Forums - General Discussion - Is lack of gender/racial diversity valid criticism?

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yeah I see the pattern of how even the worst scenarios don't even represent a 0.5% of their respective population, but no problem with getting the other 99.5%-99.9% out. Just in case.

And you failed to notice that people from a certain religious background are 5 to 12 times more likely to commit rape or sexually assaults than a German local? Simple maths tells us that if refugee intake from that particular religion continues , sexually assaults and rapes will rise disproportionately too. But hey, who needs facts?

My numbers are facts too, you are constantly offended because feminists thinks all problem of the world are caused by white straight men even when only a fraction of them can be really blamed but you have no problem to blame muslims for the problems of the west and you would have no problem to reject them even when more than 99% are not to blame. People like that are way more similar to radical feminists than what they want to believe.



Around the Network
Slarvax said:
Lawlight said:

Were their Asians, Hispanics, Indians, etc?

Maybe a few asians. I remember it as a 90% white cast.

So you didn't ask yourself where the Hispanics actors are?



Depending on when and where it takes place, it could.



“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Depends on the game. The game audience is fairly diverse, I'd venture to guess at least 40-45% of the game audience is what would be considered a "minority".

Just by going off US demographics and the fact that gamers tend to be the younger side of the demographic .... for example soon over 50% of under 18ers in the US will be either non-white or mixed race.

So I mean developers if they're making a new IP or new characters, it's something to think about. "White guy" doesn't have to be the default every single time. It doesn't have to be a huge agenda, maybe once in a while the main character of a COD or Battelfield or something could be a Latino or Black or even Asian guy or girl. 



Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

And you failed to notice that people from a certain religious background are 5 to 12 times more likely to commit rape or sexually assaults than a German local? Simple maths tells us that if refugee intake from that particular religion continues , sexually assaults and rapes will rise disproportionately too. But hey, who needs facts?

My numbers are facts too, you are constantly offended because feminist think all probelm of the world are caused by white straight men even when only a fraction of them can be really blamed but you have no problem to blame muslims for the problems of the west and you would have no problem to reject them even when more than 99% are not to blame. Nothing more than taste your own medicine.

The difference is that I'm dealing with facts here - hard numbers that show that they are way more likely to commit the crime. Feminists who blame straight white males are just deranged and have no basis to base their claims on.

And I'm talking about a religion, not a single nationality. So, if you total that up, it's 2.7% of the population from those religion countries. Now remove the children and, maybe women, from those numbers and that percentage increases a lot more. 5% of a group for a crime such as rape is massive in a year is massive. Span that over 5-10 years...



Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
The problem with movies is that when they add a coloured person in most cases it feels out of place because they try to change something that was already written (for example in a comic book).

Just be original put coloured people in as normal characters and not bluntly obvious tokens.

There is plenty of movies out there that do this well even going back to the 70s-80s. Watching some of those i didn't FEEL like FMD a token coloured person was thrown in. They had a role that fit.

Same goes i reverse. If the movie's main objective is to focus on a certain race or whatever as part of the story. i honestly couldn't care less if there was 0 white people in them. Just give us a good movie lol.

I see the bolded stated a lot, specifically with comic book movies, and it always bugs the hell out of me.  Most all of the famous comic book characters were created prior to 1968, when diversity actually was a huge issue.  You take those same character concepts today and create them and you are going to have a more diverse group simply based on how the world is now.

As far as the topic question goes: I feel as though diversity in a story, regardless of what medium it is told in, is up to the creator.  If they want it filled with half black half hispanic transgender gay people because it fits their vision, great.  If they want it filled with white supremacists or black panther party members because thats what the narrative and tone calls for, go for it.  The idea that people consuming art and entertainment feel entitled to tell people how it should be created is quite pathetic and goes against the very idea of art in my opinion.



It depends.

On one hand having all characters in a medium having one set of characteristics is limiting. On the other forcing a quota along any lines is not the way to go. It has to feel natural, some roles or characters are defined by certain characteristics, while others are more open to interpretation.

Of course, we all have the option to not endorse or support anything for what ever reason. Ultimately games or movies go where the market dictates. I appreciate experimentation, but I get why companies see patterns it reinforces what they produce.

I am really excited about Horizon, and I do like the main character's design. So, I'll buy it, and I won't condemn people who don't. I wouldn't understand anyone who said, "I won't play a game where you play as a woman", but it is their right.



Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

My numbers are facts too, you are constantly offended because feminist think all probelm of the world are caused by white straight men even when only a fraction of them can be really blamed but you have no problem to blame muslims for the problems of the west and you would have no problem to reject them even when more than 99% are not to blame. Nothing more than taste your own medicine.

The difference is that I'm dealing with facts here - hard numbers that show that they are way more likely to commit the crime. Feminists who blame straight white males are just deranged and have no basis to base their claims on.

And I'm talking about a religion, not a single nationality. So, if you total that up, it's 2.7% of the population from those religion countries. Now remove the children and, maybe women, from those numbers and that percentage increases a lot more. 5% of a group for a crime such as rape is massive in a year is massive. Span that over 5-10 years...

Feminists have pretty impressive data about number of rapes, sexual assaults and the already classic "huseband kills wife", when you look into them you even understand why some of them have become radical, yet still does not justify the white straight male hate/paranoia many of them have, and most white straight men don't deserve to be treated as criminals since most of them are decent. But muslims? yeah, fuck muslims, they are all the same.



Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

My numbers are facts too, you are constantly offended because feminist think all probelm of the world are caused by white straight men even when only a fraction of them can be really blamed but you have no problem to blame muslims for the problems of the west and you would have no problem to reject them even when more than 99% are not to blame. Nothing more than taste your own medicine.

The difference is that I'm dealing with facts here - hard numbers that show that they are way more likely to commit the crime. Feminists who blame straight white males are just deranged and have no basis to base their claims on.

And I'm talking about a religion, not a single nationality. So, if you total that up, it's 2.7% of the population from those religion countries. Now remove the children and, maybe women, from those numbers and that percentage increases a lot more. 5% of a group for a crime such as rape is massive in a year is massive. Span that over 5-10 years...

In Europe, 30% of women claim to be raped at some point in their life though ... that means there's a whole lotta white men doing the raping there too. 



Soundwave said:

Depends on the game. The game audience is fairly diverse, I'd venture to guess at least 40-45% of the game audience is what would be considered a "minority".

Just by going off US demographics and the fact that gamers tend to be the younger side of the demographic .... for example soon over 50% of under 18ers in the US will be either non-white or mixed race.

So I mean developers if they're making a new IP or new characters, it's something to think about. "White guy" doesn't have to be the default every single time. It doesn't have to be a huge agenda, maybe once in a while the main character of a COD or Battelfield or something could be a Latino or Black or even Asian guy or girl. 

You mean like in Battlefield 1, Battledfield 3, Hardline, Infinite Warfare or Blops 3?