By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer criticizes buying exclusive content/DLC

This guy is saying different things from both sides of his mouth :-/

HE is honestly only saying this because the last time they did this on a serious piece of software (RotTR) it blew up in their face.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
aLkaLiNE said:

http://gamingbolt.com/dev-explains-why-the-turing-test-is-a-timed-xbox-one-console-exclusive-microsoft-really-loves-the-game

Then who who made this deal? They even state the game was initially developed for only Steam. The game came out this August. Has been in development for a little over a year. Well after Spencer was promoted.

And also, from the perspective of SE, why on earth would you launch one of the biggest PlayStation franchises (Tomb Raider) on a competing console with timed exclusivity when there is significant amounts of data showing how handily these games sell better on PlayStation? And what kind of support did Microsoft give them? Sure as hell wasn't marketing considering they never had a bundle and barely had tv promotions around that time. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thumbsticks.com/the-turing-test-release-date-confirmed-25072016/amp/?client=ms-android-att-us

The Turning Test is a ID@Xbox game so they got resources from MS to make a console version. Like you said it was planned only for PC. If it wasnt for ID@Xbox it wont even have a console release.

I dont work at Square so i cant answer those questions. According to them they should support. Maybe it was because they showed the reboot at their E3. 

Well that's completely wrong, you should at least read the article I cited because they specifically mention ~

The Turing Test is going to launch on Xbox One and PC as a timed exclusive- we decided to ask him about the reasoning behind this decision, asking him why a PS4 version was skipped. Philpott explained that Microsoft’s enthusiasm and support for the project led to the choice.

“It’s a timed exclusive on Xbox One, Microsoft really love the game and have really supported our studio get the game to their console first,” he said. “The game was developed on Steam, hence the simultaneous release on PC and Xbox One. We may look to other platforms in the future!”

No where in there do they say they weren't intending on bringing it to console. In fact, they were asked directly why PS4 was "skipped" and they said it's because Microsoft showed "enthusiasm" whatever that means.

jason1637 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

So you think that all the money goes to the publishers and the devs get nothing? I doubt it. I can imagine how well that would go down.

'SOOOO! We want you to work on DLC for your game and we're going to sell the exclusive rights. Unfortunately we've decided we are keeping all the money for ourselves, now get working.' 

Anyway most of the bigger studios publish their own game. 

Devs have no say in these decisions it all up to the publisher. Devs are paid to make a game with a set budget before these deals are made unless Sony,MS are funding the game.

Gun for hire devs maybe. But if it's your own game and you have a publisher I'm sure each deal will be unique and I'm sure share of revenue is the standard deal. I could be wrong on this though. Anybody know?

Anyway, again, most big developers publish their own games. 

jason1637 said:

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Crackdown 3 and scalebound were both announced at Microsoft's e3 2014 and they aren't coming out till 2017. Seems like the only games microsoft gives us on time are shitty sports games and terrible shooters. Cuphead was announced e3 2015, now delayed to mid 2017. Lol.

Lol i didnt know a series thats known for getting late 80s to 90s like Forza is shit or a game like Gears of War 4 that got good reviews is shit. I must have missed something.

Actually I haven't played Forza, it looks kind of cool but mostly the Horizon series.  Want to pick up 3 eventually. 

Uhm...ya....because critics are DEFINITELY IN TUNE with how gamers feel. Gears of War forumns are all positive. Game's population is all positive. game's sales are all positive. Lol. 

Lets read between the mile wide lines here and translate. " We have sold roughly half of our competetion and so the prices for exclusives, timed exclusives and exclusive content has gone up. What we need is Don Mattrick back to make the deals, because obviously as somebody who worked very closely with third parties, I had no say in any of these deals...." Does that sum it up?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
jason1637 said:

Disagree with things his company has done in the past that he had no involvement in doesn't make his statement hyproactial. It just means he doesn't support the buisness practices MS has done before he became head of Xbox.

Negative. If he engaged in it, at any point, he's being hypocritical here. No amount of excusing it will eliminate that. He may have had a change of heart (market positions can obviously effect that), but he certainly can be linked directly to a scenario he now condemns.

We still had to promote it because the deal had already been made. If he didnt he probably would have been fired of even arrested for breaking a deal that probably had lots money involved. If he didnt make the deal and became head when it was all said and done he has to still market it because its his job. 

jason1637 said:

Lol i didnt know a series thats known for getting late 80s to 90s like Forza is shit or a game like Gears of War 4 that got good reviews is shit. I must have missed something.

