By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer criticizes buying exclusive content/DLC

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
jason1637 said:

We still had to promote it because the deal had already been made. If he didnt he probably would have been fired of even arrested for breaking a deal that probably had lots money involved. If he didnt make the deal and became head when it was all said and done he has to still market it because its his job. 

Wait so you havent played forza but called it a shitty sports game lol. 

Gears 4 has a 4.5/5 on the Xbox store(only people that own the game can rate it). It was the 9th best selling digital game on consoles for the month of Nov.

I was obviously commenting on the repitition dude. You don't have to take everything as a personal attack against your favorite brands and/or franchises. You get what I mean though, and it doesn't really change my argument. The only time Microsoft delivers a project on time is when it's a racing title or gears or halo. And even then, the latter 2 usually need to be delayed because of their lack of features on  launch. 

Gears of War 4 sales have been more than dissapointing. The game's physical sales were only achieved because of it being massively bundled as well as a ... get this ... THIRTY FOUR DOLLAR price reduction just close to two months after release. That is TERRIBLE. It also got that reduction digitally. Rainbow Six Siege was played more than Gears of War 4 online last week, AFTER RAINBOW SIX was renewed as a 60$ title. It was also bought more digitally in that time frame. Gears of War is under performing, and as great as it is that Microsoft is trying to make the game a success story(to be fair it isn't a flop just a bit mediocre in sales), it's still not doing amazingly. 

You called it shit and then said you haven't played it. No getting out of that man. Im not even a big forza an but you were spitting out BS so i had to call you out on it.

Gears 4 hasnt the highest price xbox bundles compared to minecraft and Battlefeild so die hard gears fans without a XB1 are buying the bundle. There is nothing wrong with that. Its digital sales are doing really well. NPD says its up to 35% digital. Its underperforming compared to past games but its sales are still solid.

Around the Network
Crackdown 3 and scalebound were both announced at Microsoft's e3 2014 and they aren't coming out till 2017. Seems like the only games microsoft gives us on time are shitty sports games and terrible shooters. Cuphead was announced e3 2015, now delayed to mid 2017. Lol.

So are these threads allowed because people can let go their biased hate towards MS with no warnings?

jason1637 said:

I was obviously commenting on the repitition dude. You don't have to take everything as a personal attack against your favorite brands and/or franchises. You get what I mean though, and it doesn't really change my argument. The only time Microsoft delivers a project on time is when it's a racing title or gears or halo. And even then, the latter 2 usually need to be delayed because of their lack of features on  launch. 

Gears of War 4 sales have been more than dissapointing. The game's physical sales were only achieved because of it being massively bundled as well as a ... get this ... THIRTY FOUR DOLLAR price reduction just close to two months after release. That is TERRIBLE. It also got that reduction digitally. Rainbow Six Siege was played more than Gears of War 4 online last week, AFTER RAINBOW SIX was renewed as a 60$ title. It was also bought more digitally in that time frame. Gears of War is under performing, and as great as it is that Microsoft is trying to make the game a success story(to be fair it isn't a flop just a bit mediocre in sales), it's still not doing amazingly. 

You called it shit and then said you haven't played it. No getting out of that man. Im not even a big forza an but you were spitting out BS so i had to call you out on it.

Gears 4 hasnt the highest price xbox bundles compared to minecraft and Battlefeild so die hard gears fans without a XB1 are buying the bundle. There is nothing wrong with that. Its digital sales are doing really well. NPD says its up to 35% digital. Its underperforming compared to past games but its sales are still solid.

Ya you're right, I shouldn't have said that especially when I actually asked for the game for Christmas lol. That was a stupid thing to say especially because of the amount of critical acclaim the series has gotten. 

