By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch is where the Industry should be by now

This argument, in a nutshell:

"I want a smaller glass because it holds less than a bigger glass."

If that sounds like it doesn't make any sense, that's because it doesn't. A bigger glass can hold just as little as a smaller glass.

Hardware like the PS4 can have Uncharted 4. It can also have Minecraft, Rocket League, and Gravity Rush 2. It's got Call of Duty, Killing Floor 2, and Dragon Quest Builders.

This argument of creating an artificial barrier at whatever level Nintendo is at falls flat in the face of reality.

Besides that, why stop at the Switch, which isn't that far away from the XO? Why not stop at the Wii U? Or the Wii?

It's just an excuse, really, to justify Nintendo being somewhat weaker by comparison. Even then, it doesn't make a lot of sense, as people were saying the same thing last gen about the PS3/360 and the Switch is more powerful. If people wanted to be taken seriously with this argument, they'd include the Switch, too.

Around the Network

Stuck in a ditch?

Yeah don't worry, I'm sure the rest of the industry will be there soon enough.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Wow! The OP would make one hell of a PR guy for Nintendo. C'mon?! Switch, as are all Nintendo consoles, is a huge risk. Nintendo always risks going against the norm. I commended the company for that. But I've not enjoyed anything from Nintendo since N64. What the OP lists as "where the industry should be right now" sounds exactly like what mobile gaming is right now. So, yeah... No thank you!

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

SWORDF1SH said:
But with the PS4 I get a selection of all types of games with all types of budgets with all type of art styles. I'm not sure I would want weaker harder and narrow down what types of game could be available to me.

Can you milk cows on the PS4?

Checkmate

100% agree as well.

Around the Network

you do realise it's not just graphics that get upgraded with better hardware right?

Boutros said:
sc94597 said:

Because innovative ideas from low-end, non-AAA developers can't compete with the new pretty but stale Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed and higher costs mean more microtransactions and failed products. 

How is that even true? The indie scene is super popular on digital platforms..

The indie scene is only so popular because the middleware market has been demolished. There is only AAA and indie, nothing in between. 

pokoko said:
This argument, in a nutshell:

"I want a smaller glass because it holds less than a bigger glass."

If that sounds like it doesn't make any sense, that's because it doesn't. A bigger glass can hold just as little as a smaller glass.

Hardware like the PS4 can have Uncharted 4. It can also have Minecraft, Rocket League, and Gravity Rush 2. It's got Call of Duty, Killing Floor 2, and Dragon Quest Builders.

This argument of creating an artificial barrier at whatever level Nintendo is at falls flat in the face of reality.

Besides that, why stop at the Switch, which isn't that far away from the XO? Why not stop at the Wii U? Or the Wii?

It's just an excuse, really, to justify Nintendo being somewhat weaker by comparison. Even then, it doesn't make a lot of sense, as people were saying the same thing last gen about the PS3/360 and the Switch is more powerful. If people wanted to be taken seriously with this argument, they'd include the Switch, too.

This. Making hardware that requires devs to perform cartwheels just to implement all of it's crazy gimicks is way worse than more powerful hardware.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

sc94597 said:
Boutros said:

The indie scene is only so popular because the middleware market has been demolished. There is only AAA and indie, nothing in between. 

That is...not true. Unless you count anything that isn't an indie game as AAA. 

Recore, Ratchet & Clank, Gravity Rush 2, Styx: Master of Shadows, Farming Simulator, Transformers Devistation, Attack On Titan...just off the top of my head.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

sc94597 said:
Boutros said:

The middleware market is completely fine. Its just developing for PC now. And its not developing for PC because the console graphics arms race is getting too extreme. Its because the arms race is behind on tech. It costs a hell of a lot more money to develop a game to try to look decent on low quality machines than it does to make a game look decent on good machines.  Whatever it cost them to develop Zelda they could have done for probably half the cost on a PC and it'd be a better game in the end.