By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS4 up YOY big time in 2017

What you think

Agreed, big time year 211 81.47%

Nah PS4 sell bad 34 13.13%

Scorpio gonna kill PS4 14 5.41%

Total:259
RolStoppable said:
I don't see it happening. Sequels to IPs that are already on the PS4 won't give big hardware boosts anymore. That doesn't hold true for RDR2, obviously. There's not going to be a console revision this year, because 2016 had two already. Modest price cuts on both models won't increase yearly sales, but merely soften the decline.

I don't expect a big decline though. Maybe a million, so 16.6m for the year and thus 70m LTD by the end of 2017 is possible.

This. Also because of the bad poll, I voted for the PS4 sells bad option. :)

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
leo-j said:
So the thing had it's biggest exclusive franchise launch .... (Which sold 8.7 million copies to date so far). The most hyped FF game in history( which sold 5 million copies to date so far), the last fucking guardian, the biggest battlefield game since BF 4..... A slim version, with a bulked up pro version, prices as low as $225 in some places..... And the thing still barely sold 100k more over last year....

You expect an increase this year? With Nintendo launching a new console, and Microsoft taking the lead in hardware specs this gen? I'm very doubtful, unless Sony drop the slim to $199 and have the pro at $299 when the Scorpio launches at 399 or 449.....

lol yeah

barneystinson69 said:
RolStoppable said:
I don't see it happening. Sequels to IPs that are already on the PS4 won't give big hardware boosts anymore. That doesn't hold true for RDR2, obviously. There's not going to be a console revision this year, because 2016 had two already. Modest price cuts on both models won't increase yearly sales, but merely soften the decline.

I don't expect a big decline though. Maybe a million, so 16.6m for the year and thus 70m LTD by the end of 2017 is possible.

This. Also because of the bad poll, I voted for the PS4 sells bad option. :)

lol your contribution to this thread is talking about my poll

I think there are a few games that will help drive sales either individually or as a group:

1) Horizon
2) GTS
3) Destiny
4) Shenmue 3
5) Crash Remake
6) FF VII Remake (if it releases on time)
7) Star Wars BF2 (the movie hype will help)

A price drop to go along with this will help will massively.

If they get RDR2 marketing, that will be a bonus.

Fei-Hung said:
I think there are a few games that will help drive sales either individually or as a group:

1) Horizon
2) GTS
3) Destiny
4) Shenmue 3
5) Crash Remake
6) FF VII Remake (if it releases on time)
7) Star Wars BF2 (the movie hype will help)

A price drop to go along with this will help will massively.

If they get RDR2 marketing, that will be a bonus.

Shenmue 3 definitely wont push sales. It shouldnt be in that list with the like of star wars, crash, horizon.

Around the Network

Yeah I think it'll be up. Better software. Full year of pro and slim on sale. $50 holiday price drop for both pro and slim. Psvr full year on sale. Hopefully meet demand. And possible psvr price cut.

RolStoppable said:
Kerotan said:
Yeah I think it'll be up. Better software. Full year of pro and slim on sale. $50 holiday price drop for both pro and slim. Psvr full year on sale. Hopefully meet demand. And possible psvr price cut.

I don't think a full year of Pro and Slim will help much. In 2016 the PS4 was up 100k year-over-year and 500k of those 100k came in the holiday season with all the great deals. Yes, 500k of 100k. It took dumping prices to push the PS4 over the edge, so all the extra months at regular SKU prices will probably not contribute to a year-over-year increase in 2017.

Dumping prices.  lmao.  

Sony engineered the ps4 beautifully.  The slim had no 4k blu ray which enabled them to go so low.  Genius.  

Baseline at the start of this year will be higher because of the slim and pro being out.  

I really doubt is up yoy, I actually think the console has already peaked but we'll see.

Almost everything you listed was multiplat. How is this supposed to sell more PS4s?

bunchanumbers said:
Almost everything you listed was multiplat. How is this supposed to sell more PS4s?

Multiplats still benefit the market leader the most. 

Lets say I'm buying a PS4 next year, but 3/4 of my friends have a PS4. Take a wild guess which console I would want to buy to play multiplats on if I like to play online with my friends. 

Online communities is a huge reason why having a good start in a console generation is now even more vital than it used to be.