By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture not Pascal

Soundwave said:
I almost feel like they should've waited, maybe not until as late as November 2017, but how about August/September 2017 (like the SNES and N64 and GameCube in Japan launched)?

It's not even like Zelda will be ready. March again, just seems like such a weird and arbitrary date to rush towards.

Well the company need something to sell , They already gave up on Wii U they need to rush it  .  

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

Great news! Might be selling for cheaper in stores msrp!

Edit: ironically i saw this news on gaf and said to myself my good ol boy Sh1nn would make a thread. Glad i was right xD

The Passive Aggressiveness in this post is off the charts!

snyps said:

Sh1nn will never report anything good for Nintendo. Why? What do you get out of it? Not saying this isn't worth reporting. I just don't understand what's at stake for you, Sh1nn. Can you explain this?

There's plenty of people on the site that will never report anything BAD for Nintendo. Regardless News is news, and there's nothing wrong with the thread so you shouldn't be making accusations.

I don't really care what architecture it uses, I care about it's performance. We're pretty sure it's going to be around 600Gflops maybe 750Gflops if we're lucky, a fair bit weaker than an XBO.

Just for record, article is few times edited after release...

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:
Going with older, cheaper tech does fit Nintendo's MO for the past 12 years, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Switch's GPU is a modified Tegra X1.

Article saying that Pascal chips were not ready for Switch on time.

"Nvidia introduced its new Pascal architecture earlier this year, but that technology is not ready for the Tegra chip going into the Switch.

In the meantime, however, some fans might find it disappointing that Nintendo is using the Maxwell chip in the Switch instead of Pascal. But the timing just didn’t work out for Nintendo. Sources told GamesBeat that the Kyoto-based Japanese company is in such a rush that it can’t wait for the Pascal version of the Tegra. That’s both because the publisher wants to replace the failing Wii U and because it wants to strike quickly with its hybrid concept before a competitor can introduce a better product. That happened with the Wii U when — after years of development — Nintendo introduced its tablet-like Gamepad to consumers who had been using Apple’s iPads for the previous 24 months. If Nintendo decided to use Pascal in the Switch, it would have no choice but to delay the system and risk a similar situation."

Honestly, I don't think this is such a big deal. Maxwell is already good enough.

Switch doesn't need to compete with PS4 in power; even a stock Tegra X1 would be enough to surpass Wii U graphics, which is pretty damn good for a portable device. Nintendo's games already looked great at Wii U spec, so 500 Gigaflops is more than they need.

neogaf says 1TF. Anyway I don't find it all that hard to believe base XBO in a portable. XBO is using an ancient CPU. It was mid range PC specs in 2013. When Switch comes out XBO will be 4 years old and the hardware inside even older. Dreamcast when it launched was top of the line cutting edge tech. Naomi was the next arcade hardware after Model 3 and SEGA in the arcades Model 1,2,3 and such was like UE of today but in hardware. Well about only 4-5 years after DC launched it was possible to have Dreamcast on a single chip for portable devices. SEGA Nomad was a portable Genesis and Turboexpress was a portable Turbo16 and Turbo esp was not that far from the console release. like 3-4 years. Granted the batt life sucked but they were AA then. I don't rule something out near XBO levels in a portable.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Article saying that Pascal chips were not ready for Switch on time.

"Nvidia introduced its new Pascal architecture earlier this year, but that technology is not ready for the Tegra chip going into the Switch.

In the meantime, however, some fans might find it disappointing that Nintendo is using the Maxwell chip in the Switch instead of Pascal. But the timing just didn’t work out for Nintendo. Sources told GamesBeat that the Kyoto-based Japanese company is in such a rush that it can’t wait for the Pascal version of the Tegra. That’s both because the publisher wants to replace the failing Wii U and because it wants to strike quickly with its hybrid concept before a competitor can introduce a better product. That happened with the Wii U when — after years of development — Nintendo introduced its tablet-like Gamepad to consumers who had been using Apple’s iPads for the previous 24 months. If Nintendo decided to use Pascal in the Switch, it would have no choice but to delay the system and risk a similar situation."

Honestly, I don't think this is such a big deal. Maxwell is already good enough.

Switch doesn't need to compete with PS4 in power; even a stock Tegra X1 would be enough to surpass Wii U graphics, which is pretty damn good for a portable device. Nintendo's games already looked great at Wii U spec, so 500 Gigaflops is more than they need.

Agree, but article is a  little strange, they saying it has power more than 1TF and that would be too much for Tegra and some realistic expectations are 500-600 Gigaflops.

bunchanumbers said:
I don't see the issue. It was always going to be weak compared to Xbox One and PS4. I think claims of 1TF performance is a serious stretch. I think its real world numbers will have it around 500gflops which puts it at a few times more powerful than Wii U.

Seriously I think its the best we can hope for but sacrifices had to be made for the form factor.

Wait... A last-gen GPU architecture is "best you can hope for"?  A last-gen fab node is "best you can hope for"?
I mean, I was clear in my last post, out powering full consoles is not 100% realistic, 
but using best architecture/fab possible gets you the best possible, why would you not hope for that?

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Agree, but article is a  little strange, they saying it has power more than 1TF and that would be too much for Tegra and some realistic expectations are 500-600 Gigaflops.

Yeah the article is a mess and reads like it was written by someone with very little understanding of the topic.

All I'm saying is, if it does turn out that Switch is Maxwell Tegra rather than Pascal Tegra, I don't think that's a problem.

HollyGamer said:

Remember with great power comes batteries capacity, and thermal problem. And u guys forget that Switch is a dedicated gaming machine unlike Nvidia Shield Tablet or other Tablet device, The Switch run on optimization close to the metal , it doesn't need universal API like Android or iOS or Windows Surface. And all games will be made for one spec in mind so it will be fully optimize. 

Do you not understand the benefits of Pascal architecture at more modern fabrication node?
That means more performance at less power draw / heat dissipation, which is exactly what you want on this.

I think you also missed NVIDIA announcing that they themselves are behind the... API that Switch will use.
Nobody is optimizing down to the metal, it will still use common APIs even if having fixed hardware allow more optimization.
That is why devs like when Sony and MS release updates to their... console APIs, because nobody writes machine code.

Soundwave said:
I almost feel like they should've waited, maybe not until as late as November 2017, but how about August/September 2017 (like the SNES and N64 and GameCube in Japan launched)?

It's not even like Zelda will be ready. March again, just seems like such a weird and arbitrary date to rush towards.

Exactly, they will not even get Zelda on launch, so what is the point of arbitrary launch date in early Spring?
Anyways, no need to get hysterical over such a crap article, they very well could be using Pascal and modern fab node.
I honestly don't rule out them being able to launch on 10nm, NVIDIA works with Samsung even if TSMC takes their time.
None of those are going to make miracles happen, but do let them pull of the best peformance, battery life, etc, possible.
If you are starting a console with lifetime of 5 years+, giving up advantage like that for 1 month etc timing is crazy stupid.