But my original point still stands, I agree both consoles aren't really doing great with release dates but it's hard to deny that Sony is getting better while Microsoft isn't being very competitive for the situation they're in. For a while I actually believed Microsoft was being ultra competitive with Sony because of their constent slew of third parties, but then I realized most people who want a Halo game or a Gears game either have an Xbox One, or don't approve of the series direction(both cases are the same for me). Deliviring games that aren't new experiences and largely make worse on the formula of past games isn't what I imagine Microsoft is trying to do, but they're doing it. It's unclear how much Microsofts Windows 10 exclusive deals hurt the Xbox brand - my guess is it doesn't hurt it all that much considering the player bases of Gears on console and that most people think of Xbox when they think Forza. But for outsiders or even people who already own the console, it looks fairly bad. 

I can't help but think that Microsoft needs to be more competitive when it comes to covering multiple genres. I bought an Xbox One because they seemed to be doing so with Scalebound, Ori and the Blind Forest, Cuphead, and also because they were deliviring games I hadn't experienced on the 360 like Horizon or Crackdown, and i've just been disappoitned time and time again. 

The sales for Gears are good, but considering Uncharted 4 is the best seling Uncharted game(i'm aware it's also heavily bundled but it was probably going to be the best selling uncharted game anyways) i'm a bit disappointed at how much slower Gears of War is coming along. I'm a huge fan of the series and I have a much bigger bias for Halo and Gears - they were the games that got me into gaming. If I didn't find Halo Reach I probably would have never used the internet at all. But the reality is that each iteration gets less sales for both franchises and it's a little bit depressing.

Sorry for shitslinging a bit too much, over exaggeration is a fault on the web. 

jason1637 said:

Ya you're right, I shouldn't have said that especially when I actually asked for the game for Christmas lol. That was a stupid thing to say especially because of the amount of critical acclaim the series has gotten. 

But my original point still stands, I agree both consoles aren't really doing great with release dates but it's hard to deny that Sony is getting better while Microsoft isn't being very competitive for the situation they're in. For a while I actually believed Microsoft was being ultra competitive with Sony because of their constent slew of third parties, but then I realized most people who want a Halo game or a Gears game either have an Xbox One, or don't approve of the series direction(both cases are the same for me). Deliviring games that aren't new experiences and largely make worse on the formula of past games isn't what I imagine Microsoft is trying to do, but they're doing it. It's unclear how much Microsofts Windows 10 exclusive deals hurt the Xbox brand - my guess is it doesn't hurt it all that much considering the player bases of Gears on console and that most people think of Xbox when they think Forza. But for outsiders or even people who already own the console, it looks fairly bad. 

I can't help but think that Microsoft needs to be more competitive when it comes to covering multiple genres. I bought an Xbox One because they seemed to be doing so with Scalebound, Ori and the Blind Forest, Cuphead, and also because they were deliviring games I hadn't experienced on the 360 like Horizon or Crackdown, and i've just been disappoitned time and time again. 

The sales for Gears are good, but considering Uncharted 4 is the best seling Uncharted game(i'm aware it's also heavily bundled but it was probably going to be the best selling uncharted game anyways) i'm a bit disappointed at how much slower Gears of War is coming along. I'm a huge fan of the series and I have a much bigger bias for Halo and Gears - they were the games that got me into gaming. If I didn't find Halo Reach I probably would have never used the internet at all. But the reality is that each iteration gets less sales for both franchises and it's a little bit depressing.

Well atleast we can agree that MS does need to expand on different genres to be more competitive outside their base of gears, halo fans. Scalebound, Ori, and.cupheads are a good start but compared to Sony they still have more to do.

jason1637 said:

Well atleast we can agree that MS does need to expand on different genres to be more competitive outside their base of gears, halo fans. Scalebound, Ori, and.cupheads are a good start but compared to Sony they still have more to do.

I just wish they would have come out last year when I  was very hopeful for the Xbox. But what can ya do. I think 343 should start a separate project from Halo personally. I'm a bit worried about Sea of Thieves. It's looking to be the next Fable Legends, not much hype around it, will probably be quietly cancelled or will die out after release. At least Fable Legends had some Fable fans going. 

