By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871

As a fan of Nintendo's games but not their hardware, I say YES!

Around the Network

"Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?"

Hahahahahahahah, NOPE.

BraLoD said:
AZWification said:

They should have gone third party in 1889, BraLoD.

That's 110 years before LoD, those days sucked anyway.

We had ET between 83 and 99, those years weren't too bad.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

CaptainExplosion said:
miz1q2w3e said:

Yeah, I meant provided that they still make quality games, I see no downside.

Upsides would inculde: better graphics/performance, less gimmics, cost (I would only have to buy one system), focus on one system for all games; Nintendo + third party + (ideally) Playstation exclusives, also pay for only one online subscription.

There is one downside; It wouldn't be allowed to be called a NINTENDO console. -_-

¯_(ツ)_/¯

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:

Those game could easily be done on the PS4 with Move.  The only problem is going to be...who the hell wants to look at each other while playing a VIDEO game.  The point of a video game is to look at what your character does on screen.  Not look at the other player the whole time, while maybe side glancing at the TV.  Not even Wii tried to get away with that BS, and those games could have easily been pulled off with the Wii Motion+.

I seriously do not see those games performing well.  You might as well put on those blow up Sock'em boxing gloves and just go at each other.  And hell, 1,2 Switch could probably be done with a $40-$60 piece of HW that connects to the TV that comes with simple motion controllers.  Definitely not worth plopping down $360 bucks for.  I guess $430 if you want to go two players in Arms.

Yeah, lets have the game be connected to a hard to find, extremely rarely supported extra peripheral lol. Just Dance doesn't even advertise the Move on the box anymore, and that's pretty much the only game that still supports it. Might as well say Kinect could do the game, too. At the end of the day, nah. Arms will be unique to the Switch. Nothing like it on the other consoles.

1,2 Switch looks fun because it is different. Nothing wrong with facing someone else while you play. I'm sure you probably didn't think Wii Sports would do well, either.

Do you honestly think there will be a console that is incredibly popular as the Wii, but uses the same exact gimmick? If so, how naive. Even the original Wii didn't keep gamers captivated. It's appeal lasted only ~3 years. People stopped buying it and people who had it stopped buying its games, hence it having to crawl to 100M (when people thought it would match/beat PS2) and having the lowest tie ratio of that gen. Face it, motion control was a gimmick and people are getting tired of them. If the failures of Wii U and the XBO+Kinect don't prove that, then I guess you'll continue to be lost on trends and the way the market is moving.

And yea, Wii Sports was popular, but at the height of the Wii's success. It also allowed you to look at your character onscreen. Again, the point of a VIDEO game.

Around the Network
miz1q2w3e said:
CaptainExplosion said:

There is one downside; It wouldn't be allowed to be called a NINTENDO console. -_-

¯_(ツ)_/¯

He's basically proving my point about some Nintendo fans only wanting them to stay in the HW biz out of pride and not what they bring to the market HW-wise.  There is little to no reason to believe Nintendo games would decrease in quality if they went 3rd party.  Unless, they are saying that Pokemon Go and Mario Run are utter shit.  Of course, they wouldn't say that, as I'm sure they think that they are among the better mobile games out there.

And Sega can't be brought into this, as when they quit HW, they were practically bankrupt and had lower budgets for games and kinda had to push whatever out to make money.  Nintendo is in a much better situation finacially, but are in the same HW situation.  It's not that their HW is crap, it just doesn't appeal to gamers, mainly due to lack of power and support from 3rd parties.  And, lately, Nintendo's reliance on control gimmicks to sell their HW.  It doesn't help that Nintendo has had a rough time adapting to HD, which has delayed most, if not all, of their games and has led to game droughts.  I could see the same thing happening to the Switch.

thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Yeah, lets have the game be connected to a hard to find, extremely rarely supported extra peripheral lol. Just Dance doesn't even advertise the Move on the box anymore, and that's pretty much the only game that still supports it. Might as well say Kinect could do the game, too. At the end of the day, nah. Arms will be unique to the Switch. Nothing like it on the other consoles.

1,2 Switch looks fun because it is different. Nothing wrong with facing someone else while you play. I'm sure you probably didn't think Wii Sports would do well, either.

Do you honestly think there will be a console that is incredibly popular as the Wii, but uses the same exact gimmick? If so, how naive. Even the original Wii didn't keep gamers captivated. It's appeal lasted only ~3 years. People stopped buying it and people who had it stopped buying its games, hence it having to crawl to 100M (when people thought it would match/beat PS2) and having the lowest tie ratio of that gen. Face it, motion control was a gimmick and people are getting tired of them. If the failures of Wii U and the XBO+Kinect don't prove that, then I guess you'll continue to be lost on trends and the way the market is moving.

