By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guerrilla Cambridge is shutting down

Sad news, I fear MM might be next.

Random_Matt said:
The UK gaming industry for developers is problematic, blame the government.

Whats happening?

Around the Network

Games are getting more expensive to make. Sony is optimizing its studios for maximum efficiency to reduce costs. Its interesting that Sony says they are working on more PSVR games and at the same time axe the studio that arguably made the best PSVR game. Good luck to the unfortunate souls who lost there jobs.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

poklane said:

They were most likely working on a 2nd game tho seeing how they were hiring for a game in a “High Profile, Multi-Million Selling Franchise” over 3 years ago http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07/10/guerrilla-cambridge-working-on-high-profile-multi-million-selling-franchise-new-killzone-coming/

That was 3 years ago, VR push might have meant  priorities changed...like developing the VR game for example, was that on the cards back then?

pbroy said:

Isn't VR the new hotness though? They should be pumping VR games out of the anus, not shutting down devs that make VR games. 😕

That doesn't mean Sony aren't. Just they thought Cambridge wasn't the one doing it. In reality we should be asking Sony why. i mean it's not even like we won't see a new MediEvil one day as Sony own the IP (look at WipeOut, the studio who made every entry in the series in gone but Sony are still releasing a remaster version of the game).

Hmm, pie.

Are the jobs lost of simply reallocated?
Anyway I wasnt a big fan. Medievil is probably their one game I liked and that feels centuries ago.

It's always odd to see people assigning "blame" when we have absolutely no idea what was happening behind the scenes.

Were they exceeding budget on a consistent basis? Were they missing goals? Were they pitching ideas that weren't well received? If they were working on a game, did it fail to meet expectations? I have no idea and I doubt anyone here does, either. All I know is that Sony does a review every few years where they probably look at all of that, plus payroll, taxes, and every other economic factor.

Any kind of judgement without knowing any of the pertinent data is nothing but empty talk.

One thing I can say is that "second-party" development is going to continue to be a more attractive solution, especially for smaller games and secondary franchises. It's like buying milk by the jug instead of buying the whole cow.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Well that sucks. Poor guys that are losing their jobs

I wonder why this is happening though, it`s not as if they`ve been releasing loads of flops or anything.

This could be the other side of the coin when it comes to games and risk.  In other words, Sony is praised for taking risk but risk hits the bottom line big on misses.  If a Studio becomes a cost instead of profit, as a business, Sony has to remove that company.

MM is a tiny studio they wont cost alot to run

What??!? Killzone Mercenary was an amazing game, wtf Sony.

Turkish said:

Sad news, I fear MM might be next.

Random_Matt said:
The UK gaming industry for developers is problematic, blame the government.

Whats happening?

The British government love tax, always have. There was a minute tax break, but developing games in the UK is too expensive. The government should be supporting the industry, not making it difficult.

I am starting to think the problem might be with UK studios rather than closures left and right...