Actually I haven't played Forza, it looks kind of cool but mostly the Horizon series.  Want to pick up 3 eventually. 

Uhm...ya....because critics are DEFINITELY IN TUNE with how gamers feel. Gears of War forumns are all positive. Game's population is all positive. game's sales are all positive. Lol. 

Wait so you havent played forza but called it a shitty sports game lol. 

Gears 4 has a 4.5/5 on the Xbox store(only people that own the game can rate it). It was the 9th best selling digital game on consoles for the month of Nov.

CGI-Quality said:
jason1637 said:

Disagree with things his company has done in the past that he had no involvement in doesn't make his statement hyproactial. It just means he doesn't support the buisness practices MS has done before he became head of Xbox.

Negative. If he engaged in it, at any point, he's being hypocritical here. No amount of excusing it will eliminate that. He may have had a change of heart (market positions can obviously effect that), but he certainly can be linked directly to a scenario he now condemns.

It's so perfectly clear. I'm in shock this has gone on for 250 posts. The number of mental gymnastics being performed here, to protect a corporation and its millionaire manager, is really outrageous.

aLkaLiNE said:
jason1637 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thumbsticks.com/the-turing-test-release-date-confirmed-25072016/amp/?client=ms-android-att-us

The Turning Test is a ID@Xbox game so they got resources from MS to make a console version. Like you said it was planned only for PC. If it wasnt for ID@Xbox it wont even have a console release.

I dont work at Square so i cant answer those questions. According to them they should support. Maybe it was because they showed the reboot at their E3. 

Well that's completely wrong, you should at least read the article I cited because they specifically mention ~

The Turing Test is going to launch on Xbox One and PC as a timed exclusive- we decided to ask him about the reasoning behind this decision, asking him why a PS4 version was skipped. Philpott explained that Microsoft’s enthusiasm and support for the project led to the choice.

“It’s a timed exclusive on Xbox One, Microsoft really love the game and have really supported our studio get the game to their console first,” he said. “The game was developed on Steam, hence the simultaneous release on PC and Xbox One. We may look to other platforms in the future!”

No where in there do they say they weren't intending on bringing it to console. In fact, they were asked directly why PS4 was "skipped" and they said it's because Microsoft showed "enthusiasm" whatever that means.

In the article it said it was started only on steam. MS helped them out through ID@Xbox so then it was announced to come to consoles but Xbox One before PS4 because the game is.in the ID@Xbox program so MS is giving them.resources.

Sure both companies did this in the past, its been quite bad this year from sony, doesn't matter. Its a good sign one of the 2 big home console guys is saying "its not a good idea" because it sucks and microsoft should stop it now, because phil already looks a bit "really?" when you read this, but if they announce content like this next year, people are going to use it against him, as they should.

Sony should stop it immediately, because if microsoft does it they descredit themselves and the money sony would spent on this should be spent elsewhere, they don't need the marketing and COD and stuff is already associated with sony.

Spent the money on branding with esports, setting up tournaments etc, positive vibe,

Instead of people trying to defend sony or attack microsoft lets all agree the gaming space would be better for EVERYONE if nobody does this crap.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

jason1637 said:
CGI-Quality said:

We still had to promote it because the deal had already been made. If he didnt he probably would have been fired of even arrested for breaking a deal that probably had lots money involved. If he didnt make the deal and became head when it was all said and done he has to still market it because its his job. 

Wait so you havent played forza but called it a shitty sports game lol. 

Gears 4 has a 4.5/5 on the Xbox store(only people that own the game can rate it). It was the 9th best selling digital game on consoles for the month of Nov.

I was obviously commenting on the repitition dude. You don't have to take everything as a personal attack against your favorite brands and/or franchises. You get what I mean though, and it doesn't really change my argument. The only time Microsoft delivers a project on time is when it's a racing title or gears or halo. And even then, the latter 2 usually need to be delayed because of their lack of features on  launch. 

Gears of War 4 sales have been more than dissapointing. The game's physical sales were only achieved because of it being massively bundled as well as a ... get this ... THIRTY FOUR DOLLAR price reduction just close to two months after release. That is TERRIBLE. It also got that reduction digitally. Rainbow Six Siege was played more than Gears of War 4 online last week, AFTER RAINBOW SIX was renewed as a 60$ title. It was also bought more digitally in that time frame. Gears of War is under performing, and as great as it is that Microsoft is trying to make the game a success story(to be fair it isn't a flop just a bit mediocre in sales), it's still not doing amazingly.