Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo switch event was a trainwreck

What where your thoughts on the event?

Agreed, it was just awful 151 45.62%

It was ok, not great but ok 116 35.05%

How can you not be hyped?... 64 19.34%

Total:331
NintendoPie said:
vivster said:
I still don't get how 299 is so much worse than 249.

Come on vivster, when you're already planning to spend north of $200 on an expendable product every penny counts. 

It's 50 fucking bucks for a console that will last for years! that's the price of a single game. There are people out there paying 50 bucks every year just to play online or play a shitty game. But for the core product it's suddenly too much?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

If anything the sweet spot should've been $199 cause the 3DS got panned badly at $249 ... 

People we're on edge with the 3DS launch price as it is but Nintendo is walking on an even thinner line with the Switch ...

What I saw was good (still don't care either way), but it wasn't enough to drum up a whole event around I didn't think. Ideally this is what E3 is for, but of course, there isn't an E3 between now and when the Switch launches.

fatslob-:O said:
vivster said:

If anything the sweet spot should've been $199 cause the 3DS got panned badly at $249 ... 

People we're on edge with the 3DS launch price as it is but Nintendo is walking on an even thinner line with the Switch ...

The 3DS is garbage compared to the Switch and it sold over 60m with that launch price. Are you saying it would've sold significantly more if it was 50 bucks cheaper at launch?

Launch price doesn't matter unless you have a close competitor releasing at the same time, which Nintendo has not.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The fact that the guy from EA failed to announce upcoming unprecedented supporte was such a missed opportunity, though.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
vivster said:
NintendoPie said:

Come on vivster, when you're already planning to spend north of $200 on an expendable product every penny counts. 

It's 50 fucking bucks for a console that will last for years! that's the price of a single game. There are people out there paying 50 bucks every year just to play online or play a shitty game. But for the core product it's suddenly too much?

Why not make it 400$ then? I'm building at PC that will cost me more than 2000$ when it's done so why shouldn't the switch cost 400$? That's the launch price of the ps4 after all. Or why not make it 500$? As much as the xboxone at launch. People bought those console. Surely they'll have no problems buying the switch at those prices as well.

You see what I'm getting at?

It was ok, leaning on awful. The botched the first part but then it picked up. I don't do nintendo consoles anymore and watching the entire thing, I don't think I ever will.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Safiir said:
vivster said:

Why not make it 400$ then? I'm building at PC that will cost me more than 2000$ when it's done so why shouldn't the switch cost 400$? That's the launch price of the ps4 after all. Or why not make it 500$? As much as the xboxone at launch. People bought those console. Surely they'll have no problems buying the switch at those prices as well.

You see what I'm getting at?

Why not make it 500 indeed. That way they could've put in actual hardware with actual clocks.

Nintendo is not Sony or Microsoft. They don't have a close competitor and their product is unique on the market. They might as well sell it for 500.

I am not too keen on a paid online service, unless of course it follows a similar model to PS+ where I get games with it, then that might not be too bad.

As for games, Mario, Splatoon 2, and Zelda are the only ones that I saw that I truly cared about.

Price point seems okay for the system, not much to complain about there. I'll get it on launch, because I haven't really disliked or regretted any Nintendo console purchase before.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

300$ sound a good earlier adopters milking entry price. This is going to sell well on the first days.

They can drop the price later to keep momentum.