By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I flew too close to the 1TF sun and my Switch wings melted.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

I admitted to being pulled into the hype. But I thought the docked Switch would be 600/700 Gflops, not anywhere near PS4. 600/700 Gflops would have got it close enough to Xbox One to see some downscaled current gen ports. Then I would have a choice of at home play with high specs on the PS4 or portable play with lower specs with Switch on current gen titles. Now that choice is gone.

Uhm...I know the numbers are intimidating and all(and yes...the number of Tflops IS important), but if you really think that's all taht matters it isn't. The OS will probably be less consuming of the RAM than the PS4 or Xbox One, it will be easier to develop for than those consoles, and it supports all current engines. It will probably have some other Nvidia technologies that will allow it to have current gen ports, even if they're at worse resolutions(like 720p). 

Let's hope so. But Im not crossing my fingers.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Around the Network
SonytendoAmiibo said:

Uhm...I know the numbers are intimidating and all(and yes...the number of Tflops IS important), but if you really think that's all taht matters it isn't. The OS will probably be less consuming of the RAM than the PS4 or Xbox One, it will be easier to develop for than those consoles, and it supports all current engines. It will probably have some other Nvidia technologies that will allow it to have current gen ports, even if they're at worse resolutions(like 720p). 

Let's hope so. But Im not crossing my fingers.

I mean...we DO know for sure about 70% of what I said. What I am a bit worried about is still the power and RAM. Let's hope that when the system is shown off on January 12th, Nintendo allows Nvidia to release the entire specs, OR...that come the release date, someone guts the system and confirms the specs(since Nintendo never seems to confirm specs)

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

Honestly, I feel like underclocking the Switch to the degree that Nintendo did was a mistake, if only for the negative PR that will result.

Gamers today do care about specs, and headlines all across the internet declaring that Switch is weaker than Tegra X1 even when docked and only 30% as strong undocked will significantly hurt the system's image.

I know "preorder cancelled" has become a widespread joke, but there are plenty of people for whom this news will mean they don't buy one.

Well what else were Nintendo going to do with the given constraints ? 

They went with Nvidia for higher performance per watt, they made the handheld form factor bigger than ever before and they tried to balance between performance and thermal output so that they could hopefully have a good MTBF rating ... 

Would you want similar scenario's happening to the Switch like how Microsoft struggled in the last generation with the red ring of death ? 

There's a reason why Nintendo couldn't clock the Switch as high as the Tegra X1 when there's no active cooling ...

Simple, add active cooling to the dock so it can run at full speed when docked, and cut the battery life down a bit (it's not like 3DS was great in this regard anyway) to run a bit faster when undocked.

curl-6 said:

Well what else were Nintendo going to do with the given constraints ? 

They went with Nvidia for higher performance per watt, they made the handheld form factor bigger than ever before and they tried to balance between performance and thermal output so that they could hopefully have a good MTBF rating ... 

Would you want similar scenario's happening to the Switch like how Microsoft struggled in the last generation with the red ring of death ? 

There's a reason why Nintendo couldn't clock the Switch as high as the Tegra X1 when there's no active cooling ...

Simple, add active cooling to the dock so it can run at full speed when docked, and cut the battery life down a bit (it's not like 3DS was great in this regard anyway) to run a bit faster when undocked.

Yea seriously. 5-8 hours is honestly kind of overkill for the first hybrid console. Or just get a better battery and raise the price. AND USE A NEW TEGRA CHIP. Jesus

curl-6 said:

Well then that'll just make it more bulkier than it already is ... 

The Switch is already not very portable as it is but active cooling is going to make things worse and the ergonomics are going to take a hit too making it not feel very good to handle either ... 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Yea seriously. 5-8 hours is honestly kind of overkill for the first hybrid console. Or just get a better battery and raise the price. AND USE A NEW TEGRA CHIP. Jesus

I think Nintendo only wanted the Switch to be Wii U power when portable and they are perfecty fine with that. What third party developers want means literally nothing to them, as usual.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Notice how it says "active cooling to the dock" not the system?

curl-6 said:

Well then that'll just make it more bulkier than it already is ... 

The Switch is already not very portable as it is but active cooling is going to make things worse and the ergonomics are going to take a hit too making it not feel very good to handle either ... 

I'm not saying run it at full speed undocked or anything, that's obviously not viable, but 30% of a Tegra X1 is really, really slow. And since most devs are likely going to use undocked mode as the base level for graphics and simply up-res it when docked, the games aren't really going to look much better than Wii U this way.

Notice how it says "active cooling to the dock" not the system?

In the patents?

No i was responding to Fatslob