By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Xbox One will outsell Switch 3 to 1 this year

Qwark said:
onionberry said:

and those are amazing games, I'm talking about exclusive content that make people buy consoles, halo wars 2 is great but not the halo games that sells consoles, crackdown we will see, but so far 0 gameplay and just tech demos so I can't judge, sea of thieves a new interesting ip just like sunset overdrive, not a system seller. Those other games are on ps4 and pc too so I don't know if the sales are going to be affected by those games.

Let's say that Switch have zelda, splatoon 2, mario kart 8 deluxe and super mario,that alone is going to garantize good sales the first year, if the rumor of a pokemon star game is real, that thing with outsell the xbox guaranteed (this year) just because of Nintendo fans and Pokemon fans, and I'm not talking about sales if the system is a massive success with the mainstream and casual gamers.

A system can still sell great on third party support besides I am sure Xbox has something in store for the end of this year. I think the Xone will sell at least 8 million units this year and I think the Scorpio is  product that will sell a million units alone. The PS4 pro for instance is doing quite well in Europe.

I'm not saying the xbox one is not going to sell great, I'm saying that is not going to outsell the switch 3 to 1 for the reasons above, could outsell the switch by a bit just like the switch could outsell the xbox one if the system has pokemon this year. Let's be negative and all that stuff be we should not be naive, this thing is going to sell better than the wii u and the scenario looks a brighter than previous years. Of course, my opinion is based on me thinking that Nintendo will produce enough switches for the first year. So we have different scenarios, should be an interesting year.

Around the Network

I dont even think the scorpio will do better than the PS4 pro in sales.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

3.1 is....really?

The Switch is going to get a new console buzz, with any damage the presentation might have caused controlled by future directs. There is a Fire Emblem one coming up soon, and given the Fire Emblem Warriors teaser I think we can guess what it will show for it.

That alone could heal a bit of damage given how well Hyrule Warriors did.

Plus it actually has first party exclusives which can drive sales, especially on Nintendo systems. Mario and Zelda sell systems.

Will it beat X-Box? We can only find out, but I doubt X-Box can 3.1 it.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

onionberry said:
Qwark said:

A system can still sell great on third party support besides I am sure Xbox has something in store for the end of this year. I think the Xone will sell at least 8 million units this year and I think the Scorpio is  product that will sell a million units alone. The PS4 pro for instance is doing quite well in Europe.

I'm not saying the xbox one is not going to sell great, I'm saying that is not going to outsell the switch 3 to 1 for the reasons above, could outsell the switch by a bit just like the switch could outsell the xbox one if the system has pokemon this year. Let's be negative and all that stuff be we should not be naive, this thing is going to sell better than the wii u and the scenario looks a brighter than previous years. Of course, my opinion is based on me thinking that Nintendo will produce enough switches for the first year. So we have different scenarios, should be an interesting year.

On the last statement we can agree on, but I still think the Xone will outsell the Switch rather easy. It's not going to be 3:1 though. I don't even think the PS4 can do that (although it probably will outsell them combined). Outselling the Wii U is not something to be proud of or should be a goal for Nintendo to begin with ;)

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

4m for Scorpio is straight up crazy. It would be amazing if it hit half of that.

And Xbox isn't going to hit 12m overall, there is nothing exclusive to push sales and Sony has the far better marketing deals. I don't see Xbox hitting 10m+ in a year this gen, it just doesn't have enough going for it and doesn't have enough countries that care about it.

As for Switch, it comes down to what else Nintendo announce at E3. If it's nothing substantial, then 4m for Switch by year's end is reasonable. If they announce Pokemon Stars and bundle that in with the console around the holidays for $299, plus perhaps maybe a couple more games not yet announced, I think Switch can do 6m by year's end.

Around the Network

I do agree, though we gotta see Scorpio's price, 3 to 1 is very iffy.

Scorpio will be $499 and I predict the Switch moves at least 7m consoles by year's end. Might be north of 10m if there are a lot of projects announced at E3 and all the (EDIT: previously) announced games actually land in the US before January 1st.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Geralt said:
derpysquirtle64 said:
No. I think Xbox One will outsell Switch but 3:1 is not gonna happen. Xbox One sold 6 maybe 7 million units in 2016. I highly doubt it will sell 12 millions this year

With a cheaper price, more games, and new system upgrade its easily possible to do 30% better than a typical year!

I doubt it. First of all, Xbox sales at the beginning of the year will not be great I think. Not a lot of games before E3, some people won't be buying Xbox because they would wait for Scorpio. Also, it was stated at last E3 that Scorpio will be released holiday 2017, so most likely it will be  November. 

jason1637 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:
No. I think Xbox One will outsell Switch but 3:1 is not gonna happen. Xbox One sold 6 maybe 7 million units in 2016. I highly doubt it will sell 12 millions this year

VGC is missing Dec so it is probably closer to 9m

Right now Xbox is at 5.8m. Some data supposes PS4 to win December in US but Xbox to win second half of the year overall. Also it is said that Xbox had the best month in US in December, so it is supposed to sell something like 1.3-1.5m. But I doubt that it sold the same amount in Europe. So, 9m in 2016 is impossible. 

I think 2017 is the year for PS4 and Switch, 2018 will be the goal for microsoft, release the hardware this year (like sony did last year) and announce the games for next year, so I think your predicion will be quite a bit off

Twitter @CyberMalistix