but also good movies?

Why not both?

Around the Network
pokoko said:
This argument, in a nutshell:

"I want a smaller glass because it holds less than a bigger glass."

If that sounds like it doesn't make any sense, that's because it doesn't. A bigger glass can hold just as little as a smaller glass.

Hardware like the PS4 can have Uncharted 4. It can also have Minecraft, Rocket League, and Gravity Rush 2. It's got Call of Duty, Killing Floor 2, and Dragon Quest Builders.

This argument of creating an artificial barrier at whatever level Nintendo is at falls flat in the face of reality.

Besides that, why stop at the Switch, which isn't that far away from the XO? Why not stop at the Wii U? Or the Wii?

It's just an excuse, really, to justify Nintendo being somewhat weaker by comparison. Even then, it doesn't make a lot of sense, as people were saying the same thing last gen about the PS3/360 and the Switch is more powerful. If people wanted to be taken seriously with this argument, they'd include the Switch, too.

Thank you, someone need to slap some sense into these nintendo fanboys

"Middleware" only died out because publishers were selling it for the same price as games that offered a lot more. It made no sense.

It was like selling a Yugo at the same price as a Mercedes. They're both cars, right?

The model was terrible, as it depended on consumers buying products blind, like they did in previous eras. That's not going to happen in the age we live in now. People now roughly know the relative value of something before they buy it.

Then indies came along and proved that smaller games with smaller prices could sell very well and reinventing middleware from the ground up.

Normchacho said:
sc94597 said:

The indie scene is only so popular because the middleware market has been demolished. There is only AAA and indie, nothing in between. 

That is...not true. Unless you count anything that isn't an indie game as AAA. 

Recore, Ratchet & Clank, Gravity Rush 2, Styx: Master of Shadows, Farming Simulator, Transformers Devistation, Attack On Titan...just off the top of my head.

Recore has mediocre review scores and sales. Point made. 

Ratchet & Clank varies in production values, but I would definitely call the most recent entry AAA, and it shows in the popularity of the latest entry versus. the PS3 titles which had much smaller budgets. 

Styx gets most supported on PC where mid-budget software still survives to an extent. The PS4 and XBO ports didn't get much attention, and again the review scores are mediocre. 

I've never even heard of Transformers Devastation, but the title seems to be running off of name recognition. 

Attack On the Titan is a  very  popular anime series, again name recognition. 

Ironically, Ratchet & Clank is the most successful and that is the title I'd say has AAA production values. 

sc94597 said:
Boutros said:

How is that even true? The indie scene is super popular on digital platforms..

The indie scene is only so popular because the middleware market has been demolished. There is only AAA and indie, nothing in between. 

Handheld games?

Around the Network
Boutros said:
sc94597 said:

Handheld games?

Sure, but doesn't that bolster the OP's point with the Switch being a good thing? 

I'll use GTA V as an example. when GTA V came to PS4 and xbox one, the graphics were enhanced but it also included some new features such as higher player count in GTA online and a first person mode. the guys at rockstar originally wanted to include this mode in the ps3/360 version but couldn't because there wasn't enough memory available. so you see having better hardware IS important in making games better.

Seriously? Nintendo practically invented the arms race when they made sure SNES was more powerful than Genesis, showed off the 64 bit graphics of the N64 over the PlayStation and made sure that GCN could go toe to toe with Xbox and PlayStation.

KLXVER said:
chakkra said:

"And pushes the industry with other innovations besides graphics hardware"

Would you mind to elaborate for me what are those innovations that are going to push the industry forward?

Dude, you can play Rock Paper Scissors with your console. I mean what more could you want?

LOL

Yeah you're right.  I don't know what I was thinking.

sc94597 said:
Boutros said:

Handheld games?

Sure, but doesn't that bolster the OP's point with the Switch being a good thing? 

The Switch is a home console according to Nintendo. Nintendo also confirmed that they will continue support of the 3DS. That means if not production values what is the real difference between the 3DS and the Switch? Sounds to me like the 3DS is a more affordable device where games are smaller in scale and can be sold at a lower price (essentially middleware titles). So there's still a dedicated place for middleware games in the industry.