By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is censorship a reason to not buy games?

Does censorship stop you from buying games?

Yes 49 52.69%

No 44 47.31%

Total:93
SegataSanshiro said:
Most the time it's not censorship,it's localization. People scream a fit these days. When I was growing up this happened all the time without us knowing and we still loved our games. Also the people typically complaining never planned to buy it. Just trolls.

So what you are saying is a country like China doesn't censor anything they just localize it?

If something is changed because there is fear that there will be backlash, it is censorship.

I don't buy games that are censored in ways that I find ridiculous.  For example, Bravely Second.  I will play it by renting via Gamefly, but the game company isn't getting my money.  Best way to send my message and still play the games I want.

Around the Network

Pretty divided results in the poll so far, but most responses are saying it's probably not a significant reason. I guess Nintendo probably doesn't think it's a big deal since they keep doing it.

KLXVER said:
If they remove parts of the game, then I can understand people not buying a game. Like in South Park: The Stick Of Truth.

Oh so Nintendo isn't the only one doing this, guess I coulda put this in gaming discussion then.

greencactaur said:

Is it a reason to not buy a game? Up to the person. Their money, they can decide what to do with it. Overall however does it effect sales? very marginally I would imagine. Tokyo mirage's problem wasn't really the game itself, but rather the platform it was on. Those games usually only sell well on Playstation or PC. Wii U doesn't really have an otaku audience. 

lol whut, you don't need to be an otaku to enjoy TMS.

Well 250k is not all that terrible for Atlus standars tbh

It did pretty decent on NA for such a niche game with limited released.

I dont think censorship affected it so much.

Neodegenerate said:
SegataSanshiro said:
Most the time it's not censorship,it's localization. People scream a fit these days. When I was growing up this happened all the time without us knowing and we still loved our games. Also the people typically complaining never planned to buy it. Just trolls.

So what you are saying is a country like China doesn't censor anything they just localize it?

If something is changed because there is fear that there will be backlash, it is censorship.

I don't buy games that are censored in ways that I find ridiculous.  For example, Bravely Second.  I will play it by renting via Gamefly, but the game company isn't getting my money.  Best way to send my message and still play the games I want.

This is one dumb post. You don't know the difference and it's baffling.  Your China example is beyond stupid and not even comparable to video games. No Japan and USA have different mindset in many cultural things. What might accepted ine one place may not be accepted in another. Could also affect ratings in one region or another that another would not be affected. Sony changed in Grandia alcohol to coffee this would have affected the ESRB. Localization is not always in games either,it can be hardware changes. In Japan O & X are reversed. When we play a PS controller we use X to confirm something and O to back out. Japan X means No or Cross. So O is confirm and X is back or no. There are something people in the US would not get or not like that are changed. Censorship is removing the buttslap in SFV but it doesn't affect the gameplay so unless you are a horny 13 year old. Why care? Real censorship is what Fox Kids did to One Piece. It adds nothing. Bravely games suck anyway. You sound petty and spoiled. Get over it.

Moderated - Starcraft

People tried to convince me to not buy Criminal Girls 1 and 2. It was too censored they said. Too much has been removed they said. But I stuck to my principals, and bought those 2 games with the hyper-sexualized teens/pre-teen. Would I like to hears their moans as I slap their asses in hell? Yes. But I still have something. I'm still slapping their asses in hell.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
Neodegenerate said:

This is one dumb post. You don't know the difference and it's baffling.  Your China example is beyond stupid and not even comparable to video games. No Japan and USA have different mindset in many cultural things. What might accepted ine one place may not be accepted in another. Could also affect ratings in one region or another that another would not be affected. Sony changed in Grandia alcohol to coffee this would have affected the ESRB. Localization is not always in games either,it can be hardware changes. In Japan O & X are reversed. When we play a PS controller we use X to confirm something and O to back out. Japan X means No or Cross. So O is confirm and X is back or no. There are something people in the US would not get or not like that are changed. Censorship is removing the buttslap in SFV but it doesn't affect the gameplay so unless you are a horny 13 year old. Why care? Real censorship is what Fox Kids did to One Piece. It adds nothing. Bravely games suck anyway. You sound petty and spoiled. Get over it.

I do understand the difference and was using the whole "it isnt censorship" argument that you created to the extreme on the other end.  Before I report your post though, let me explain exactly what I mean in a way that you might understand.

This is an example of Localization: Changing Post Office in a jRPG to Bank.  Why?  Because in Japan they do banking business in Post Offices.  In America they do not.  Therefore, to say someone robbed a Post Office in America doesn't make sense.  Change Post to Bank to localize.

This is an example of Censorship: Changing a shirt that shows cleavage to one that doesn't.  There is no reason to do this other than to censor the image.

See the difference? 

If the changes are significant, it can sway me not to buy it. Often times the "localization" of games makes them less palatable. People understand that many games are made in different cultures. When you warp a product to try to make it "click" for another culture, often the result is something that makes little sense for anyone. Nintendo's localization leaves me scratching my head more often than it clarises something, and when you're just covering skin, that's no localization, that's censorship.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

RolStoppable said:

Off topic:

Fixed! Whether or not you believe Fates' split release was shady has nothing to do with buying censored games.

Neodegenerate said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I do understand the difference and was using the whole "it isnt censorship" argument that you created to the extreme on the other end.  Before I report your post though, let me explain exactly what I mean in a way that you might understand.

This is an example of Localization: Changing Post Office in a jRPG to Bank.  Why?  Because in Japan they do banking business in Post Offices.  In America they do not.  Therefore, to say someone robbed a Post Office in America doesn't make sense.  Change Post to Bank to localize.

This is an example of Censorship: Changing a shirt that shows cleavage to one that doesn't.  There is no reason to do this other than to censor the image.

See the difference? 

Changing a shirt is still localization if they're changing a shirt from a minor. Like Lin in Xenoblade X. That wasn't censorship, that was localization. It's a very controversial thing to have a 13 year old girl in those outfits. If it was a rated M game and she was 18, yet they decided to change it, then it would have been censorship. Localization seen chanhes to fit the culture. It doesn't matter that they're Japanese games so they shouldn't be "butchered". Changing an outfit can be localization or censorship. Depends on the situation. Be lucky we get Japanese RPG's in general. And all in all, if you are upset about boobs getting covered, you really need a different hobby. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Darwinianevolution said:
Depending on what they decide to censore, and why. If they are censoring something trivial and does not affect either the gameplay or the enjoyment of the story, there's no reason not to buy it (how many japanese games have the ages of female characters older due to value dissonance?). If they censore it because they can't sell it on a country otherwise, you import it if you can. If they are censoring something major that is going to affect the enjoyment of the game or the story, then not buying it is a bigger possibility.

This! 

At the end of the day their the ones who are going to miss out. 

Pocky Lover Boy!