By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CGI-Quality said:
VAMatt said:
I'd suggest that any official moderation activity that is posted within a thread be given some sort of tag so that users know what's going on. Something as simple as *moderation* or *warning* would do the trick. In some cases, comments that are made by moderators in a normal, conversational style are considered official acts. This confuses me, and likely confuses others as well. Several times I've had to look for the moderator badge to determine whether a comment was joking, trolling, or moderating.

If a Mod has intervened in a way that’s disciplinary, consider it official. Not every Mod will specify if it is/isn’t, so unless otherwise stated, treat it that way.

Okay.  I think that's a bad policy.  I'm making a suggestion to improve it.    

Mods need to remember that there are a lots of users here that don't spend tons of time in the forums, who may be confused by moderation that is not advertised as such.  They don't know the culture here as well as you.  I was confused by it today, and I've been coming here a few times per day, everyday, for a couple years.  How could we possibly expect a new user to understand?  

Around the Network

So, Numberwang posted this thread, and then in the OP didn't say anything about his opinion other than a vague "democracy dies in darkness":
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=235364

That's after a soy thread he made too which had vague intentions. In general, he makes these drive-by/hit and run posts/threads that may appear harmless in isolation but when taken in context there is a pattern. I think that if he's going to make threads that he should at least have to provide more of his own input.

Edit: and even then, his "input" is just taking the slogan of the site and inserting into his post.

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 25 March 2018

An OP posting a thread without any initial input is kinda normal here. Hell, most OPs don't even post or participate in their own threads.

Ka-pi96 said:
Aeolus451 said:
An OP posting a thread without any initial input is kinda normal here. Hell, most OPs don't even post or participate in their own threads.

Not only is it normal, but it's the best kind of thread! When people are posting news or charts (the majority of the threads here) I don't want to see their opinion I want to actually see the news/charts in the OP! If they want to comment on it then they can make a 2nd post, and if it's just somebody reporting news but not commenting on it... so what? If the news is worth discussing then it will be a good thread anyway, and if nobody gives a shit it will soon die out.

That's the kind of forum you really want? If you've seen the thread much of it is speculation over the intent of the TC because he provided nothing of his own.

No Ka-Pi! You're ruining the plan! THE PLAN!!!

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:

I'm disappointed Spurgeonryan has seemingly abandoned his latest thread about flinging heaps of garbage from his car window. I want to learn as much as I can about him before any potential depositions, court cases, ect.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

That's the kind of forum you really want? If you've seen the thread much of it is speculation over the intent of the TC because he provided nothing of his own.

Definitely! I don't want a forum littered with shitty threads where people are trying to push an agenda. Let the news speak for itself, who gives a fuck what the OP's intent is? Their opinion on the topic (if any) should be the same as any other posters and can be added later in the thread or even in the 2nd post, let the OP itself just be an extract of the source that's being used and a link to it. If there's nothing to discuss then don't discuss it, there's plenty of threads that quickly fade away and die because nobody is interested.

There is already an implied agenda with threads like that, but since the TC doesn't elaborate it becomes a guessing game and that just derails meaningful discussion.

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

There is already an implied agenda with threads like that, but since the TC doesn't elaborate it becomes a guessing game and that just derails meaningful discussion.

Then don't try and guess why the thread was created, just discuss the content of the thread itself.

Well, what is there to discuss without a proposition by the TC?

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, what is there to discuss without a proposition by the TC?

The thing they're posting?

To give an example, the way I want threads: New game announced by Sony, person creates a thread using either an extract of an article about the announcement or a trailer for it. Then people discuss the new game announced and it's a good thread.

The way you want threads: New game announced by Sony, person creates a thread about how this newly announced game is going to by an overhyped piece of shit and take 10 years to release because they hate Sony and are trying to push an anti-Sony agenda. Thread almost certainly goes badly with people attacking each other constantly and the mods are forced to step in and start banning people.

Which is preferable?

If I just wanted the news, I'd go to the news sites themselves. The reason why we have forums is to discuss a topic and our viewpoints. VGChartz itself even has news articles, so if you just want the news itself you can go there, and there are even comments for people to respond to them.

It's almost like political threads are different than other threads and should be held to a higher standard.

It's almost like being silent and posting articles that make a certain demographic look like batshit crazy people, while simultaneously not writing anything in your OP, IS a way of asserting an agenda through minimalism ... especially when that's a large majority of your contribution to the site.

Hmmmmmm.