By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch model is expensive for us and cheap for Nintendo. Hardware and Software.

Watch the new nvidia shield be twice as powerfull and same price or even cheaper than the Switch.

This hybrid thing is terrible. Shoulde have gone with 2 skus playing same games.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
ironmanDX said:
It gives the consumer more options more than anything... If you want a powerful console, go buy a pro or wait less than a year for the even more powerful Scorpio. Want a mid range console? Get an xbox one or Ps4. Want a cheap handheld/console hybrid? Buy the Switch. So I shall.

If Switch cost almost the same as a X1/Ps4 how would it be the cheap console alternative? Nope it would be the handheld (which already existed a market), or the nintendo exclusive machine, but in nowhere it's a cheaper alternative to the other 2 as the other 2 are cheaper alternative to some gaming rigs (that could also use alternatives on PC themselves)

How isn't it? Almost the same, as you say is in fact still cheaper. It also doubles as a portable. I'm not sure how you're confused.                    

Try doubling the Ps4 or xbox one as a portable. That'll be $299 thanks. https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Personal-Environment-XBOX-ONE-S/dp/B00H0R9DSG 

Expecting anything else is silly at this point.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Veknoid_Outcast said:

The cognitive dissonance on this forum is overwhelming.

Perfect description.

CrazyGPU said:

Ok, I get it. As much as I want a real Desktop Console from Nintendo, all I will get is outdated hardware with bad specs and cheap software. The only thing that remains from Nintendo is their creativity.

Lets face it. Nintendo wasn´t like this every generation. Most people say that Nintendo always sells outdated hardware. Not when the Nintendo 64 was ahead of the competition hardware wise. 

They are going to sell a 0,4 Teraflops (desktop) or 0,15-0,2 Tf (handheld) at 200 USS. And they are going to give us Maxwell Nvidia Architecture, introduced in february 2014. A 3 years old architecture.  It will have the same power of a modern tablet or phone. Thats not a Console, Its a tablet designed and sold like a console. Some say its close to 1 Teraflop of power.  Thats 16 bits floating point. If you consider the commonly used 32 bits floating points it´ll give you the 400-500 Gigaflops number. PS4 pro has near 10 times that power, and they say that this thing is going to run 3rd party software? come on, how many games? and how are they going to run on the go with 150 Gigaflops?

Now lets talk games. Nintendo is always creative and great with games, But I remember that Wii U games were getting out very slow and Nintendo told the press that they made a mistake calculating HD games cost. So I guess 4k or nicely looking 1080p games might be very very expensive for them. What are they going to do? games at 720p. Cheaper games and cheaper work on lighting and textures. Of course they are going to sell them to you at full price. 

Now Nintendo fan boys will tell me that that doesnt matter, the only thing that matter is games and that they dont care about better graphics, Then why aren´t they playing NES (1985) games? Would ´t they like characters like in Cartoon movies? I think they would, the point is Nintendo is not going to pay for them. They will give you cheap hardware, cheap games and you will think that you are paying only 200 USS, a great price.

Come on Nintendo , sell it to me like a new 3DS, a new hanheld console with HDMI output, don´t try to sell it to me like a new generation desktop console system. Be honest!. 

Anyway, with all the smartphones and tablets arround, will this thing sell in any other place than Japan? Maybe it will, maybe not, we´ll see. But its not a competitor for PS4 pro and next year Scorpio. Its 10 times less powerfull and I dont know how its going to last 4 or 5 years. 

Before, I was thinking, if this thing run at desktop like a PS4, with 1080p in medium quality, i´ll might buy it, it will have the 3rd party games and great nintendo games. A win win situation. Now all I see is a hanheld with nintendo games. And yes, Nintendo has great games, but how many? and mostly the same franchises.

But what about Sony for example. The last of us, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Quantic Dreams games like Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo, VR and a lot more coming. Also all the 3rd parties great games, for 250 USS on PS4 and 400 on PS4 pro. XBOX gives you Forza, Gears and Halo. Also all 3d parties. And you get a 4K BR player. I don´t care about it, but hey, its a good option for 250 USS.

And Nintendo? Mostly cheap Nintendo games for a Hanheld that I can plug to the tv with cheap old hardware and graphics for 200 USS. Are the games so good that makes this the best option. Not for me. Maybe for some it is, I respect that, but for what I care,

Sorry Nintendo. You lost a Customer.

Let's give you a shot history of consoles race since the NES.

NES = 8bits, using an old MOS CPU (Commodore C64).

Sega = 16bits, using top of the art components.

Winner = NES.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SNES = 16bits, (Do not know the components) but super cheap to built.

