By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guerrilla Cambridge is shutting down

I don't think game development will suffer due to brexit in fact it would make development cheaper thanks to hte dropping value of the pound. We might see a resurgence in UK development once we actually leave the EU.

It seems like one of those Studios that can't create great IP themselves but have highly skilled individuals to get the job done so to speak. Sony should have probably given them something from their IP portfolio to make an updated ps4 version.

Maybe its an accountant thing where someone at Sony has said decrease development costs by 10% and so they have looked for the easiest studios to close. The UK is more flexible and easier to make people redundant than the European mainland where shutting down costs would be higher and met with more resistance.

Maybe if they get to keep the development kits they could knock out some indie Sony VR titles.

Around the Network

RIP MediEvil.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Not a big lose. It's not like they are making a AAA game or anything. So we lost nothing. If they were doing something like Scalebound, then maybe it would be linchmob time. 😐

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
celador said:
Hapuc12 said:

Well i guess it all comes down to how dreams will perform.

Don't know i would like it too tbh if they invested in a new studio.

Yeah Sucker Punch could be closed and Guerrila could sink too it all depends onthem how HZD performs.

I don't think Sucker Punch is any trouble now, they are working on a AAA new-IP.  Guerrilla I don't see closing, not if they have just been trusted with such a big game like Horizon. If it bombs critically and commercially, maybe, but I don't see that happening.

Aside MM, I think SOny Bend would be in most trouble. If Days Gone doesnt' deliver, I don't see why they would be given another chance

Worrying times

I don't know about Bend they never were that big to begin with.

Yup it all comes down if those Games fail HZD,New IP from Punch worrying indeed.

celador said:
Hapuc12 said:

Well i guess it all comes down to how dreams will perform.

Don't know i would like it too tbh if they invested in a new studio.

Yeah Sucker Punch could be closed and Guerrila could sink too it all depends onthem how HZD performs.

I don't think Sucker Punch is any trouble now, they are working on a AAA new-IP.  Guerrilla I don't see closing, not if they have just been trusted with such a big game like Horizon. If it bombs critically and commercially, maybe, but I don't see that happening.

Aside MM, I think SOny Bend would be in most trouble. If Days Gone doesnt' deliver, I don't see why they would be given another chance

Worrying times

Sucker Punch games have always made profit and reviewed pretty well so I dont see SOny closing them. Guerrilla Games will no way be closed, Horizon looks to be going to do pretty well + Kojima just made his studio near Guerrilla and use their engine.

I think Media Molecul is still safe, but Sony Bend is the biggest question mark. Days Gone looks pretty good but it doesnt look multi million selling title to me.

I wish best for Guerrilla Cambridge people and hope some of them get work Guerrilla games and others find jobs in other studios

Around the Network

I still think Media Molecule is on the chopping block once dreams comes out. UK studio that hasn't released anything in a while, currently working on a game that (IMO) doesn't look like a commercial hit

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Very sad news, they were definitely one of the most iconic Playstation developers.
Really hoped to see MediEvil 3 one day.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Yes put them making VR games and then close them , so good ...

This industry is so stupid sometimes....

Isn't VR the new hotness though? They should be pumping VR games out of the anus, not shutting down devs that make VR games. 😕

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

That's very bad news. They made good games and I was hoping we would see more from them...I hope everyone lands on their feet.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Random_Matt said:
The UK gaming industry for developers is problematic, blame the government.

I was wondering about that. Seems supporting a Studio in the UK may just bee to expensive even if they produce quality games.

I remember reading articles about possible tax breaks for developers that were cancelled.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’