By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

zwei said:
Good enought for a handheld.

yes but not or a home console. this is what Nintendo are marketing it as.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Sorry man but you gotta dumb it down for me a bit.

Just in simple terms, could those smartphones run a game like BotW with acceptable performance & batterly life?

Also isnt the S7 Edge like $700? 

Yes. It could run it. There is zero technical reason why.

And yes, it is that expensive. But the cost of the Switch doesn't magically double if you took the GPU out of Galaxy and dropped it into the Switch.
There is so much more in the Galaxy that drives the price up.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

Sorry man but you gotta dumb it down for me a bit.

Just in simple terms, could those smartphones run a game like BotW with acceptable performance & batterly life?

Also isnt the S7 Edge like $700? 

Yes. It could run it. There is zero technical reason why.

And yes, it is that expensive. But the cost of the Switch doesn't magically double if you took the GPU out of Galaxy and dropped it into the Switch.
There is so much more in the Galaxy that drives the price up.

I don't always agree with you, but often times it's because you know more about the subject than I do, and you love to poke holes in my oversimplifications.

But this time, I couldn't agree with you more. Another thing that might want to be noted is that the markup on the price of smartphones is absolutely astounding. Apparently the Bill of Materials for the Galaxy S7 is $255, wheras the BOM for the Xbox One S is $324. Yet, MS charges $300-350 for the Xbox One S, and Samsung can get away with a $670 MSRP for the Galaxy S7. With this in mind, it's really not fair to consider the cost of the smartphone when considering the cost of the technology within it. There certainly doesn't appear to be any reason why the components of the Galaxy S7 are too expensive for Nintendo to utilize.

zorg1000 said:
m_csquare said:

Have you seen the ios version of Submerged? Price is quite irrelevant cos we dont knw how much NS will cost. We also need to consider other aspects like build quality and os that may jack up mobile phone price. And despite the high price, s7 still sells like hotcake.

Just looked it up, it comes nowhere close to BotW in terms of visuals & scope, it looks like an HD PS2 game, which is fine, the game looks fun but my question still doesnt have an answer, is it possible to have a game like BotW on current high end phones with solid performance & battery life?

I think you're missing my point about price, how much it sells has nothing to do with it, what im getting at is comparing the specs of two devices with a similar form factor that cost $250/300 (most rumors) & $700+ doesnt make much sense. The device that costs 2-3x as much should be more powerful.

I wouldnt call the last let's play BoTW video as solid performance (fps and texture were horrible), and rumors abt battery life are not great (some even mentioned 3hours battery life). If submerged didnt convince, take a look at afterpulse. What you misunderstood is that those games are playable in lower-end table/phone, which is at the same price range with NS.

Instead of guessing (yes, guessing) how NS will perform, why not take a look at these numbers?  With these spec, good luck running ds3 on switch. Even on the lowest setting with 720p, ds3 requires 2.5gb vram. So if you want a game that's "close to BotW in terms of visuals & scope", you're gon need more powerful device than switch. Bear in mind that BoTW is an in-house game, which is often almost perfectly optimized for the system. Most 3rd party games would never have that level of optimization.

sam987 said:
There should be another Switch like Switch TV, without the lcd-screen but with higher specs...

Why make Switch TV when you can by a Xbox 360 dirt cheap to play gen 7 multi-plats? Being portable with Switch means gen 7 multi-plats are portable too. That's something Xbox 360 can't do. There is literally no reason to make a Switch TV.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Around the Network
SonytendoAmiibo said:
sam987 said:
There should be another Switch like Switch TV, without the lcd-screen but with higher specs...

Why make Switch TV when you can by a Xbox 360 dirt cheap to play gen 7 multi-plats? Being portable with Switch means gen 7 multi-plats are portable too. That's something Xbox 360 can't do. There is literally no reason to make a Switch TV.

I know this whole thread is you crying about your disappointment with Nintendo, but at least until January 12th, can you stop pretending like the Switch is the official 7th gen portable machine? It's pretty obvious that  the Switch is either going to get some 8th gen ports or it's not going to get any ports at all, not only would it be pretty unlikely for companies to rerelease  only 7th gen games, but we already know a lot of high quality Square games are most likely coming to Switch so this stab at nintendo doesn't really work. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

I know this whole thread is you crying about your disappointment with Nintendo, but at least until January 12th, can you stop pretending like the Switch is the official 7th gen portable machine? It's pretty obvious that  the Switch is either going to get some 8th gen ports or it's not going to get any ports at all, not only would it be pretty unlikely for companies to rerelease  only 7th gen games, but we already know a lot of high quality Square games are most likely coming to Switch so this stab at nintendo doesn't really work. 

Actually you are in the wrong thread. This is the Digital Foundry thread. Just saying......

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

SonytendoAmiibo said:

Actually you are in the wrong thread. This is the Digital Foundry thread. Just saying......

XD ahhaha sorry chap 

SonytendoAmiibo said:

XD ahhaha sorry chap 

No prob. You are always welcome to come over to my melted Switch wings thread and show me the error of my ways. Not that it will do any good.