By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I flew too close to the 1TF sun and my Switch wings melted.

Released Clockspeed doesn't actually match estimation based on Jimmy Fallon Show, so I recommend waiting further instead of overworking over a rumor.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

It might not be something you want but the likelihood of Switch selling well with the current concept
is far greater than it likely would as a PS4/XBO clone.

SamLeheny said:
We've already got the Playstation aka the 'Sony Xbox' and the Xbox aka the 'Microsoft Playstation'.
There simply isn't room in the console market for three practically identical systems separated only by proprietary formatting.

Why do people act as if those are the two binary options?  
Nintendo had the option to use amodern fab and architecture, that would reasonably deliver ~30% performance gains for same power usage.
That definitely isn't enough to match Xbone/PS4, but it would undoubtedly deliver a better experience, both mobile and docked.

SamLeheny said:
So now it looks like they're focusing on making a handheld that can do what mobile phones and tablets can't, that is give you a console game like experience on the move.

But having to optimise the game twice for docked and undocked, and with neither of those specs sounding to be all that powerful if rumours are to be believed, it might be too esoteric to develop for and publishers might wander off again.

I question the idea tablets can't deliver this kind of experience, they will be more powerful and controls are available via attachments.
Nintendo's schtick here is just trading on their brand name and their 1st party IPs which they choose to hold exclusive to their platform.

The point re: optimization is valid, and in fact we know Nintendo is telling devs how they can just run games in mobile mode even when docked. 

zorg1000 said:

N64 may be extreme since that was such early/basic 3D that most games look like shit in retrospect but if GC was closer to DC than yes Wave Race would still have looked/played great.

Hey now, I got Wave Race 64 on Virtual Console and played it repeatedly throughout this year. No issues with those game's graphics. The only thing I would complain about is that the Wii U stick isn't as good as the N64 stick, but that would only be a real issue if I played time attack seriously.

As for Blue Storm, I always felt that the environments outside the water looked rather basic, at times even N64-esque. But that didn't change that I thought of the game as awesome, because it added further nuances to the gameplay with the boost system.

What was the point again? Ah yes, the Wii didn't sell well because people got around to love the GC late in that system's life; the Wii sold well because it wasn't a system like the GC. Likewise, the Wii U didn't fail because people were appalled by the Wii; the Wii U failed because it wasn't a system like the Wii.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

i flew into 600 gflops docked.
im still ok.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

N64 may be extreme since that was such early/basic 3D that most games look like shit in retrospect but if GC was closer to DC than yes Wave Race would still have looked/played great.

Hey now, I got Wave Race 64 on Virtual Console and played it repeatedly throughout this year. No issues with those game's graphics. The only thing I would complain about is that the Wii U stick isn't as good as the N64 stick, but that would only be a real issue if I played time attack seriously.

As for Blue Storm, I always felt that the environments outside the water looked rather basic, at times even N64-esque. But that didn't change that I thought of the game as awesome, because it added further nuances to the gameplay with the boost system.

What was the point again? Ah yes, the Wii didn't sell well because people got around to love the GC late in that system's life; the Wii sold well because it wasn't a system like the GC. Likewise, the Wii U didn't fail because people were appalled by the Wii; the Wii U failed because it wasn't a system like the Wii.

Wii U still would've failed even if you dumped the tablet controller and kept the Wiimote as the main controller. 

Wii's audience was happy with the Wii. They didn't want another console. For what? HD graphics? The regular Wii plays Just Dance just fine. 

Wii U tablet was Nintendo's desperate attempt to come up with something new, but they took so long to bring it to market that tablets had already stolen all the thunder from that type of an idea. Nintendo never created the Wiimote anyway, so it's no surprise they weren't able to properly succeed it, an American inventor made it and sold it to them but only after Sony/MS passed on it. 

Wii's sales started declining clearly too once Nintendo didn't have exclusive reign over motion gaming as well, we see XBox 360 overtake the Wii in monthly sales regularily from Kinect's release onwards, Sony also got Move controllers, once it was everywhere, that type of experience was no longer special/different and then consumers just got bored with all three of them. It's actually kind of a wonder that Sony/MS took so long to copy the idea. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Wii U still would've failed even if you dumped the tablet controller and kept the Wiimote as the main controller. 

Wii's audience was happy with the Wii. They didn't want another console. For what? HD graphics? The regular Wii plays Just Dance just fine. 

Wii's sales started declining clearly too once Nintendo didn't have exclusive reign over motion gaming as well, we see XBox 360 overtake the Wii in monthly sales regularily from Kinect's release onwards, Sony also got Move controllers, once it was everywhere, that type of experience was no longer special/different and then consumers just got bored with all three of them. 

Yes, I know you hate the Wii and everyone who likes it.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

Wii's sales started declining clearly too once Nintendo didn't have exclusive reign over motion gaming as well, we see XBox 360 overtake the Wii in monthly sales regularily from Kinect's release onwards, Sony also got Move controllers, once it was everywhere, that type of experience was no longer special/different and then consumers just got bored with all three of them. 

Yes, I know you hate the Wii and everyone who likes it.

It's an ok system. Not the second coming, not the worst thing ever. It was a clever read on a market that at the time (mid-2000s) was completely under-served. 

Though as I said in my edit, it's not entirely shocking Nintendo had no idea how to succeed the Wiimote, because they didn't invent the Wiimote anyway. It fell into their lap from an American inventor. Wii U tablet is fully their creation from the ground up. 

bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

Wasn't Wii like 1/20th the power of PS3/360 and was able to handle some multiplats?

I don't really think the difference between 1/3 or 1/5 of PS4 is going to matter when it comes to getting ports. If they wont port games with 1/5 the power, I dont really think having 1/3 the power would mean much better support.

Well if they downgraded enough (and remember COD had an entire seperate dev team working on Wii ports) sure, not a problem. The issue was Wii sold like wildfire and Switch is coming out when the competition has 80+ mil in homes.

a good chunk of those multiplat games ran like crap on Wii anyway (COD) and some of them werent even the same game (Force Unleashed)

Obviously what they did do was not viable with any significant audience.
Whether Wii U might have been more successful by dumping tablet and selling at lower price is open question.
Or using the same budget to allow stronger CPU/GPU/memory at the same cost to consumer.

I think it does have bearing on Switch in revealing consequences of cheaping out on performance strategy.
That did not mean they could later drop their costs of production so much to maximize competitiveness in S/M market.
Too large a percentage of production cost was tied up in components less amenable to production gains.
Switch also commits to obsolete 2D 20nm process when future fab improvements (10nm, 7nm) will be 3D FinFET.
Rather than getting on board same fab node bandwagon everybody else is, even if aiming for smaller APU at lower clock,
Nintendo uses last-gen fab node which makes their design less amenable to future cost reductions from fab improvements.
It is aiming far behind the curve, and thus will always miss the largest % of cost improvements which the mainstream gains.

Einsam_Delphin said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

Two words: Mini NES

Only two? Well here's twenty words!

That's just a bunch of old games bundled together, not Nintendo's next system that developers will be making games for.

You counted those words, didn't you. Dont lie, you made sure there were exactly twenty words. The mini NES is Nintendo rereleasing old tech for modern cash and its this holiday's system. I rest my case. Next please.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969