By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Nintendo hatedom go down after the Switch reveal?

your thread title and OP do not match. one asks about the reveal, and the other asks about a hypothetical situation where the switch performs decently in the market. since there is too many variables with your OP, ill just answer the thread title.

The reveal being a "decent success" for Nintendo depends really one who is watching it. For example a lot of people thought Nintendo had a great E3, despite showing just one game. personally i though it was a horrible E3 for them. just showing one game? seriously? however, a lot of people were happy, even though i am sure a much bigger number of gamers didnt give a shit about it.

so it depends on who you ask.

the hardcore nintendo fans? i think they will be rather pleased with the unveiling. if these same people were convinced by 1 game at E3, then i would say Nintendo doesnt need to do much to please them.

people who are interested in nintendo games but not really big fans? hmm... i think for the most part they wont be convinced, obviously some will, but for the most part it wont convince much to buy the system

the core people who are on PC/Xbox/PS? i dont think they will give a shit about whats shown, mainly because it will be more of the same, but instead of on the WiiU it will be on the switch, some ports and other new installments. still, it wont interest the gamers who are getting a vast number of first, second and third party games already. and Zelda, Mario and Pikmin didnt work manage to gather their interest before, and wont do so now.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Nope, I think Nintendo Switch will be successful and it will still get hate. Look how successful the PS4 is and the hate for it still runs wild.

Same goes for all the other platforms tbh, hate for everyone is wild. 

Exactly! I said PS4 because it's currently the most successful console by a long way and it still gets hate. Point being success doesn't get rid of hate.

Actually, I think a lot of hardcore gamers might turn around if the Switch is successful.

For the past two generations peoples questions have been "What system has the best exclusives, the best power, and the best OS and online capabilities". They haven't gotten used to a system that's still game oriented(unlike the WII) but also underpowered compared to the competition(like the Playstation 2). They are used to both systems in the market place being, for the most part, the same system. They're used to just caring about the minor details, the minor power differences, the minor online differences, the minor OS differences, etc.

My point? They're not used to a successful system that's based around games while still being popular and successful among multiple different demographics. I can imagine that a lot of gamers would be surprised if the Switch was as successful as you imagine it to be, and they would come around to it and see that systems like the Switch can succeed, systems that are underpowered and still based around games CAN succeed.

However, there will always be those that don't like an underpowered console, and it makes sense, the Playstation 4 regularly goes for 230-250$ and it has games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, etc.

Many people here have already said what I'm about to say. But let me add another voice to that. Instead of replacing that horrendous wiiu thing with a home console with the power level of current tech, they did something odd and quit the home consoles market to concentrate on handhelds. So no. They can do whatever want but it will not make people who feel abandoned, feel better.

As a mostly home console Nintendo fan, i feel a little shafted, i really have no interest in playing nintendo games on the go, so portability isn't really a big benefit to me.

I will still buy it like i buy every Nintendo console because they always have at least 5 or 6 amazing games per gen, and that's more than enough for me.

Also they always have the most fun co-op games.

Around the Network

Yes, it's been doomed ever since it went to the video gaming industry

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Well, Nintendo has been in a damned if they do damned if the don't scenario for a while. There isn't really any leeway for that hate to go down in this time either.
If they went with a powerful console with superior specs than PS4/XB1 now instead what we all assume they have, People will still tout the Pro and the Scorpio, and the subsequently tout the PS5's arrival. This will lead them to say that the console would be dated and the Wii U all over again and so forth.

We are in the damned if they don't scenario, and Nintendo will get more hate rather than less because we all assume its weaker. There is a higher chance some fans will feel spurned as opposed to the first situation. However, in this scenario, Nintendo has the advantage of blurring the home console and handheld console market, and grabbing consumers that already have the other 2 consoles.

In the long run it is possible for hate to go down, but even then highly unlikely.

Nintendo shouldn't bother nor care about hate from those who aren't interested in Nintendo games, as they'll keep on hating no matter what Nintendo does. It's the hate (in this case it's mostly criticism, but we'll just roll with the popular buzzword) from their fans who would actually buy their stuff they should be concerned with and trying to address. A lot of Nintendo fans have skipped out on many Nintendo games lately not because they inherently don't interest them but because they simply aren't good or don't exist. If the Switch get's a real Animal Crossing, Metroid, Mario Party, etc. and gets a good Paper Mario, Starfox, Mario Tennis, etc., you will no doubt see less hate from the potential buyers. I certainly won't be railing on them as much as I have been that's for sure!

Momentarily.

Just like the last reveal of the Switch. The switch was doom and gloom and worst idea in teh world up to that reveal based on rumors. Then it had a week of being the golden boy.

Then it was back to doom and gloom again by reading new rumors and speculation.

Rinse and repeat. This will be some hype for a week at best, then the haters will be back to explain how some tegra means that you can't enjoy a game. That somehow the Switch is a piece of junk and clearly the games will look horrible.

bdbdbd said:
GoOnKid said:

Not sure if you're serious or joking.

Serious of course. I wasn't counting in Virtual Console, if that's what you mean. It's definately fan service, but it would be nice to have games with tight arcade gameplay and fresh content - both of what Nintendo is the most famous for.

There's pretty much nothing for a Nintendo fan - Look up the top ten best selling games on Wii U here on this site and there you have it. Your typical Nintendo games that fit the typical Nintendo fan.

tight arcade gameplay - What about Splatoon, MK8, Smash, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, DKCTF, YWW, SM3DW, Starfox 0, Pokken Tournament, Hyrule Warriors? And hell yes, even Devil's Third. All of those have awesome gameplay (some of those may be HARD, but still very good).