Around the Network
TheGreatOther said:

Microsoft's video game producion is the worst it's ever been. 343i, The Coalition, Turn 10 and Rare are the only first party stuios they have that make games. 

Sadly true. They also threw away some of my favorite studio's like Ensemble and Lionhead, Anvil and FASA Interactive over the years.

With that in mind, they only need one game to be the "Next" Halo. And then it all becomes irrellevent.
The 360 didn't sell as much as it did on the back of exclusives... But the Playstation 3 did turn everything around on the back of exclusives, so there is a precedent for both still allowing each platform to be successfull.

I just wish they would have come out last year when I  was very hopeful for the Xbox. But what can ya do. I think 343 should start a separate project from Halo personally. I'm a bit worried about Sea of Thieves. It's looking to be the next Fable Legends, not much hype around it, will probably be quietly cancelled or will die out after release. At least Fable Legends had some Fable fans going. 

Please don't jinx it. :( I am hoping Sea of Theaves is a return to form for Rare.
Whilst their prior games like Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark Zero, Banjo Kazooi Nuts and Bolts were good... They weren't exactly super ground breaking and drove massive sales.
Microsoft's advertising engine needs to get behind it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
TheGreatOther said:

Microsoft's video game producion is the worst it's ever been. 343i, The Coalition, Turn 10 and Rare are the only first party stuios they have that make games. 

Sadly true. They also threw away some of my favorite studio's like Ensemble and Lionhead, Anvil and FASA Interactive over the years.

With that in mind, they only need one game to be the "Next" Halo. And then it all becomes irrellevent.
The 360 didn't sell as much as it did on the back of exclusives... But the Playstation 3 did turn everything around on the back of exclusives, so there is a precedent for both still allowing each platform to be successfull.

Please don't jinx it. :( I am hoping Sea of Theaves is a return to form for Rare.
Whilst their prior games like Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark Zero, Banjo Kazooi Nuts and Bolts were good... They weren't exactly super ground breaking and drove massive sales.
Microsoft's advertising engine needs to get behind it.

sorry dude but it's just so weird. The Xbox community doesn't really seem to gravitate towards new or different projects. Recore was such a silent release despite having such famous developers...most people have probably forgotten Cuphead by now. I don't see most of Microsofts expansions towards other genres working out. But hey, let's hope so. I'd love Rare to make creative things again, even if it's out of their comfort zone. 

Kerotan said:
DialgaMarine said:
Riiiiiight... Because the company he works for didn't start this practice.

All we need from good guy Phil is an apology now.  People forget he was part of the old regime too.  Wasn't he the guy on stage for the xbox reveal who was saying TV, TV,  TV?  Yet plenty want to do nothing but praise him.  

If MS were dominating like Sony this gen you'd see a different Phil.  I don't buy into his good guy image.  It's all a PR tactic. 

I really want to like the guy, but then he pulls something like this out of his ass and reminds me that he's nothing more than a PR stunt for MS to try and change the nasty taste that Mattrick left in people's mouths. Sometimes he seems sincere, but mostly he seems like a puppet. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

sorry dude but it's just so weird. The Xbox community doesn't really seem to gravitate towards new or different projects. Recore was such a silent release despite having such famous developers...most people have probably forgotten Cuphead by now. I don't see most of Microsofts expansions towards other genres working out. But hey, let's hope so. I'd love Rare to make creative things again, even if it's out of their comfort zone. 

I was actually going to pick up Recore. But then saw how short it was and the gameplay issues it had that didn't gel with me, so ended up passing over it.
Same thing went for Gears 4 and Ryse.

I will pick those games up when they are cheaper, gets to a point where you get sick of paying $100-$120 for games and not enjoying them to their fullest.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

His words does have some truth to it. Keeping certain content to a specific console does suck, and one of the terrible practices happenin' in the industry.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread