By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture not Pascal

JRPGfan said:

This makes it sound like its a Tegra X1 inside there right? not a X2.

That would also point to a 512 (Fp32) /1024 (Fp16) Gflop machine wouldnt it? unless Nvidia did a semi custom model?

I imagine the Switch hardware will be customised to some extent, I don't think you'll get exactly the same chip in any other device.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

That would also point to a 512 (Fp32) /1024 (Fp16) Gflop machine wouldnt it? unless Nvidia did a semi custom model?

Nvidia have confirmed its a customized Tegra.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

The question is whether the base chip its derived from is Maxwell (X1) or Pascal. (X2)

Barkley said:
JRPGfan said:

I imagine the Switch hardware will be customised to some extent, I don't think you'll get exactly the same chip in any other device.

I thought that was the point though?

To go cheap, by useing excisting designs, and not order something custom? and spend too much on R&D of the chip.

If its semi custom that means it ll be more powerfull than a Tegra X1, and might actually be close to 1 teraflop, if nintendo doubled up on gpu.

The problem is then your looking at a 30-40watt power consumption, which isnt a problem for a home console, but for a handheld?

Intresting to see how they handle power consumption when not docked.

JRPGfan said:

If its semi custom that means it ll be more powerfull than a Tegra X1

Not necessarily; custom chips are sometimes less powerful than the chip they're based on.

curl-6 said:
JRPGfan said:

If its semi custom that means it ll be more powerfull than a Tegra X1

Not necessarily; custom chips are sometimes less powerful than the chip they're based on.

.....  please dont do that Curl-6.

Your saying nintendo could have spent alot of money on R&D, makeing a weaker than normal Tegra X1?

Thats too much... expensive for no reason, and less than 512 Gflops? >_>

Not even nintendo would do something like that.

If its custom its because they wanted more power.... hopefully.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

Your saying nintendo could have spent alot of money on R&D, makeing a weaker than normal Tegra X1?

There are other factors besides power. In the case of Switch, efficiency is paramount. They could have made it weaker in order to improve battery life, heat generation, etc.

curl-6 said:
JRPGfan said:

There are other factors besides power. In the case of Switch, efficiency is paramount. They could have made it weaker in order to improve battery life, heat generation, etc.

I hope not... I see myself mainly useing it as a homeconsole, and would rather it ended up as close as possbile to the XB1&PS4 as nintendo can get the chip.

When taking the slow ARM CPU into account, even Pascal would have been much slower than the PS4 and X1.

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

I hope not... I see myself mainly useing it as a homeconsole, and would rather it ended up as close as possbile to the XB1&PS4 as nintendo can get the chip.

It's simply too early to say at this point. We know that Maxwell Tegra performs at 500 Gigaflops and Pascal at 750 Gigaflops, so it's probably somewhere in that ballpark.

HoloDust said:

Just to clarify, Pascal is not just a shrink of Maxwell with better delta color compression.

Asynchronous concurrent compute is improved:

as well as Fined-Grained Preemption.

For more info Anadtech goes indepth on Pascal architecture:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/9

Just here is point about Tegra Pascal not desktop Pascal, gains are not same for Tegra mobile chip and desktop chip, especially for device like Switch, so when we talk about Tegra Pascal and Switch all comes to more power efficient chip compared to Tegra Maxwell.