Forums - General Discussion - Is lack of gender/racial diversity valid criticism?

RolStoppable said:
I have never seen anybody complain about the all-black casts in sitcoms like The Bill Cosby Show or The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Lack of diversity is not valid criticism. It's not crying over spilled milk. It's making a fuss about nothing.

If diversity was truly in demand, then more diversity would result in more sales and success. However, movies and video games that champion diversity usually fall flat. And if they succeed, it's not because of diversity, but because they somehow got other things right.

Man 90s TV really annoyed me, I always used to watch Sister Sister and wish that one of the two main characters could have been male so I could have understood the show better. Perhaps both of them could be White Males, would have made it a lot easier for my pre teen brain to understand.

If the TV isn't a mirror of my life, I can't relate to it, sometimes I just turn it off and look at my glum reflection in the black screen... and wait for death to take me.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Around the Network

No it is not. Gender difference is a genetically proven fact and a small minority of LGBT people has no right to discriminate the vast majority by criticizing reality. They should create their own original LGBT games and let the rest of the world enjoy games without artificial gender/racial diversity.

Jazz2K said:
Lawlight said:

Was the backlash against Tomb Raider? Or Lucy? Or Alien? Terminator? Independence Day? All those Disney movies. It's time to stop blaming straight white malea for every problem in the world.

Blaming straight white males isn't my intention.  No good discussion would come out of this. I made an observation though. I worked for a long time selling and renting movies when I was younger and yes there always seems to be a lot of overlooking movies that don't have a white male as the lead. The thing to understand imo is that it doesn't mean no more white males or that all white males are guilty of racism. It means that more people are aware of this and want a better representation of people, not a representation of "specific" people. 

That's very anecdotal as I bet you that there were a lot of movies that had a straight male as the lead that was also overlooked.

I think its all BS. And I am black.

Lets see, they expect a white male writer, to write up a story that takes place in say america, but somehow make his story focused on black gay people? How is that gonna work? Why would he even think of something like that?

If black(you can insert any other race or gender subset instead of black) people wanna see a game based on black people then they should go produce a game. Its like getting a JRPG and expect all the characters in it to look like usain bolt.

Some say its ignorant to take the kinda stance I am taking, I say its ignorant not to understand that you are asking people to do something that is alien to them just to accommodate race and gender.

It CAN be, but most of the time it's not.

Around the Network

For the most part, no, portray and put whoever you want in your productions.

Goodnightmoon said:

Well, is certainly better when there is diversity and always suspicious when there is none at all.

Lawlight said:

Was the backlash against Tomb Raider? Or Lucy? Or Alien? Terminator? Independence Day? All those Disney movies. It's time to stop blaming straight white malea for every problem in the world.

But no problem doing the same with refugees and muslims.

Have straight white males been going to other countries and committing terrorist attacks?

Lawlight said:
Jazz2K said:

Blaming straight white males isn't my intention.  No good discussion would come out of this. I made an observation though. I worked for a long time selling and renting movies when I was younger and yes there always seems to be a lot of overlooking movies that don't have a white male as the lead. The thing to understand imo is that it doesn't mean no more white males or that all white males are guilty of racism. It means that more people are aware of this and want a better representation of people, not a representation of "specific" people. 

That's very anecdotal as I bet you that there were a lot of movies that had a straight male as the lead that was also overlooked.

That's very true and yes that's as anecdotal as it gets. But hey, always the same people saying there is a problem just like always the same people saying there isn't.

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

But no problem doing the same with refugees and muslims.

Have straight white males been going to other countries and committing terrorist attacks?

No, but many of them have raped or sexually offended someone so I guess we should get them all out of the country. Just in case.

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

No but many of them have raped or sexually offended someone so I guess we should get them all out of the country. Just in case.

Just some stats from Germany for you:

https://scontent.fbed1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12747322_1289604114399297_6989721281318026704_o.png?oh=9a6324dd8508afef039c495beb76ad79&oe=58F1331D

Can you see a pattern in there?