By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch model is expensive for us and cheap for Nintendo. Hardware and Software.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering the cost of production versus price to customer they weren't in any way, shape or form going overboard on game creation at the expense of revenue. Not when you consider what all other big studios were making and how much they poor on each project.

When PS4/X1 cost 250 versus a 500 PC it is a cheaper alternative. When Switch release for 199+ it won't be a cheaper alternative, not in the same margin.

Sony do have PSVita if you want, and that is still less than 199 and can play PS4 games through stream, and I basically know all the negatives you'll make

Considering the info we got from DF today, 40% drop on Handheld isn't a small lose in performance.

Don't confuse Nintendo refusing to throw money into the pit that is expensive voice acting, motion-capture, and bleeding-edge tech for miserliness.

??? I'm not confusing anything... but saying Nintendo is losing money because they invest too much on the SW making is strange when they expend a loooooot less than other companies.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I wonder how people will react if they charge for online gaming. People won't like it. They need to be careful.

DonFerrari said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Don't confuse Nintendo refusing to throw money into the pit that is expensive voice acting, motion-capture, and bleeding-edge tech for miserliness.

??? I'm not confusing anything... but saying Nintendo is losing money because they invest too much on the SW making is strange when they expend a loooooot less than other companies.

I never said that. Nintendo spends money according to its means, something other developers should emulate. I was referencing the fact that Iwata was criticized for allowing his studios to take up a lot of time and resources perfecting their games, instead of churning them out at a rapid pace to maximize profits.

squibbfire said:
Zkuq said:

The latest rumors I've seen have suggested Switch to be capable of like 160 GFLOPS when portable, and a bit less than 400 GFLOPS when docked. That roughly 2.5 times more powerful when docked, and I'd say that's a pretty considerable difference (and much more than I initially expected).

!!!!WHAT!?!! OMG I HOPE THATS NOT TRUE... i thought ps3 and xbox are around 250 to 350ish....

Well, it originates to the specs reported by Digital Foundry, so there should be some credibility there. The exact numbers for PS3 and Xbox 360 seem to vary depending on which source you use, but it sounds like Switch is comparable to them, more or less.

Now , lets forget about CPU teraflops for now, How the CPU is feed by the memory bandwith?

PS3= 22 GBytes/s
SWITCH = 25.6 GBytes/s
PS4 = 176 GB/s.

Does that tell someone what kind of textures and lighting can we spect from SWITCH? Again. Its a great hanheld, but don´t sell it like a desktop console.

Around the Network
CrazyGPU said:

Now Nintendo fan boys will tell me that that doesnt matter, the only thing that matter is games and that they dont care about better graphics, Then why aren´t they playing NES (1985) games?

I play lots of old games... On the contrary I ask why so many gamers consider anything more than a few months old completely worthless.

Like when Nintendo puts Mario Galaxy 2 on sale for $10 and people whine about how terrible their sales are. Or original Legend of Zelda for $3.

Anyway back to the point I play more old games than new. Pretty sure I could ignore all new games for the rest of my life and not get bored with what I already have.

CrazyGPU said:
Now , lets forget about CPU teraflops for now, How the CPU is feed by the memory bandwith?

PS3= 22 GBytes/s
SWITCH = 25.6 GBytes/s
PS4 = 176 GB/s.

Does that tell someone what kind of textures and lighting can we spect from SWITCH? Again. Its a great hanheld, but don´t sell it like a desktop console.

They are selling it as a freaking hybrid, that's what the add made it look like, the rest is only semantics, for me it maybe mainly a handheld console but for others it can be mainly a home console, whatever you want to call it is completely irrelevant.

the_dengle said:
CrazyGPU said:

Now Nintendo fan boys will tell me that that doesnt matter, the only thing that matter is games and that they dont care about better graphics, Then why aren´t they playing NES (1985) games?

I play lots of old games... On the contrary I ask why so many gamers consider anything more than a few months old completely worthless.

Like when Nintendo puts Mario Galaxy 2 on sale for $10 and people whine about how terrible their sales are. Or original Legend of Zelda for $3.

Anyway back to the point I play more old games than new. Pretty sure I could ignore all new games for the rest of my life and not get bored with what I already have.

Well, then maybe for you new things doesnt matter. I don´t think that a few months make games worthless. But I like to apreciate how technology, and the worlds and games grow. I would say that there are some games that deserve being played and are old, I might play 10 year old games like COD modern Warfare, Portal, Bioshock, Uncharted and some other great games. For the rest, I usually play games less than 5 years old, thats not a couple of months, but those are games with wolds, sizes, graphics, art and quality that are not far  from current games. Skyrim (2011), Far Cry 3(2012), The Last of US(2013), Tomb Raider (2013) are not a couple of months old and are awesome games (more than 3 years old games). 

squibbfire said:
Zkuq said:

The latest rumors I've seen have suggested Switch to be capable of like 160 GFLOPS when portable, and a bit less than 400 GFLOPS when docked. That roughly 2.5 times more powerful when docked, and I'd say that's a pretty considerable difference (and much more than I initially expected).

!!!!WHAT!?!! OMG I HOPE THATS NOT TRUE... i thought ps3 and xbox are around 250 to 350ish....

It has been explained 1000x times on this site, you cant just compare numbers like that and get the full picture. Switch GPU will still handily outperform PS3/360 as will the CPU and it has like 8x as much RAM.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

CrazyGPU said:

Well, then maybe for you new things doesnt matter. I don´t think that a few months make games worthless. But I like to apreciate how technology, and the worlds and games grow. I would say that there are some games that deserve being played and are old, I might play 10 year old games like COD modern Warfare, Portal, Bioshock, Uncharted and some other great games. For the rest, I usually play games less than 5 years old, thats not a couple of months, but those are games with wolds, sizes, graphics, art and quality that are not far  from current games. Skyrim (2011), Far Cry 3(2012), The Last of US(2013), Tomb Raider (2013) are not a couple of months old and are awesome games (more than 3 years old games). 

New things matter somewhat, I like a shiny new thing as much as the next guy and I generally keep up with what my friends are playing. I appreciate technology too, and I particularly appreciate how developers worked with the limitations of older technology. I love going back to great old gameboy games like the Zeldas and Pokemons. There are a lot of games more than 10 or 15 years old that don't *feel* like they've aged a day, and the way they look is just a sign of when they were made. I wouldn't dismiss City Lights just because it's silent and black & white. It's the same with old games. Truly excellent games are great forever. I would be sad to see an amazing classic like City Lights sitting in a bargain bin for $2 and I'm disappointed when I see gamers whining about some of the best games ever made costing the price of a hamburger.