Genesis = using a Motorolla 68000, super cpu of the time used by Apple and Amiga.

Winner = SNES.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS1 = Using a 32bits R3000 from MIPS.

N64 = 64bits CPU from MIPS as well, 1st console to use real 3d engine.

Winner = PS1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS2 = Using their own custom made CPU.

Xbox = Using Celeron CPU with a built-in Nvidia GPU Gforce 2 (Power house at the time).

GameCube = 1st using an IBM cpu with ATi video card (Power house at the time).

Winner = Ps2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS3 = Using Cell CPU (CPU used for server) with a custom made GTX7800.

Xbox = Using a 3 cores IBM cpu with a custom made ATI 1900GT.

Wii = Using an bosted version of the Gamecube CPU and GPU.

Winner = Wii.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like you see *every* generation, the cheapest consol win the race.

It is the first generation where the stronger console with the best graphics is winning selling the most.

The console that always won until now,  was the console with the most contents 

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
CrazyGPU said:

The only thing that remains from Nintendo is their creativity.

Well, sadly creativity is missing from most of the rest of the gaming industry. They are so fixated on pixels and polygons, that they forget about fun and creativity. Instead of more boring mainstream-games I would wish for more creative and interesting games.

From someone who hated the Wii to the death, I have to admit it that last generation they pushed lots of good game because the Wii was kicking their asses. 

I'm not personally a fanboy since i owned nearly every gaming devices at the moment, but I realize lately that the gaming industry at large are lazy about the qualities and contents when Nintendo dont goes so well. 

Marcusius said:

Winner = NES.

Genesis = using a Motorolla 68000, super cpu of the time used by Apple and Amiga.

Winner = SNES.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winner = PS1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox = Using Celeron CPU with a built-in Nvidia GPU Gforce 2 (Power house at the time).

Winner = Ps2.

Winner = Wii.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is the first generation where the stronger console with the best graphics is winning selling the most.

LMAO...what about Wii U...they were cheaper then Xbox1 and PS4 right off the bat.. LMAO

squibbfire said:
Marcusius said:

Winner = NES.

Winner = SNES.

Winner = PS1.

Winner = Ps2.

Winner = Wii.

LMAO...what about Wii U...they were cheaper then Xbox1 and PS4 right off the bat.. LMAO

You missed the last part of Marcusius's post where he says that until now, the cheapest console won the race.

squibbfire said:
Marcusius said:

Winner = NES.

Winner = SNES.

Winner = PS1.

Winner = Ps2.

Winner = Wii.

As a owner of a PS4 & Wii U, I can safely say that the Wii U wasn't the console with the most content in terms of software numbers.

no offense OP but you're honestly not really the type of customer Nintendo is after anyway (i.e. it sounds unlikely you were genuinely someone interested in the Wii, DS, 3DS).

Now I haven't really dug Nintendo's last few home consoles, but you're overreacting a little bit. If Nintendo wasn't offering great specs and hardware power AND had no bonus feature then you'd be totally on point.

But a system that is well designed that can comfortably and quickly go from being a handheld to docked and used on your TV without a real change in performance? that's pretty great and hasn't really been done in a dedicated video game format before.

also the reality is that the Switch will be by a HUGE amount the highest graphical handheld video gaming device yet. And don't start bringing up poorly optimized tablets that supposedly have gaming as a feature (they never run well or are comfortable and NO one uses them). SImilarly, there are some powerful phones out there but the gaming on them is a joke, whether we're talking about performance and caliber of game OR the control scheme

There is extreme value in a combined handheld/home device and the transition to playing the games in your hands to docking it and playing on the TV in seconds is potentially pretty exciting.

Again, there have been things CONCEPTUALLY similar but nothing particularly streamlined, successful, or exclusively game dedicated

Nintendo didn't plan well for the Wii U in terms of release schedule, it's true, but I also think its fairly obvious that as the Wii U was beginning to clearly fail (mid life cycle) Nintendo likely decided to shift a number of the projects for the system to the Switch instead. I also will point out that Nintendo actually did a fairly good job at supporting the 3DS

when you combine all of their focus into one device I think its obvious they're going to have a much more frequent release date window for games in the calendar year.

In the end the OP's post is extremely negative. Nintendo was somewhat competitive graphically for a few gens, yes, (SNES / N64 / Gamecube) but in the end its their innovation in terms of unique gameplay and their game LIBRARY that people come to them for

and the Switch specs haven't been released yet. Even so, the rumored specs are insanely good for a handheld primary device, at least when compared with everything up to this point