By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guerrilla Cambridge is shutting down

The UK gaming industry for developers is problematic, blame the government.

Around the Network
Hapuc12 said:
celador said:
Unfortunate news. Media Molecule may be next after Dreams is done.

I would have liked to see Guerrilla make another Killzone. Any more closures and it will be time to start worrying about where Sony's first party are going

Didn't they open another sister studio for media molecule and aren't they intrested in buying Quantic Dream.

I still wouldn't have much confidence in the future of MM

As for buying QD, it would be up to the studio I guess. I would rather see Sony invest in  a big new studio though.

Even more worrying this is happening when Sony is winning. What could happen next gen if Playstation us underperforming? 

think-man said:
This is Sonys fault, get them to make these risky games and when they flop they close them down. Soon there will be no devs left in the UK.

Let's not be defeatist. The Tax break, the quality of staff and I'm pretty sure the video game industry is the biggest entertainment industry in the UK, all help in keeping games companies in the UK.

Just look at the amount of companies in Guilford.

Just seems this move might just be a moving resources. Cambridge finished their game (which Sony knew was a risk due to it being VR only) so they are moving resources elsewhere, like the new studio and new Media Molecule stuff.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
think-man said:
This is Sonys fault, get them to make these risky games and when they flop they close them down. Soon there will be no devs left in the UK.

Let's not be defeatist. The Tax break, the quality of staff and I'm pretty sure the video game industry is the biggest entertainment industry in the UK, all help in keeping games companies in the UK.

Just look at the amount of companies in Guilford.

Just seems this move might just be a moving resources. Cambridge finished their game (which Sony knew was a risk due to it being VR only) so they are moving resources elsewhere, like the new studio and new Media Molecule stuff.

They were most likely working on a 2nd game tho seeing how they were hiring for a game in a “High Profile, Multi-Million Selling Franchise” over 3 years ago http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07/10/guerrilla-cambridge-working-on-high-profile-multi-million-selling-franchise-new-killzone-coming/

Well, there goes the possibility of MediEvil 3 ever happening RIP only PS franchise I'm atached to :CCCCC

Around the Network
celador said:
Hapuc12 said:

Didn't they open another sister studio for media molecule and aren't they intrested in buying Quantic Dream.

As for buying QD, it would be up to the studio I guess. I would rather see Sony invest in  a big new studio though.

Even more worrying this is happening when Sony is winning. What could happen next gen if Playstation us underperforming? 

Well i guess it all comes down to how dreams will perform.

Don't know i would like it too tbh if they invested in a new studio.

Yeah Sucker Punch could be closed and Guerrila could sink too it all depends onthem how HZD performs.

Were they working on anything after RIGS? Was there nothing planned to do for them?
Is game development getting too expensive in the UK? This is from 2015, UK was a bit aove the global average, while overall game dev salaries are dropping http://www.develop-online.net/news/revealed-average-game-developer-salary-drops-to-31-882/0202512
Not a healthy industry overall :/

SvennoJ said:
Were they working on anything after RIGS? Was there nothing planned to do for them?
Is game development getting too expensive in the UK? This is from 2015, UK was a bit aove the global average, while overall game dev salaries are dropping http://www.develop-online.net/news/revealed-average-game-developer-salary-drops-to-31-882/0202512
Not a healthy industry overall :/

Well UK leaving EU probably not help them since there will be new law on trade etc.

Hapuc12 said:
celador said:

Well i guess it all comes down to how dreams will perform.

Don't know i would like it too tbh if they invested in a new studio.

Yeah Sucker Punch could be closed and Guerrila could sink too it all depends onthem how HZD performs.

I don't think Sucker Punch is any trouble now, they are working on a AAA new-IP.  Guerrilla I don't see closing, not if they have just been trusted with such a big game like Horizon. If it bombs critically and commercially, maybe, but I don't see that happening.

Aside MM, I think SOny Bend would be in most trouble. If Days Gone doesnt' deliver, I don't see why they would be given another chance

Worrying times

This sucks. But, at least says they are going to relocate some to other studios and for the rest, they are going to reach out to other studios in the area. Kinda strange they said they were working on a big game 3 years ago, but don't remember getting anymore info on it. No gameplay, no trailer, no update. I do hope someone will make another Medievil, though.