By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is censorship a reason to not buy games?

Does censorship stop you from buying games?

Yes 49 52.69%

No 44 47.31%

Total:93
Neodegenerate said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Thank you.

Neodegenerate. Report me for what? I attacked your post not you so what are you reporting? because you don't like it? Ok then whatever. Again there is a difference.

If you are gonna say I am "petty and spoiled" (attacks on me, not my post) because of how I choose to spend my money then yes I am going to report you for it.  You don't want to be reported?  Don't go casting aspersions on people.

Actually I didn't say you are. I said you sound petty and spoiled by your posts. You keep failing to see a difference between two things. Starting to think you only see what you want to see instead of what is actually there.

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
Neodegenerate said:

If you are gonna say I am "petty and spoiled" (attacks on me, not my post) because of how I choose to spend my money then yes I am going to report you for it.  You don't want to be reported?  Don't go casting aspersions on people.

Actually I didn't say you are. I said you sound petty and spoiled by your posts. You keep failing to see a difference between two things. Starting to think you only see what you want to see instead of what is actually there.

Saying that I "seem" petty and spoiled based on what I say is like saying I "seem" ugly based on what you see in a picture.  You want to try to hide your personal attacks behind a "but I was deconstructing the post not the person" wall then at least build it a little better than calling the post dumb and then saying I "seem" petty and spoiled.

You wanna debate censorship I will do that all day.  Notice that I haven't once said your posts seem dumb, or baffling, or incoherent, or ugly; and yet I am able to move a conversation forward.  Where you have had us discussing your intention behind petty and spoiled for a few responses now.

Neodegenerate said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Saying that I "seem" petty and spoiled based on what I say is like saying I "seem" ugly based on what you see in a picture.  You want to try to hide your personal attacks behind a "but I was deconstructing the post not the person" wall then at least build it a little better than calling the post dumb and then saying I "seem" petty and spoiled.

You wanna debate censorship I will do that all day.  Notice that I haven't once said your posts seem dumb, or baffling, or incoherent, or ugly; and yet I am able to move a conversation forward.  Where you have had us discussing your intention behind petty and spoiled for a few responses now.

Thank you for proving my point. You can't tell the difference between 2 things and see what you want to see. I never said Seem and Seem is different from sounding but you know what I have better things to do with my time than derail a thread. So forgive me OP for the sidetrack of the topic. I will address this no further.

SegataSanshiro said:
Neodegenerate said:

Thank you for proving my point. You can't tell the difference between 2 things and see what you want to see. I never said Seem and Seem is different from sounding but you know what I have better things to do with my time than derail a thread. So forgive me OP for the sidetrack of the topic. I will address this no further.

Oh I am sorry "sound" petty and spoiled.  Same difference dude.  Wrap in in whatever bow you want.

If parts of a game I care about is removed, then yes

If it's something minor and less significant, then censorship won't have much of an impact

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Nope, I dislike certain localization practices but I have never seen a game that had a core gameplay mechanic be removed for "censorship" to render it unplayable. Also using the term censorship to refer to video game localization is one of those "first world problems".

SegataSanshiro said:
Most the time it's not censorship,it's localization. People scream a fit these days. When I was growing up this happened all the time without us knowing and we still loved our games. Also the people typically complaining never planned to buy it. Just trolls.

This. Sometimes I dont like the changes and I'll bitch, but in the end, if I really want the game I'll buy it -regardless of my previous bitching about the changes

Thanks for the responses yal! From them I've gathered that it all depends on the extent of the censorship, so it would not be fair to list it as a reason in the case of TMS as the censorship there is too irrelevant to dissuade many potential buyers. That's fine, still plenty of other reasons for it's failure that keep it from being grouped with the likes of Color Splash and Starfox Zero.

There's a difference between a bad localization and censorship to me. Censorship will give me that extra push not to buy a game I'm on the fence on but a bad localization can just completely sour me on a game that I'm looking forward to. It's why, as a Nintendo fan, I dread whenever I hear that NOA and the Nintendo Treehouse are working on a localiztion project that's story/text/voice acting heavy and isn't something like Paper Mario.

For some people, it can sure be. Whether it's a reasonable reason is another question, but to them it must feel like one if they don't buy a game because of it.

To me? Depends, I suppose. I haven't had to make the decision even once yet, so it's hard to tell. In most cases I'd probably whine about it, but I don't think there's a lot of cases where it'd actually make me not buy the game.

EDIT: And just for the record, I don't consider localization censorship, but I do kind of despise a lot of things that are considered localization that are also considered censorship by some. Unless the thing flies way, way over my head without extensive localization, I don't want it to be too thoroughly localized. Heck, I don't even want a single game to be voice-acted in my language, and I don't actually even want a single game to force my to use subtitles in my own language. In a lot of cases, I don't even want games to be voice-acted in English unless that's the original language. I want the experience to be as close to the original experience as reasonably possible.