By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871
Mafioso said:

May as wells open up the market completely, let your developers imagination run wild 

May as well let their imaginations run wild by having them develope for indistinguishable x86 machines.

Around the Network
specialk said:
Mafioso said:

May as wells open up the market completely, let your developers imagination run wild 

May as well let their imaginations run wild by having them develope for indistinguishable x86 machines.

Better off with technology that finds its way to scale down than imagination  tamed around the limits of a very dated piece of hardware.

We have Nintendo's business practices as the culprit as to why we are playing Zelda in 720p in 2017. Fabulous game regardless, but clearly could've reached greater heights in both visual quality and framerate on more powerful devices, better compatible with modern displays, greater color depth, etc...closer to the vision the artists imagined.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

That would be cool for ME as I'm only interested in Zelda, I doubt it's happening so I won't ever play it unless I can emulate it on pc.

btw it was kinda funny reading all the comments lol, people takes it so personal with these companies, they don't care about you.

Mafioso said:

Better off with technology that finds its way to scale down than imagination  tamed around the limits of a very dated piece of hardware.

We have Nintendo's business practices as the culprit as to why we are playing Zelda in 720p in 2017. Fabulous game regardless, but clearly could've reached greater heights in both visual quality and framerate on more powerful devices, better compatible with modern displays, greater color depth, etc...closer to the vision the artists imagined.

Are better framerates and higher resolutions your idea of imagination run wild? 

Barkley said:
Ck1x said:

That's the thing though, you aren't forced to buy anything. It's not like water or air that you need it to live...

No... that's why I said I'm forced to buy the hardware IF I want to be able to buy the games.

The same goes for any of the big 3 console manufacturers.  If you want to play Gears of War and Halo, etc., you have to buy an XBox.  If you want to play Uncharted, etc., you have to buy a PlayStation.  The choice is yours as to whether or not you want to spend the money on the hardware to play those games.  In 2006, when Sony asked me to spend $599 on a video game console I said "no", regardless of how much enjoyment I got out of my PS1 & PS2.  I didn't moan about not being able to play Sony's games on my Wii or XBox 360, which I was able to buy both of for just about the price of 1 PS3.  Playing video games is a luxury.  How much you spend on that luxury is all up to you and how much you are willing to spend on it.  Not you specifically, but the hypocrisy of so many people claiming their desire for Nintendo to go 3rd Party being for pro-consumer motives is ironic, when it is actually very anti-consumer to limit choice in such a way.

Around the Network

Only graphics whores want nintendo to go 3rd party.

TheBlackNaruto said:
Ck1x said:

It's no different than when people asked Nintendo if they would put their mainline franchises on mobile and they said no, they would create content that draws in players to Nintendo's primary gaming platform. So how would putting all of their big games on Playstation or Xbox interest people in wanting a Switch? 

The Switch is a dedicated mobile gaming device because its primary function is to play games and it has a battery! Netflix or Hulu wouldn't change that fact at all. The PS4 is not less of a home console because it just so happens to run those apps also, it's just a home console with extra features.

I say the goalpost are moving because Nintendo has chosen not to make a dedicated home console and continues to put out apps on mobile. Now just because people aren't getting Nintendo games on their home console of choice they feel the company should now stop making hardware altogether. Why so Sony can release a handheld and Nintendo can then support that device instead of their own? 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on topics like these but in the end it doesn't make them facts... There's a widespread mentality in the gaming community that if it doesn't run on my favorite piece of plastic then it shouldn't exist. 

Okay but NONE of that explains your last statement that because it doesn't say Sony on the box that it hurts some peoples feelings though. That's what I was asking. And you stated the Switch was the most powerful dedicated gaming device ever created. And that was my first time ever seeing that so I was curious how you came to that conclusion. But are you meaning just mobile?

Also no goalposts have been moved people have been saying that about Nin going 3rd party since long before the Switch. So nothing has changed there, me personally I am not a huge fan on Nin games outside of 2 or 3 games  so it doesn't really bother me either way if they go 3rd party or not. It just seems odd when these topics come up and a person give thier opinion and some points that people attack them instead of debating things with them.

Heck in this thread alone I have seen people talk about being hurt because they can't play  the games on their console of choice. The well tell your console of choice to make better games.  The Sony and MS only care about graphics amd don't care about gameplay and innovation narrative smh. It is odd just to attack someone fot having  a different opinion.  Heck Sony and MS seem to take WAY more chances  than Nin imo of course. MS always gets crap for pumping out the same stuff Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable. Or Sony with Uncharted/Gran Turismo/God of war but Nin can make 50 iterations of Mario, 20 Pokemon games, 10 Zelda games and it is amazing. I just don't get that. I loved Pikmin when it came out because it was something new and it felt like they were finally taking a chance to me. I don't know it is just to each his/her own based on their tastes 

You just summed up this whole ridiculous port begging theme for me... If most people on other systems feel that Nintendo has just been rehashing the same franchises, then why would anyone want them to go 3rd party? Let their rehashed games stay on their underpowered hardware and everyone wins!

You make it sound as though the people for Nintendo going 3rd party have come in and dropped some amazing thoughts and facts on why it makes sense for them to do such a thing. There's nothing to debate when people provide nothing to back up such a claim or opinion.

specialk said:
Mafioso said:

Are better framerates and higher resolutions your idea of imagination run wild? 

Not entirely as the game already shipped on its design constraint, but its the first thing that would benefit and removing those slowdowns would improve the lagfest that can ensue and soft image scaling to a television.  Better texture filtering,  AI, animations, characer models, draw distances/better DoF, physics...would all be of higher quality....without even taking into account he freedom to design further outside the Switch limitations.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Vertigo-X said:
Lawlight said:

This post doesn't work when you look at Sony's first party studios output.

Oh, ho! You sound like a Nintendo supporter! ;)

(edit) Also, Naum's right: given the power of a good gaming PC, just imagine what Sony's first party devs could do if they weren't constricted by PS4's weak hardware! Sony should definitely go 3rd party.

New idea for a thread! "Can we agre Sony should go third party, now?"

What would the devs do with more power that they cannot do now? You haven't given a good reason for Sony to go third party. Also, you're not saying going 3rd party - you're saying Sony should go PC exclusive which makes no sense.

Mafioso said:

Not entirely as the game already shipped on its design constraint, but its the first thing that would benefit and removing those slowdowns would improve the lagfest that can ensue and soft image scaling to a television.  Better texture filtering,  AI, animations, characer models, draw distances/better DoF, physics...would all be of higher quality....without even taking into account he freedom to design further outside the Switch limitations.

I agree that Zelda would benefit from most of the things that you mentioned. It's a worthy tradeoff though.

I wouldn't be able to play BotW on the train with a PS4. I wouldn't be able to use gyro aiming to make an ice bridge across a river on the Xbox One.

And that's just one game. And not even a Switch specific game.

Here is a shortlist of things that I would have missed out on had Nintendo gone third party at any of the various points in its history:

- Good, non mobile phone portable gaming.

- Games that utilize dual screens.

- Games that utilize steroscopic 3D.

- Most local multiplayer games

I love high res images and high framerates, but those things above have generally been worth more to me. Playing Twilight Princess on the Wii U with second-screen inventory management is more appealing to me than playing it in 4K on a PC, for example. 

These perforamnce and image quality differences seem like a big thing now, but I find that they're never that important in hindsight. There is something fun about having the latest and greatest in hardware, but I recently went back and played two games that came out around the same time. Super Mario Galaxy and Metal Gear Solid 4.

At the time, I thought MGS4 was the most incredible thing I'd ever seen. When using component cables though, Mario Galaxy looks as good or better.