Forums - General Discussion - Is lack of gender/racial diversity valid criticism?

I don't really care. The author makes the story and not sjw.

I'm definitely not the one who says, that in the lord of the rings movies are no black actors.



Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB VRAM / 3090 (Placeholder)| Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.

Around the Network

I think people have too much free time to complain about stuff like gender/race in the GAMING market of all places and not enough drive to actually complain about what matters in the actual industry.


Content (what makes up a game in terms of modes, features, settings, OST)
Design (the art style, visual style, level design, theme, setting)
Gameplay (mechanics, AI, animations, gameplay systems)
Distribution of Content (online MP, DLC, season passes, etc)

These are aspects which need to be looked at by Journalism and I honestly think are often times overshadowed due to people looking at issues such as Gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, etc due to a coming of age, phase or whatever you want to call it.

 

Imo, story and character design should be kept with the developer/creator's point of view since it is their idea after all. Stuff like censorship or forced obligation to please a certain group is what ruins this.

 

 

 

 

Edit: I also consider movies, TV shows, cartoons/anime to fall in the same category as Video games when it comes to creativity.



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Well, is certainly better when there is diversity and always suspicious when there is none at all.

But no problem doing the same with refugees and muslims.

Have straight white males been going to other countries and committing terrorist attacks?

1) This is WAYYYYYY off topic. However, what do you call the Iraq war? Weapons of mass destruction? Lies. Revenge for 9/11 attacks? Lies (15 of 19 hijackers were Saudi). Killing innocent people and not even admitting it (claiming there were no, "official statistics" when the civilian death toll is over 100,000). Sounds like terrorism to me.



01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

No but many of them have raped or sexually offended someone so I guess we should get them all out of the country. Just in case.

Just some stats from Germany for you:

https://scontent.fbed1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12747322_1289604114399297_6989721281318026704_o.png?oh=9a6324dd8508afef039c495beb76ad79&oe=58F1331D

Can you see a pattern in there?

Yeah I see the pattern of how even the worst scenarios represent less thaa 0.5% of their respective population, but no problem with getting the other 99.5%-99.9% out. Just in case.



Azuren said:
I just don't like having characters' ethnicities changed for modern adaptions. For example, Johnny Storm in the most recent Fantastic Four train wreck. Why is he black and his sister is white?

Then there's basic Hollywood whitewashing and (more recently) Japanese yellowwashing. Yes, I'm call Japan out of that shit: all of the characters in both Fullmetal Alchemist and Attack on Titan are German/European... So why the fuck are they all played by Japanese people now?

 

That's a good point about japan live-action adaptions. I always asume that the characters are european. I mean, some look like that and Attack on Titan uses germany as an inspiration. The live action adaption of Attack on Titan looked really awful. Just the same issue with Sailor Moon.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB VRAM / 3090 (Placeholder)| Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.

Around the Network
Peh said:
Azuren said:
I just don't like having characters' ethnicities changed for modern adaptions. For example, Johnny Storm in the most recent Fantastic Four train wreck. Why is he black and his sister is white?

Then there's basic Hollywood whitewashing and (more recently) Japanese yellowwashing. Yes, I'm call Japan out of that shit: all of the characters in both Fullmetal Alchemist and Attack on Titan are German/European... So why the fuck are they all played by Japanese people now?

 

That's a good point about japan live-action adaptions. I always asume that the characters are european. I mean, some look like that and Attack on Titan uses germany as an inspiration. The live action adaption of Attack on Titan looked really awful. Just the same issue with Sailor Moon.

I kinda feel that way in general, considering just how much anime characters feature traditionally european features like light colored hair, blue/green eyes, white skin, etc.



I think that more diversity would definitely be good. I don't blame the companies for past mistakes, as white males used to be almost required to sell your product. I also think that a woman or POC shouldn't just be forced in to meet a certain criteria.



I make videos that are sometimes funny I think?

Check out my Youtube gaming channel here!

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

Just some stats from Germany for you:

https://scontent.fbed1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12747322_1289604114399297_6989721281318026704_o.png?oh=9a6324dd8508afef039c495beb76ad79&oe=58F1331D

Can you see a pattern in there?

Yeah I see the pattern of how even the worst scenarios don't even represent a 0.5% of their respective population, but no problem with getting the other 99.5%-99.9% out. Just in case.

And you failed to notice that people from a certain religious background are 5 to 12 times more likely to commit rape or sexually assaults than a German local? Simple maths tells us that if refugee intake from that particular religion continues , sexually assaults and rapes will rise disproportionately too. But hey, who needs facts?



Imagine an extreme situation where whatever ethnic group or gender you belonged to had zero representation in media be it games, movies, TV or books. I think there's a point where most people would have an issue with it.

Of course we don't live in a world that's quite that extreme but it's good to have these kinds of conversations and permanently reevaluate what the appropriate amount of representation in our culture is and different people will have different opinions on that.

Of course films shouldn't need to cram in members of every minority and make them all interesting characters but go back 40 year and the only representation of gay men would have ever found in movies would be either very negative or over the top comical: lesbians really didn't exist in any movies... Not that they do much now (I know someone with point out the many lesbian porn movies).

Anyway, I see a lot of shade of grey on this nuanced issue. and the precise details of my personal opinion might change depending on the day, but what I truly don't like is the shrill attempts to shut down the discussion that you often find on the internet.



Lawlight said:
Slarvax said:

If that's the only criticism people find, then it should tell you a lot about the movie/game/show.

I think it's understandable. I was watching a christmas movie on my flight yesterday, and at one point I went "Hold on, there hasn't been a single black guy in this movie!"

That's not even a criticism. Just a complaint, that honestly won't get you or the producers anywhere.

Were their Asians, Hispanics, Indians, etc?

Maybe a few asians. I remember it as a 90% white cast.



Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988