By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I flew too close to the 1TF sun and my Switch wings melted.

curl-6 said:

I'm not saying run it at full speed undocked or anything, that's obviously not viable, but 30% of a Tegra X1 is really, really slow. And since most devs are likely going to use undocked mode as the base level for graphics and simply up-res it when docked, the games aren't really going to look much better than Wii U this way.

The Switch was meant to be a portable WII U, aiming higher was just going to be a bunch of shattered dreams ... 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not saying run it at full speed undocked or anything, that's obviously not viable, but 30% of a Tegra X1 is really, really slow. And since most devs are likely going to use undocked mode as the base level for graphics and simply up-res it when docked, the games aren't really going to look much better than Wii U this way.

The Switch was meant to be a portable WII U, aiming higher was just going to be a bunch of shattered dreams ... 

For portable play, that's fine, but the problem is that most devs will probably build their graphics to work at low power mode and simply boost resolution when docked. On a big screen TV in 2017, up-res'd Wii U graphics are not going to go over well.

curl-6 said:

For portable play, that's fine, but the problem is that most devs will probably build their graphics to work at low power mode and simply boost resolution when docked. On a big screebn TV in 2017, up-res'd Wii U graphics are not going to go over well.

That's not an issue, that's just a matter of life ... 

I also don't see the issue with big screen TVs either, WII owners didn't have an issue playing SD games with moderately large HD TVs and the same goes for WII U so why would it be an issue on the Switch when you're getting a higher quality image in the end with a higher resolution ?

curl-6 said:

For portable play, that's fine, but the problem is that most devs will probably build their graphics to work at low power mode and simply boost resolution when docked. On a big screen TV in 2017, up-res'd Wii U graphics are not going to go over well.

Not if the game runs at a subnative resolution in portable mode like 540p. Then it'll look better in docked mode, albiet at 720p.

curl-6 said:

For portable play, that's fine, but the problem is that most devs will probably build their graphics to work at low power mode and simply boost resolution when docked. On a big screebn TV in 2017, up-res'd Wii U graphics are not going to go over well.

That's not an issue, that's just a matter of life ... 

I also don't see the issue with big screen TVs either, WII owners didn't have an issue playing SD games with moderately large HD TVs and the same goes for WII U so why would it be an issue on the Switch when you're getting a higher quality image in the end with a higher resolution?

Because a higher resolution by itself is not an impressive upgrade if other aspects of graphics remain more or less the same. 

Wii and Wii U both got a lot of flak for their graphical shortcomings, and the recent specs leak has already killed a lot of people's hype for Switch. Consumers in this day and age do care about graphics.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Not if the game runs at a subnative resolution in portable mode like 540p. Then it'll look better in docked mode, albiet at 720p.

Let's hope so; it would be stupid to chase the 1080p train with specs this low.

curl-6 said:
spemanig said:

I agree. It would make games look a lot better, and they can still have their exclusives hit 1080p if they really need the ego boost.

I just don't understand why Nintendo is being so overly-precautious with the huge underclock on the mobile mode...and why the switch doesn't use the full power of the x1 docked....

So would it be literally impossible for developers to lock portability mode or not? I'm guessing that while yes, the portable mode is a hardware feature not a software feature, developers will find a way to block it if they don't like the results of the lowered system power on the go. I'm not saying this will bring third parties, but some companies who still want to port to Switch will probably block portability mode.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

I agree. It would make games look a lot better, and they can still have their exclusives hit 1080p if they really need the ego boost.

The problem is, hitting 1080p with these specs means running with basically Wii U quality graphics.

curl-6 said:

Because a higher resolution by itself is not an impressive upgrade if other aspects of graphics remain more or less the same. 

Wii and Wii U both got a lot of flak for their graphical shortcomings, and the recent specs leak has already killed a lot of people's hype for Switch. Consumers in this day and age do care about graphics.

I don't deny that but surely some will overlook that in terms of expectations when you're getting some portability in the end ...