By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch model is expensive for us and cheap for Nintendo. Hardware and Software.

Even in portable mode, it's still roughly as powerful as Wii U, so it's not like it's terrible and can't produce some nice visuals. Yes, it could be better, and it probably should be better, but it's not terrible. And more importantly, it's probably still going to be used mostly as a home console anyway, so it being a portable hardware-wise doesn't really matter too much. If they released it as purely a home console with no portability, with the same hardware, no one would be complaining about it being a tablet. At most, there would be complaints about it being underpowered but there wouldn't be ridiculous tablet comparisons.

Around the Network
ihh said:
Watch the new nvidia shield be twice as powerfull and same price or even cheaper than the Switch.

This hybrid thing is terrible. Shoulde have gone with 2 skus playing same games.

that's backwards logic for both Nintendo and the consumer. The combined system is genius because it gives them one front to focus on in terms of producing games for, gives consumers potentially essentially 2 systems in 1, and (if the architecture is easy to program for, which it sounds like it is) is a draw for 3rd party developers because they're going to have the entirety of the Nintendo system owners under one roof to sell to

I think the Switch is a fantastic concept. Play on the go and then dock at home on the TV screen. the reality is that practically any device they came up with that would have been capable of this multi function AND remained partly handheld AND at an affordable price, HAD to be realistic specs. Sure, they could have probably beefed it up and ended up with the device costing over 300$ and having like 2 hours of battery life, but what's the point?

all I know is if the rumors about Dark Souls 3 running well on it end up being true then the last reasonable complaint anyone should have are complaints about the specs

Zkuq said:
Even in portable mode, it's still roughly as powerful as Wii U, so it's not like it's terrible and can't produce some nice visuals. Yes, it could be better, and it probably should be better, but it's not terrible. And more importantly, it's probably still going to be used mostly as a home console anyway, so it being a portable hardware-wise doesn't really matter too much. If they released it as purely a home console with no portability, with the same hardware, no one would be complaining about it being a tablet. At most, there would be complaints about it being underpowered but there wouldn't be ridiculous tablet comparisons.

pretty sure rumors have been suggesting that the Switch does not necessarily perform that much better in docked mode, also that it overall spec wise is far beyond the Wii U

Mr.GameCrazy said:
squibbfire said:

LMAO...what about Wii U...they were cheaper then Xbox1 and PS4 right off the bat.. LMAO

You missed the last part of Marcusius's post where he says that until now, the cheapest console won the race.

I don't think Snes was cheaper then the Sega in fact i think the sega was at least 10-20 bucks cheaper and had quick price drops.....

and ps2 was a year before xbox.... Which had price drops..(although I think price is important.)
It's not always the cheapest console that has won. I think it has helped but I think release date and how its marketed are sometimes equally as important.

Werix357 said:

Unfortunately the switch is about on par with the Wii U when it comes to performance, which I find dissapointing considering the Switch is being pushed by Nintendo as a home console. So in essence we're getting a new console four and half years after the release of Nintendo's last one but with very little in the way of technological advancements. Does this mean it won't succeed, no the Wii trod this path as well and came out a winner.

IMO I think Switch's price is going to determine it's success more than the games.

the rumored specs of the Switch (note that the system being docked is apparently not necessarily equating to a big boost in performance) are far beyond the Switch. Not sure the random comments stating otherwise.

The Wii U can't play Dark Souls 3 or Skyrim Remastered (particularly well) and the footage so far of Zelda: Breath of the Wild appears to run much poorer on the Wii U (even when compared with the JImmy Fallon Switch handheld footage or whatever)

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
ihh said:
Watch the new nvidia shield be twice as powerfull and same price or even cheaper than the Switch.

This hybrid thing is terrible. Shoulde have gone with 2 skus playing same games.

that's backwards logic for both Nintendo and the consumer. The combined system is genius because it gives them one front to focus on in terms of producing games for, gives consumers potentially essentially 2 systems in 1, and (if the architecture is easy to program for, which it sounds like it is) is a draw for 3rd party developers because they're going to have the entirety of the Nintendo system owners under one roof to sell to

I think the Switch is a fantastic concept. Play on the go and then dock at home on the TV screen. the reality is that practically any device they came up with that would have been capable of this multi function AND remained partly handheld AND at an affordable price, HAD to be realistic specs. Sure, they could have probably beefed it up and ended up with the device costing over 300$ and having like 2 hours of battery life, but what's the point?

all I know is if the rumors about Dark Souls 3 running well on it end up being true then the last reasonable complaint anyone should have are complaints about the specs

If both skus play the same games you´d get the entirety of nintendo system owners aswell.

Only thing that would change is that the home version could be either cheaper or more powerful and come with a decent controller packed in.

The handheld could also be cheaper since no dock would have to be included in every pack.

The way it is if you are not interested in both gameplay methods you are wasting money because nintendo is only selling this shit together.

Remember the last time consoles did that? Xbox one with kinect. That went well.

Let´s not forget how many begged for a Wii U without the tablet. I sure as hell was one. Didn´t buy the Wii U because of it.

Pemalite said:
Werix357 said:

Unfortunately the switch is about on par with the Wii U when it comes to performance, which I find dissapointing considering the Switch is being pushed by Nintendo as a home console. So in essence we're getting a new console four and half years after the release of Nintendo's last one but with very little in the way of technological advancements. Does this mean it won't succeed, no the Wii trod this path as well and came out a winner.

IMO I think Switch's price is going to determine it's success more than the games.

It is superior to the Wii U.
Where do you get the assumption the Switch is only as powerful as the Wii U?

Yeah I'm only going on what I have seen so far. I personally did not see much of difference between the two Zelda games (Wii U Switch). I thought that if the Switch had a fare advantage over the Wii U then it would be using the original assets from the original Zelda reveal trailer.

And you are right this is an assumption (from someone with limited knowledge) and I know someone like you would have a better idea. The real proof will be in the games that are made for Switch only

haqqaton said:
CrazyGPU said:

Sorry Nintendo. You lost a Customer.

I believe you should have waited until January 12th to make your decision. Maybe they'll show us something good.

Can I ask you a favour, though? If you ever buy a Switch, can you come here and tell us that you didn't keep your word and that this thread was just a temper tantrum?

I didn´t buy a Wii, I didn´t buy a Wii U. So its  very unlikely that I would buy a Switch. Anyway I´ll come  back  if I change my mind. All underpowered consoles without 3rd party support. I wish Nintendo went back to N64 days. I´ll probably buy some Nintendo stuff when my baby kids grow up, switch 2 or whatever. Nintendo has the best software for kids. 

Werix357 said:
Pemalite said:

It is superior to the Wii U.
Where do you get the assumption the Switch is only as powerful as the Wii U?

Yeah I'm only going on what I have seen so far. I personally did not see much of difference between the two Zelda games (Wii U Switch). I thought that if the Switch had a fare advantage over the Wii U then it would be using the original assets from the original Zelda reveal trailer.

And you are right this is an assumption (from someone with limited knowledge) and I know someone like you would have a better idea. The real proof will be in the games that are made for Switch only

Dude... i noticed it too...I thought that zelda looked like a Wii U game...I wonder if thats just because it may have been developed orginally for the Wii U..

squibbfire said:
Werix357 said:

Dude... i noticed it too...I thought that zelda looked like a Wii U game...I wonder if thats just because it may have been developed orginally for the Wii U..

Yeah I know you prob just taking the piss out of me. but I was looking for some simple improvements on Zelda for the Switch, in the very least I was expecting better anisotropic filtering but haven't noticed much difference. Of course all this from watching crappy videos so not much to go on.