By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871

Lol, of course not.

Around the Network

ALWAYS AND FOREVER!

It won't happen though, but it should.

I'm now filled with determination.

Just from the reveal, two of the more unique and entertaining looking games, Arms and 1,2 Switch either would not exist on the other platforms, or would be drastically different.

Nintendo platforms are where you go for innovation in the console space. MicroSony is where you go for the industry standard stuff. SEGA is a perfect example of this. Ever since they went multi, their once unique and innovative software pretty much disappeared.

I voted 'Shaddup, you Pony!' but I feel the need to apologize to Ponies and Bronies for the insult.

I see potential, but they got go FULL Wii on this: bundle a motion sports game with it and advertise on Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, every kiddie movie ever made from now on.
This can be the next Wii.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

They should have gone third party in 1889, BraLoD.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Ka-pi96 said:

Some people already accuse Nintendo of that though. And while they may be wrong, so is your accusation of EA doing it.

Titanfall
Plants Vs Zombies
Mirrors Edge
EA Sports UFC
Unravel
Peggle

All new franchises, smaller games or both that EA have made within the last few years. Just because their main franchises are the ones most people know about doesn`t mean that others don`t exist.

You are listing PopCap games that EA didn't make but acquired through buying PopCap...  You might as well throw Bejeweled in there as well.

BraLoD said:
Soundwave said:

The problem with Nintendo going third party outright is I don't think they'd simply be as good of a company that way.

They wouldn't bother to try ideas like Splatoon or ARMS or bring back niche IP like Kid Icarus or Pilotwings or Punch-Out! etc. etc.

It would just be Mario/Mario Kart/Smash/Pokemon/Donkey Kong/Kirby/Zelda and maybe Metroid once in a while over and over and over again, just like companies like EA only make FIFA/Star Wars/Battlefield/Madden NFL/NHL, etc.

When you don't have any responsibility to a hardware platform, you have no real responsibility to growing the user base.

It's not like the Switch games look awful or anything, Zelda and Mario and even ARMS all look quite pretty. Would I prefer them running on a 1 TFLOP system at least? Sure. But I do like we are actually getting a real trade off this time in portability ... now I can play these games on long flights, to me that's a big plus, whereas the Wii/Wii U were underpowered for the sake of a controller, and that wore off real quick.

That's one point I always see people post, but I disagree.

Nintendo would now have to secure themselves doing games and only games, if anything I think Nintendo would try more, the problem would be if they really do center way too much on their already successful IPs thinking they can only succeed with them, but I seriously don't see Nintendo doing that instead of trying to always have more viables options to make money with.

I, too, don't see how Nintendo would suffer creatively for going 3rd party.  If anything, it frees up their time and resources from developing HW, as well as trying to get games that look close to PS3 graphics to run competently on their limited HW.  I mean we are going to be seeing the PS5 in a couple years, which will look even better than Pro games at 4K, while Nintendo games still look a little better than PS3 games on a 720p screen, possibly 900p/1080p with the dock?  Talk about getting with the times. 

And if they truly want to focus on motion controls, they'd have them on the PS4 and PC.  Probably much more accurate than something that just relies on whatever they are using in the Joycons.  Wouldn't be surprised if they are just the Wii Motion + in a different package.  Either way, Nintendo needs to learn that motion controls were a fad.  The only use they really serve in gaming now is for VR and maybe Just Dance, though sales of that are down, too.  Sony and MS have learned that lesson this gen.  And really, even Nintendo fans admit as much.  Well, they did BEFORE the reveal.

In the end, it means no more having to compensate for poor HW sales and the losses caused by them.  They are going to save a buttload on not having to have their own online network, something they still haven't gotten right, and its 2017.  No more R&D time and money wasted on HW only the diehard Nintendo fans and a few casuals will stomach.  Someone mentioned going 3rd party would cut down on licensing fees they get for games on their system.  My answer is, what licensing fees?  Nintendo probably only makes 10% of what Sony makes on those fees, if that, considering they have such poor 3rd party support.  Selling to 100M+ more potential customers, even more if they go mobile and PC, as well, would definitely make up for that.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Just from the reveal, two of the more unique and entertaining looking games, Arms and 1,2 Switch either would not exist on the other platforms, or would be drastically different.

Nintendo platforms are where you go for innovation in the console space. MicroSony is where you go for the industry standard stuff. SEGA is a perfect example of this. Ever since they went multi, their once unique and innovative software pretty much disappeared.

Those game could easily be done on the PS4 with Move.  The only problem is going to be...who the hell wants to look at each other while playing a VIDEO game.  The point of a video game is to look at what your character does on screen.  Not look at the other player the whole time, while maybe side glancing at the TV.  Not even Wii tried to get away with that BS, and those games could have easily been pulled off with the Wii Motion+.

I seriously do not see those games performing well.  You might as well put on those blow up Sock'em boxing gloves and just go at each other.  And hell, 1,2 Switch could probably be done with a $40-$60 piece of HW that connects to the TV that comes with simple motion controllers.  Definitely not worth plopping down $360 bucks for.  I guess $430 if you want to go two players in Arms.

There would be zero motivation to try making a game like a new Wave Race or Pilotwings or something. Why spend development resources there when you could just make a Mario RPG or something?

That's what would happen in reality. They'd only make the same 8 or 9 franchises and that's it.

As a hardware maker they're forced to make a more variety of games even when they know certain games are not going to be big sellers because they need variety on the hardware.

Remove that and they have no incentive to work on anything but their main IP.

See also: SEGA. 

You say Nintendo software is tethered to Nintendo hardware as if no one buys Nintendo hardware for Nintendo hardware.

I bought the Wii U because I liked the Gamepad. I bought the 3DS because I liked the the 3-D and dual screens. I bought the Wii because I liked motion controls at the time. I wanted to see how all games would utilize them, not just Nintendo games. This "you buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games" rhetoric needs to stop, because it's out of touch with reality.

I bought the Switch because I like the Switch, not because I like Nintendo games and have to buy their "shitty hardware" to play them.