By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

3DS isn't anywhere near as powerful as any console on the market right now but it's still the best selling device. It's not about the power you have, it's what you do with it and what games you can make with it. Switch isn't a home console, it's not really a handheld but it's more of a handheld than it is a home console. So I think Nintendo is shooting for portability with games that look far better than 3DS, Vita, PS3 and 360 and Wii U (maybe as good as Xbox One), that can also double as console games

Around the Network

Disappointed, but not surprised. If they keep the same level of quality and 3rd party support of the 3DS I guess it's still a good device, but it's a shame it won't be anything more than a secondary device. I don't know why they always have to make those questionable decisions.

Lets be honest here. more powerful than the Wii U, but not on par with the PS4, is more then enough for a handheld. If the switch was on par with the PS4 but had a price tag of 350$USD~ (same as WiiU). It would failed. Nintendo knows what there doing. In Jan2017, Im looking forward to games, no specs. Dont want the switch to be another vita

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

twintail said:
spemanig said:

Third party support from From Soft and Bethesda.

We know very little about 3rd party support. Bethesda bringing Skyrim is not some grand gesture of support. Its Skyrim. an updated port of a 2011 game.

As for From Software, who knows what they are doing. They clearly are interested enough to look into development but they arent engine wizards, and sounds like they are just doing a port job too at best. 

Until Jan we dont really know alot about 3rd party support outside of a publisher image from Nintendo which only stiulates interest ino developing for the system, and not that they have actual games in development to release.

Of course it is. They literally said they they haven't supported Nintendo because of power, they said they the Switch demo was the most impressive they've ever seen, and the Skyrim being featured is the remastered version, which isn't possible on last gen-level hardware.

With From, the rumor from Laura Kate Dale is that they have DS3 running at a satisfactory level on the Switch, and they were another dev who were very vocal about not putting the Souls series on Nintendo hardware specifically. Since they are confirmed to be working on the Switch, that's likely the game. That's current gen.

We are obviously not getting the entire picture. That list is specifically for partners, which means they are developing for it. I don't remember any dev on the Wii U image that didn't.

If this is true... I'll definitely wait 1 or even 2 years to buy it (cheaper and bundled). I don't care about power, but that's simply shocking if true! I thought at the very least it would be 3-4x more powerful than Wii U. I'm baffled.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:

3DS isn't anywhere near as powerful as any console on the market right now but it's still the best selling device. It's not about the power you have, it's what you do with it and what games you can make with it. Switch isn't a home console, it's not really a handheld but it's more of a handheld than it is a home console. So I think Nintendo is shooting for portability with games that look far better than 3DS, Vita, PS3 and 360 and Wii U (maybe as good as Xbox One), that can also double as console games

Handhelds are a different market. It's only competition was the Vita. Switch is not "more of a handheld" and, like it or not, is competing with PS4/XBO. That's how it's being marketed, that's likely how its software will be priced, and that's how the mass market are going to make their purchasing decisions with regards to it.

anthony64641 said:
Lets be honest here. more powerful than the Wii U, but not on par with the PS4, is more then enough for a handheld. If the switch was on par with the PS4 but had a price tag of 350$USD~ (same as WiiU). It would failed. Nintendo knows what there doing. In Jan2017, Im looking forward to games, no specs. Dont want the switch to be another vita

That's not true at all. The majority of the gaming world(you know...The west) already primarily views the Switch as a home console WITH THE ADDED BENEFIT of being mobile-capable. They probably would have spent 350$ on it easily with Mario and Zelda. It's just ridiculous that people eat up these kind of excuses.

But honestly...I don't believe these rumors. But let's say they are true, then Nintendo STILL could have made this more powerful than it is at 250$. AGAIN, ASSUMING these rumors are really...why is Nintendo using such a low amount of the GPU? Why is the architecture maxwell instead of Pascal? Why have a cooling fan when you're using so little of the performance capable? Why make it WORSE than the Tegra X1? ETC 

LipeJJ said:
If this is true... I'll definitely wait 1 or even 2 years to buy it (cheaper and bundled). I don't care about power, but that's simply shocking if true! I thought at the very least it would be 3-4x more powerful than Wii U. I'm baffled.

It look like is gonna be around x3 the power of wiiu so your expectations may be right in the low end.

Goodnightmoon said:
LipeJJ said:

It look like is gonna be around x3 the power of wiiu so your expectations may be right in the low end.

In the dock, sure, but in all likelihood, the only boost it get from docking in most games is resolution and, in some GPU-bound games, a more stable framerate.

Lighting, shading, textures, effects, geometry, etc, will all still be in the Wii U's ballpark.

Goodnightmoon said:
LipeJJ said:

x2 is probably more accurate. Still that's good enough to get you Wii U graphics at 1080p (2.2x the pixels). That's probably exactly what Nintendo wanted when starting this project ... Wii U graphics on the go (so they could port their Wii U engines easily) and Wii U graphics at 1080p for home play. 

A lot of what's coming out lines up perfectly with this too.

If you wanted a portable game machine capable of running Wii U games, you would need about 176 Gigaflops. Well Switch is about 154 gigaflops undocked, factoring in architecture improvements this is virtually a wash. 

And if you then wanted to be able to run those same games at 1080p, you would need to render 2.2x as many pixels. 384 gigaflops hits that a tee almost perfectly.