By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Nintendo hatedom go down after the Switch reveal?

(For the sake of this argument, let's say that the reveal was a decent success. it didn't launch with every dream game, but the launch was solid with major hits, 3rd party support while not perfect is decent, and the year goes without any major issues. Minor issues allowed)

In this hypothetical scenario the launch goes well, people are buying the system, and it has more positivity going around it than the Wii U did. Several big issues people had are dealt with (say region locking, friend codes, and such), even if one or two remain. 

Zelda is well recieved. The winter big game is well recieved. The ports and small projects are well recived. The 3rd party games sell to a point they do more later. etc etc. 

Under these conditions, will the nintendo hate that seems to be pretty thick go down? 

Question was posed after I put in Nintendo Fan on Youtube and got a surprising amount of hate, especially from 2-3 years ago that I think comes from about 2014 given how youtube dates things and the early status of 2017 as of now.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

No. The people that are unhappy with Nintendo are gamers who want Nintendo to do another vanilla 8th gen console. 8GB of ram, 1.5+ TF, etc. and Switch won't be that device. So it won't necessarily be able to run games like Red Dead 2 or ME:A, They want Nintendo to "get with the times" which I agree with to a point with their account service and voice chat, but they want Nintendo to go the full mile and make a console disguised as a PS4 Pro and that's simply not what Nintendo is interested in doing.

Haters gonna hate, simple as that. Even if Nintendo blows it out of the water on the 12th, people will still find ways to spin it negatively.

Nintendoom Soundtrack, playing since the 23rd of September 1889

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ljink96 said:
No. The people that are unhappy with Nintendo are gamers who want Nintendo to do another vanilla 8th gen console. 8GB of ram, 1.5+ TF, etc. and Switch won't be that device. So it won't necessarily be able to run games like Red Dead 2 or ME:A, They want Nintendo to "get with the times" which I agree with to a point with their account service and voice chat, but they want Nintendo to go the full mile and make a console disguised as a PS4 Pro and that's simply not what Nintendo is interested in doing.

Haters gonna hate, simple as that. Even if Nintendo blows it out of the water on the 12th, people will still find ways to spin it negatively.

Ganoncrotch said:

Nintendoom Soundtrack, playing since the 23rd of September 1889

Any chance of it at least being less intense? 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

ive supported Nintendo through their past 3 failed gimmicks. the Wii sold well but in the long run it was a flop. the 3DS is great but nobody really uses the 3D. the Wii U had some great innovations but ultimately it wasnt enough.

people dont want gimmicks anymore, and the fact is, Nintendo is sitting on a goldmine right now and refuses to dig down a few more feet. If they made a true next gen console that was actually powerful and used modern architecture it would be game over. people would be able to play all the latest Nintendo games and 3rd party games on one console. it really didnt help the Wii U that no 3rd parties supported it and Nintendo barely even made games for it.

all of their gimmicks are centered around new ways to play games. touch screens for more controls, motion controls for immersive gameplay, the gamepad for various reasons. and now the Switch. great, it can play games on the go and the big screen, but not if it doesnt have games.

Around the Network
Yerm said:
ive supported Nintendo through their past 3 failed gimmicks. the Wii sold well but in the long run it was a flop. the 3DS is great but nobody really uses the 3D. the Wii U had some great innovations but ultimately it wasnt enough.

people dont want gimmicks anymore, and the fact is, Nintendo is sitting on a goldmine right now and refuses to dig down a few more feet. If they made a true next gen console that was actually powerful and used modern architecture it would be game over. people would be able to play all the latest Nintendo games and 3rd party games on one console. it really didnt help the Wii U that no 3rd parties supported it and Nintendo barely even made games for it.

all of their gimmicks are centered around new ways to play games. touch screens for more controls, motion controls for immersive gameplay, the gamepad for various reasons. and now the Switch. great, it can play games on the go and the big screen, but not if it doesnt have games.

Wii-U launch had great 3rd party support, people just don't want to buy a Nintendo console for games like Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Batman, Tekken Tag 2 and the various other AAA third party ports which the wii-u had around launch.

As for the Wii being a flop, describe how, keeping in mind that it came from a Generation where the GC had sold in the region of 20million units and it done almost 5 times that amount, how exactly is that a flop?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Yerm said:

Wii-U launch had great 3rd party support, people just don't want to buy a Nintendo console for games like Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Batman, Tekken Tag 2 and the various other AAA third party ports which the wii-u had around launch.

As for the Wii being a flop, describe how, keeping in mind that it came from a Generation where the GC had sold in the region of 20million units and it done almost 5 times that amount, how exactly is that a flop?

I'll admit as a generally Nintendo only fan that not many third party games appeal to me, though I got a Wii U a bit later due to being traditionally only a handheld gamer. My main third party games this gen are Kingdom Hearts 3D, Bravely Default, and Rayman Legends, ignoring Indie. 

I do want to try and possibly check out third party games at launch, if only to say that I did my 'duty', though not many appeal to me. If the options are all shooters I am sadly not interested.

And I do love how people want to pretend 100 million sold is a flop. If the fact they didn't have lasting appeal made the Wii a failure, does that make Call of Duty a failure because they are good for about a year. Same with sports titles.

no.
despite the nintendo sucess or not, people would still complain because switch is not a nintendo's ps4.

RolStoppable said:
There's more hate when Nintendo is successful. The gaming media has hammered it in the heads of many gamers that Nintendo success is the worst thing that can happen to gaming.

RolStoppable said:
KrspaceT said:

(...)

I do want to try and possibly check out third party games at launch, if only to say that I did my 'duty', though not many appeal to me. If the options are all shooters I am sadly not interested.

(...)

Your duty is to support good games, not to buy games because of who made them.

I am well aware of the sterotypes of how Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo, and I am somewhat like that. I'd rather have some strength to possibly avoid that hole in later arguments

No. It never stops. It could get every third party game and be the next coming of Jesus Christ and still be doomed