And yea, Wii Sports was popular, but at the height of the Wii's success. It also allowed you to look at your character onscreen. Again, the point of a VIDEO game.

Cool story, but the Move is still an irrelevant piece of optional hardware with no support and Nintendo ditching consoles to make PS4 Move games is a stupid idea :)

And Wii Sports is what made the Wii popular. Highly doubtful 1,2 Switch has the same impact, but it looks fun. Fun > looking at the screen, lol.

thismeintiel said:
miz1q2w3e said:

¯_(ツ)_/¯

He's basically proving my point about some Nintendo fans only wanting them to stay in the HW biz out of pride and not what they bring to the market HW-wise.  There is little to no reason to believe Nintendo games would decrease in quality if they went 3rd party.  Unless, they are saying that Pokemon Go and Mario Run are utter shit.  Of course, they wouldn't say that, as I'm sure they think that they are among the better mobile games out there.

And Sega can't be brought into this, as when they quit HW, they were practically bankrupt and had lower budgets for games and kinda had to push whatever out to make money.  Nintendo is in a much better situation finacially, but are in the same HW situation.  It's not that their HW is crap, it just doesn't appeal to gamers, mainly due to lack of power and support from 3rd parties.  And, lately, Nintendo's reliance on control gimmicks to sell their HW.  It doesn't help that Nintendo has had a rough time adapting to HD, which has delayed most, if not all, of their games and has led to game droughts.  I could see the same thing happening to the Switch.

Well, Past experience tells that every hardware manufacture that has dropped HW has lost relevance and quality. Looking hardware mean losing a selling channel and only be able to release games that are going to sell well enough, so that many less risks. Also, Nintendo optimistic its hardware,  and there's no proofs that would be about to do the same with other machines. 

Also there are people that like Nintendo consoles more than PSX or XBOX,  so they want them to continue doing those. I 

Finally, I haven't played Mario Run and certain I won't pay for it. Pokémon Go is pretty repetitive, I know dozens of better mobile games, although at least is original...

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:

Cool story, but the Move is still an irrelevant piece of optional hardware with no support and Nintendo ditching consoles to make PS4 Move games is a stupid idea :)

And Wii Sports is what made the Wii popular. Highly doubtful 1,2 Switch has the same impact, but it looks fun. Fun > looking at the screen, lol.

Well, glad it looks fun to you.  But, I highly doubt it will be successful.  Not with the ads I've seen for it.  Eating a hamburger?  Counting balls?  Only thing remotely interesting about it is the quickdraw, but most people are still going to rather play a video game on TV.  Even with the Wii, Nintendo knew this.  And definitely not $350 worth of content there.

As for Move, maybe you are missing my point.  Wouldn't be the first time.  I just said that MOTION CONTROLS ARE A GIMMICK AND PEOPLE ARE GETTING TIRED OF GIMMICKS.  Again, look at the failure of Wii U and Kinect for evidence. How does that translate to I want Nintendo to make Move games.  I'm just saying if they HAVE to make motion control games, there are options.  Personally, and I think most would agree (especially before the reveal), they just want Nintendo to make good games that don't force gimmicks into them.  Something they can definitely do as a 3d party.

Entropio said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, Past experience tells that every hardware manufacture that has dropped HW has lost relevance and quality. Looking hardware mean losing a selling channel and only be able to release games that are going to sell well enough, so that many less risks. Also, Nintendo optimistic its hardware,  and there's no proofs that would be about to do the same with other machines. 

Also there are people that like Nintendo consoles more than PSX or XBOX,  so they want them to continue doing those. I 

Finally, I haven't played Mario Run and certain I won't pay for it. Pokémon Go is pretty repetitive, I know dozens of better mobile games, although at least is original...

If you're HW doesn't sell well, then that also closes a channel that could be causing loses, including never recovering your R&D costs.  And every example of someone stopping HW is a company that either were going bankrupt or were bankrupt.  Which means they cut costs on their future games and most likely lost a lot of their good staff in the process.  If Nintendo does it before they start losing any money on HW or games that don't sell well, they'll have no problem maintaining the quality.

And yes, there are those who prefer Nintendo HW.  Unfortunately for Nintendo, that crowd keeps declining in numbers.