By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is lack of gender/racial diversity valid criticism?

No. I hate forced diversity. Authors should make characters they enjoy. I was actually thinking the other day how both new Star Wars have this forced diverse cast while the original starred two good looking blonde white dudes and an old white dude and a good-looking white woman. Oh, and some old white dude bad guys. And it worked. Because the author simply made characters, not racial statements. In fact, I'd argue that lack of racial diversity emphasizes the uniqueness of the characters as their personality traits become the only separating factors when race isn't a crutch. I think Fresh Prince is a great example of this; if he had gone to live with a white family race would be a factor in the story, losing the true theme of poor vs rich upbringing. I have no problem with any race or gender in any story, I just hate the forced stuff. Every time a woman appears in a blockbuster lately it has the forced vibe of "see, we think women can do anything!" I get it. Gender equality.

With games, I don't care. Just make cool looking characters that are awesome to play as. Preferably every game should star Batman. Custom making your character to represent yourself or who you feel like is cool too.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

Well, is certainly better when there is diversity and always suspicious when there is none at all.

Lawlight said:

Was the backlash against Tomb Raider? Or Lucy? Or Alien? Terminator? Independence Day? All those Disney movies. It's time to stop blaming straight white malea for every problem in the world.

But no problem doing the same with refugees and muslims.

Oh shit. 

That's what you call a quality comeback

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yeah I see the pattern of how even the worst scenarios don't even represent a 0.5% of their respective population, but no problem with getting the other 99.5%-99.9% out. Just in case.

And you failed to notice that people from a certain religious background are 5 to 12 times more likely to commit rape or sexually assaults than a German local? Simple maths tells us that if refugee intake from that particular religion continues , sexually assaults and rapes will rise disproportionately too. But hey, who needs facts?

As interesting as your conversation is, please stay on topic.

I don't like it when everything turns into an argument over refugees and muslims :) becomes very tiring to see the same thing every day

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Depends. If Gender/ Racial diversity is simply being used for the sake of using it, then no. At that point, it's nothing more than a marketing ploy. The reality is that forced racial/ gender diversity literally just means "needs less white people". If it's natural, i.e. the creator wanted a character to look and be a certain way, then there's nothing, but going out of your way to make it happen is just plain stupid.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

hershel_layton said:
Lawlight said:

And you failed to notice that people from a certain religious background are 5 to 12 times more likely to commit rape or sexually assaults than a German local? Simple maths tells us that if refugee intake from that particular religion continues , sexually assaults and rapes will rise disproportionately too. But hey, who needs facts?

I don't like it when everything turns into an argument over refugees and muslims :) becomes very tiring to see the same thing every day

Fine. There's plenty of diversity in movies and games based on the definition of diversity by Hollywood or game studios, which means no straight white male. Video games in particular are going out of their way to make sure that their games don't have a white male character.

Around the Network

The anger on both sides is misguided, it should be directed at the people profiting from racisl tensions and gender arguments.

Not at all. I'm non-white myself and I don't personally feel bad if a game or movie isn't diverse or if my ethnic background isn't reflected in it. Criticism should be on the quality of the work, not on whether an imaginary quota is filled or not.

Lawlight said:
hershel_layton said:

Fine. There's plenty of diversity in movies and games based on the definition of diversity by Hollywood or game studios, which means no straight white male. Video games in particular are going out of their way to make sure that their games don't have a white male character.

How many games (featuring humanoids anyway) don't have a white male character?

Lawlight said:
hershel_layton said:

Really? I think we have quite a decent amount of white males.

Uncharted, call of duty, mario, splatoon, final fantasy, kingdom Hearts, the last of us, God of war, etc all have white male characters.

Not complaining about how many white male characters we have, but we do have a healthy amount 

hershel_layton said:
Lawlight said:

Really? I think we have quite a decent amount of white males.

Uncharted, call of duty, mario, splatoon, final fantasy, kingdom Hearts, the last of us, God of war, etc all have white male characters.

Not complaining about how many white male characters we have, but we do have a healthy amount 

If by healthy amount you mean 90-95% of human characters in games are white, sure. 

Not that I even personally have that big of a problem with it, but seeing as how the buying base of games is pretty diverse, I think it wouldn't kill devs to reflect their own buying base, which sure as hell isn't 90-95% white males. Some games are doing it, it's fine.