By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch model is expensive for us and cheap for Nintendo. Hardware and Software.

Soundwave said:
Pemalite said:

Unless you have an understanding of how Flops relates to graphics, then presenting it in such a way is completely and utterly pointless.
Tegra can do more work flop for flop than Graphics Core Next in the next-gen twins.

You can take any game and run it at whatever resolution you want. The cost doesn't actually change.

The cost comes from needing to build higher quality assets, which is generally required regardless of the resolution you run at. (We aren't Photo-realistic at any resolution yet.)

So... Basically an Xbox One then? That was never going to happen. - Unfortunately people didn't realign their expectations when they discovered it was Tegra powered. (Like Ouya.)
Once it was confirmed it was Tegra powered it was sitting between the Wii U and Xbox One in terms of capability. - That fact doesn't change even with the downclocks.

If people had an understanding of what Tegra was capable of, then this backlash wouldn't have happened to the same degree.
Partly that was Nintendo's fault for letting rumours fly around about every single hardware possibility for months and months... And the fanbase for expecting it to be a competitor to the Playstation 4 Pro and Scorpio.

It was just never going to happen. Like Ever.

I have to disagree.

Nintendo is more than capable of competing with Sony and Microsoft and leveraging its brand to take a chunk of the market. This is Nintendo. - They are the Disney of Video games in essence.

Besides, it isn't like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are designing the chips that are inside of these boxes, they are taking semi-custom/vanilla designs made by AMD/nVidia/IBM, packaging it nice and neatly in a nice looking box and whacking a sticker on top and calling it a day.

However, by Nintendo not having competitive hardware that allows for the easy porting of big AAA titles like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls etc'. Then they are loosing out on millions of potential gamers/customers... And even advertising.
When was the last time you saw a AAA title advertised via video or poster that was available on the Next-Gen twins which also said "Also available on WiiU?" - That is advertising Nintendo looses out on.

Nintendo can be competitive and still remain successfull if it plays it's cards right. - No one thought Microsoft would be able to take as much of the market as it did from Sony with the Xbox 360, especially after the original Xbox, but they did it, if Microsoft can do it, you can bet the farm Nintendo can with things like Mario and Pokemon.

Uh, well actually the XBox brand finished pretty strong that first generation with Halo 2, the XBox was even outselling the PS2 for some months as that generation went on. 

So I don't think anyone was thinking the XBox 360 had no chance. And when Sony said 599 ... that basically created the opening for MS. 

Nintendo I don't think is even playing cards anymore, lol. They're off in the corner playing with their own LEGO blocks and checking in on MS and Sony who play cards once in a while. 

At least the LEGO blocks will create great theme parks and expand IP awareness for Nintendo and create greater interest in their products.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Uh, well actually the XBox brand finished pretty strong that first generation with Halo 2, the XBox was even outselling the PS2 for some months as that generation went on. 

So I don't think anyone was thinking the XBox 360 had no chance. And when Sony said 599 ... that basically created the opening for MS. 

Nintendo I don't think is even playing cards anymore, lol. They're off in the corner playing with their own LEGO blocks and checking in on MS and Sony who play cards once in a while. 

It sold only a fraction of the consoles of the PS2 that entire generation.
The Xbox only just beat the Gamecube.

Before the Playstation 3 launched, no one thought Sony would loose as much Marketshare as they did.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I believe Nintendo can compete with Sony, they don't want to. They would rather be the Apple of the video game market, cheap and overpriced.

Unfortunately the switch is about on par with the Wii U when it comes to performance, which I find dissapointing considering the Switch is being pushed by Nintendo as a home console. So in essence we're getting a new console four and half years after the release of Nintendo's last one but with very little in the way of technological advancements. Does this mean it won't succeed, no the Wii trod this path as well and came out a winner.

IMO I think Switch's price is going to determine it's success more than the games.

I get your grief, and also I can't understand how people don't think they are being ripped of when Nintendo make a game, tag it 60 USD and their profit margins are wayyyyyyyyyyyy above the competition, like needing 500k for breaking even but selling 5M while other companies need 3M to break even and sell 4M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

It gives the consumer more options more than anything... If you want a powerful console, go buy a pro or wait less than a year for the even more powerful Scorpio. Want a mid range console? Get an xbox one or Ps4. Want a cheap handheld/console hybrid? Buy the Switch. So I shall.

EricHiggin said:

(..)

"Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment."

That is an early NX quote from Iwata.

This part is why I suspect the current Switch isn't what Iwata had in mind with the NX. They should have done what Iwata said here.

ironmanDX said:
It gives the consumer more options more than anything... If you want a powerful console, go buy a pro or wait less than a year for the even more powerful Scorpio. Want a mid range console? Get an xbox one or Ps4. Want a cheap handheld/console hybrid? Buy the Switch. So I shall.

Now if they would also stop releasing exclusive games then we would have actual choice.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:

Intrinsic said:

In a way i don't blame them anymore, this is simply what they have to do to make it. They just can't compete with sony and Ms anymore, they have to do their own thing in a different enough way for them to still be relevant even without third party support.

I have to disagree.

Nintendo is more than capable of competing with Sony and Microsoft and leveraging its brand to take a chunk of the market. This is Nintendo. - They are the Disney of Video games in essence.

Besides, it isn't like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are designing the chips that are inside of these boxes, they are taking semi-custom/vanilla designs made by AMD/nVidia/IBM, packaging it nice and neatly in a nice looking box and whacking a sticker on top and calling it a day.

However, by Nintendo not having competitive hardware that allows for the easy porting of big AAA titles like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls etc'. Then they are loosing out on millions of potential gamers/customers... And even advertising.
When was the last time you saw a AAA title advertised via video or poster that was available on the Next-Gen twins which also said "Also available on WiiU?" - That is advertising Nintendo looses out on.

Nintendo can be competitive and still remain successfull if it plays it's cards right. - No one thought Microsoft would be able to take as much of the market as it did from Sony with the Xbox 360, especially after the original Xbox, but they did it, if Microsoft can do it, you can bet the farm Nintendo can with things like Mario and Pokemon.

We are technically saying the same thing.

When I say Nintendo can't compete with sony and MS I mean there is no sense for nintendo to make the kinda hardware sony and MS put out, cause that market is lost to them.

Making this kinda hardware, and targetting a different kinda market and form factor is pretty much what they have to do to compete and is the ebst way for them to see success. Would I love a PS4 like Nintendo console? Yes, does it make sense for nintendo to do that? No.

So this is nintendos way of competing.... and thats fine. 

ironmanDX said:

If Switch cost almost the same as a X1/Ps4 how would it be the cheap console alternative? Nope it would be the handheld (which already existed a market), or the nintendo exclusive machine, but in nowhere it's a cheaper alternative to the other 2 as the other 2 are cheaper alternative to some gaming rigs (that could also use alternatives on PC themselves)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."