By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I flew too close to the 1TF sun and my Switch wings melted.

curl-6 said:
maxleresistant said:

No, I'm not projecting anything, yes the GC had trouble because of its image, but by the end of the gen, a lot of people changed their mind about it, not to the point of buying it, because that ship had sailed. But certainly to the point of thinking about buying the next console made by Nintendo.

I don't think so; GC, like Wii U, was practically forgotten by its last year on the market. By then, all eyes were on the Wii. What was there to change its image anyway? All its major games besides Twilight Princess had long since been and gone, and none of them had been enough to save it from 3rd place. 

Let's agree to disagree.

Around the Network

No I agree with Curl and I think you're being a little blind Maxle. Even as catchy as the name is, "gamecube" had a lot of marketing issues that just started from it's size and kept pilling up more and more. The Wii was the right thing for Nintendo, it's just disappointing that they don't continue down the powerful console route like some people want...

maxleresistant said:
zippy said:
The power of Switch means jack shit to me, all I want is proof that Nintendo can produce a steady stream of games without long droughts, then I might bite. Having so many Wii U ports fills me with dread, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

Funny that the power means jack shit for you, but your avatar is a game that was one of most cutting edge in the history of gaming in terms of graphics and physics.

I know Nintendo fans have lowered their standards countless times in the last 10 years, but man, it's gotten to the point that it doesn't make any sense.

What has my avatar got to do with anything?? As I have said, power isn't important to me when it comes to Nintendo. I'm fine with the graphics Wii U has to offer it has some of the most pleasing visuals of this gen and I'm counting PS4 and XBOX as well. I will think about Switch when Nintendo prove they have got their shit together releasing regular content.

****! Meant to quote. I'll take it as a sign.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

zippy said:
maxleresistant said:

Funny that the power means jack shit for you, but your avatar is a game that was one of most cutting edge in the history of gaming in terms of graphics and physics.

I know Nintendo fans have lowered their standards countless times in the last 10 years, but man, it's gotten to the point that it doesn't make any sense.

What has my avatar got to do with anything?? As I have said, power isn't important to me when it comes to Nintendo. I'm fine with the graphics Wii U has to offer it has some of the most pleasing visuals of this gen and I'm counting PS4 and XBOX as well. I will think about Switch when Nintendo prove they have got their shit together releasing regular content.

You enjoyed a game with good graphics on a powerful console for the time, therefore you are clearly lying about not caring about power lol

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Released Clockspeed doesn't actually match estimation based on Jimmy Fallon Show, so I recommend waiting further instead of overworking over a rumor.

zorg1000 said:

It might not be something you want but the likelihood of Switch selling well with the current concept
is far greater than it likely would as a PS4/XBO clone.

SamLeheny said:
We've already got the Playstation aka the 'Sony Xbox' and the Xbox aka the 'Microsoft Playstation'.
There simply isn't room in the console market for three practically identical systems separated only by proprietary formatting.

Why do people act as if those are the two binary options?  
Nintendo had the option to use amodern fab and architecture, that would reasonably deliver ~30% performance gains for same power usage.
That definitely isn't enough to match Xbone/PS4, but it would undoubtedly deliver a better experience, both mobile and docked.

SamLeheny said:
So now it looks like they're focusing on making a handheld that can do what mobile phones and tablets can't, that is give you a console game like experience on the move.

But having to optimise the game twice for docked and undocked, and with neither of those specs sounding to be all that powerful if rumours are to be believed, it might be too esoteric to develop for and publishers might wander off again.

I question the idea tablets can't deliver this kind of experience, they will be more powerful and controls are available via attachments.
Nintendo's schtick here is just trading on their brand name and their 1st party IPs which they choose to hold exclusive to their platform.

The point re: optimization is valid, and in fact we know Nintendo is telling devs how they can just run games in mobile mode even when docked. 

i flew into 600 gflops docked.
im still ok.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

N64 may be extreme since that was such early/basic 3D that most games look like shit in retrospect but if GC was closer to DC than yes Wave Race would still have looked/played great.

Hey now, I got Wave Race 64 on Virtual Console and played it repeatedly throughout this year. No issues with those game's graphics. The only thing I would complain about is that the Wii U stick isn't as good as the N64 stick, but that would only be a real issue if I played time attack seriously.

As for Blue Storm, I always felt that the environments outside the water looked rather basic, at times even N64-esque. But that didn't change that I thought of the game as awesome, because it added further nuances to the gameplay with the boost system.

What was the point again? Ah yes, the Wii didn't sell well because people got around to love the GC late in that system's life; the Wii sold well because it wasn't a system like the GC. Likewise, the Wii U didn't fail because people were appalled by the Wii; the Wii U failed because it wasn't a system like the Wii.

Wii U still would've failed even if you dumped the tablet controller and kept the Wiimote as the main controller. 

Wii's audience was happy with the Wii. They didn't want another console. For what? HD graphics? The regular Wii plays Just Dance just fine. 

Wii U tablet was Nintendo's desperate attempt to come up with something new, but they took so long to bring it to market that tablets had already stolen all the thunder from that type of an idea. Nintendo never created the Wiimote anyway, so it's no surprise they weren't able to properly succeed it, an American inventor made it and sold it to them but only after Sony/MS passed on it. 

Wii's sales started declining clearly too once Nintendo didn't have exclusive reign over motion gaming as well, we see XBox 360 overtake the Wii in monthly sales regularily from Kinect's release onwards, Sony also got Move controllers, once it was everywhere, that type of experience was no longer special/different and then consumers just got bored with all three of them. It's actually kind of a wonder that Sony/MS took so long to copy the idea. 

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

Wii U still would've failed even if you dumped the tablet controller and kept the Wiimote as the main controller. 

Wii's audience was happy with the Wii. They didn't want another console. For what? HD graphics? The regular Wii plays Just Dance just fine. 

Wii's sales started declining clearly too once Nintendo didn't have exclusive reign over motion gaming as well, we see XBox 360 overtake the Wii in monthly sales regularily from Kinect's release onwards, Sony also got Move controllers, once it was everywhere, that type of experience was no longer special/different and then consumers just got bored with all three of them. 

Yes, I know you hate the Wii and everyone who likes it.

It's an ok system. Not the second coming, not the worst thing ever. It was a clever read on a market that at the time (mid-2000s) was completely under-served. 

Though as I said in my edit, it's not entirely shocking Nintendo had no idea how to succeed the Wiimote, because they didn't invent the Wiimote anyway. It fell into their lap from an American inventor. Wii U tablet is fully their creation from the ground up.