By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo switch event was a trainwreck

What where your thoughts on the event?

Agreed, it was just awful 151 45.62%

It was ok, not great but ok 116 35.05%

How can you not be hyped?... 64 19.34%

Total:331
Magnus said:
Nintendo continues to give the middle finger to Wii U owners with the Mario Kart 8 port and the fake sequel of Splatoon. It is truly pathetic that they didn't have a new Mario Kart ready by now, and instead they are expecting Wii U owners to buy the game again for something that should have been included in the game at day one. Super Mario Odyssey looks great, but everything else is meh. And the price, paid online and pricey controllers are a joke.

How is Splatoon a fake sequel? I agree on MK8 in that it's not worth it if you already have the Wii U version, but I don't see how that gives the middle finger to Wii U owners, we'll just wait for MK9 like we would anyway while people who haven't played the game i.e. 3DS owners can get the Deluxe edition.

Around the Network

I thought it was poor overall with some bright spots as well. Breath of the Wild looks phenomenal and Super Mario Odyssey looked pretty cool too.

The presentation itself was a bit lame. My wife caught the early part of it and thought it was some sort of parody. She's not much of a gamer so I think it's somewhat defensible.

The price killed it for me though. 400$ for us Canadians is just too much for what they showed me personally.

vivster said:
NintendoPie said:

Come on vivster, when you're already planning to spend north of $200 on an expendable product every penny counts. 

It's 50 fucking bucks for a console that will last for years! that's the price of a single game. There are people out there paying 50 bucks every year just to play online or play a shitty game. But for the core product it's suddenly too much?

50 bucks doesn't matter for us, but for the market it makes it poorly positioned.  $299 is the price a of a PS4 Slim + Uncharted, Xbox One S is less.  The informed buyer will skip Switch, and the parents will get the cheaper Xbox.

My 8th gen collection

Soundwave said:

With games like this Sony and Microsoft must be shaking in their boots

ICStats said:
vivster said:

It's 50 fucking bucks for a console that will last for years! that's the price of a single game. There are people out there paying 50 bucks every year just to play online or play a shitty game. But for the core product it's suddenly too much?

50 bucks doesn't matter for us, but for the market it makes it poorly positioned.  $299 is the price a of a PS4 Slim + Uncharted, Xbox One S is less.  The informed buyer will skip Switch, and the parents will get the cheaper Xbox.

And then the parent will return the Xbox when the kid can't play Nintendo games on it. And if the kid doesn't care about Nintendo games then it wouldn't have wanted the Switch anyways. It's really not that hard.

I still do not believe in the existence of a consumer who has to honestly decide between a Nintendo console or a PS4/X1 based on price.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Guys, Nintendo never intended to show us EVERY game they are working on, so please stop expecting that! They never said that. It's you who lost reality!

This presentation wanted to illustrate how Switch works and what you could do with it. It's an elaboration of the trailer from october. Besides, no company will ever show you all projects they are working on, no matter how far they are. I can't understand having this expectation for Nintendo in the first place.

vivster said:
ICStats said:

And then the parent will return the Xbox when the kid can't play Nintendo games on it. And if the kid doesn't care about Nintendo games then it wouldn't have wanted the Switch anyways. It's really not that hard.

I still do not believe in the existence of a consumer who has to honestly decide between a Nintendo console or a PS4/X1 based on price.

To beat Wii U sales it needs to be bought by more than just the kids that have to have Nintendo games.

My 8th gen collection

Honestly right now I'm just waiting for people to quit throwing temper tantrums so we can have a logical analysis of the system's prospects.

ICStats said:
vivster said:

To beat Wii U sales it needs to be bought by more than just the kids that have to have Nintendo games.

No. To beat Wii U sales(which it easily will) it just has to combine the software libraries of handheld and home console Nintendo. Unless Nintendo stupidly releases a real 3DS successor, there is no chance for the Switch to sell less than Wii U.

But as I said earlier, Wii U sales are not the goal here. It has to reach 40m minimum to not be considered a complete failure.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Knitemare said:

That was my exact tought when i bought the WiiU and guess what?... It didnt. Instead, the high price that I paid for the PS3, was totally worth it. Dont even get me started with the PS2 long lasting value...

The Wii U held up for at least 3 years. If you think 50 bucks spread over 3 years is too much you should not be buying consoles.

Well, the thing is that PS2 cost me $150 total back then, and held up more than 3 times what Wii U did... 3 years is laughable. So, why wouls someone would want to pay more for less?

The topic here is not that $50 bucks is too much, but $50 bucks is too much compared to other options. And yeah, I think Wii U was my last consolo (talking about nintendo at least)

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.