By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS4 up YOY big time in 2017

What you think

Agreed, big time year 211 81.47%

Nah PS4 sell bad 34 13.13%

Scorpio gonna kill PS4 14 5.41%

Total:259

Please remember that relation between 3DS and Vita or PS2 and XBOX .

Around the Network

I believe 2017 will be the peak year of Ps4. After that ot will start to decline.

lol you all sleeping on PS4s biggest hardware mover to come.

GT. 1st of the gen, Europe and other will go gaga for Gt puffs.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Please remember that relation between 3DS and Vita or PS2 and XBOX .

The X1 not only does have less exclusives. It's also a less powerfull system than its competitor. Yet in marketshare terms it's stll in a lot better position compared to those consoles you mentioned. So it's clearly not a comparable situation.

leo-j said:
So the thing had it's biggest exclusive franchise launch .... (Which sold 8.7 million copies to date so far). The most hyped FF game in history( which sold 5 million copies to date so far), the last fucking guardian, the biggest battlefield game since BF 4..... A slim version, with a bulked up pro version, prices as low as $225 in some places..... And the thing still barely sold 100k more over last year....

You expect an increase this year? With Nintendo launching a new console, and Microsoft taking the lead in hardware specs this gen? I'm very doubtful, unless Sony drop the slim to $199 and have the pro at $299 when the Scorpio launches at 399 or 449.....

lol no.

both Gt and TLOU will spank U4s sales.  Hell if they bundle it as much, Gow can near its numbers.  

Around the Network
betacon said:
Miyamotoo said:

Hardly will be YoY in 2017 with Scorpio and Switch coming in same year.

Why would they take away sales from the ps4?

Because this year PS4 will have stronger competition than previous year, obviously.

Miyamotoo said:

Switch is already confirmed to miss Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect and most 3rd party games. I think it will sell well, but it won't affect PS4 because both are destined to different markets. Switch is for casuals, kids and handheld owners. Actually, Nintendo has to nail a lot of stuff, like big games, pricing, marketing, to get this thing to sell. If it launches for more than 200 bucks, it is doomed until they cut the price. Nintendo isn't trying to compete with Sony and MS. If they did, this would be at least as powerful as base X1. It isn't, by far. They are trying to recapture a part of the Wii's market, the one they lost to smartphones. They have smartphone games to improve their brand among mobile users, Switch is also basically a tablet. They clearly are after casuals again and fighting mobile phones. This is the best strategy. The only situations where Nintendo sold a lot of hardware in the last 20 years were either handhelds or casuals. They will just combine it now. If they release it for less than 200, preferably 175, it can be a big hit. At least the first price point is possible.

The AAA market is a fight between Sony and MS and one that's over for quite some time. I don't see Scorpio doing that good. Sony didn't released PS4 Pro numbers, so I guess they are not stellar. It's clear that gamers are more interested in a cheaper version of the base console than on a beefed-up 4K machine. Very few have 4K TVs yet. Both Pro and Scorpio may become the top selling SKU closer to the end of the gen, with more 4K TVs and after price cuts. Their biggest effect will be to increase the longevity. In 2017, their effect will be close to zero.

Miyamotoo said:
betacon said:

Because this year PS4 will have stronger competition than previous year, obviously.

Switch isn't aiming for the same audience as the ps4 and the scorpio will only be a fraction of xbox sales, add in the ps4 line up this year the gap will be bigger than ever.

Miyamotoo said:
betacon said:

Oh.... Oh No. I hope you're not referring to Switch with that statement.

Switch isn't going to take anyone away from PS4/XBO, Scorpio is going to be stronger competition, but again that's not launching till the holiday and I don't think it's going to have a massive negative impact on PlayStation sales either.

torok said:
Miyamotoo said:

It's clear that gamers are more interested in a cheaper version of the base console than on a beefed-up 4K machine. Very few have 4K TVs yet. Both Pro and Scorpio may become the top selling SKU closer to the end of the gen, with more 4K TVs and after price cuts. Their biggest effect will be to increase the longevity. In 2017, their effect will be close to zero.

Amen.

As mush as the pro and scorpio intrests me and id love a 4k tv, i spent $2k on a 65 inch 2 years ago.  So unless i can get a 60" 4k oled for 999.99 my ass is not upgrading.