By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture not Pascal

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Agree, but article is a  little strange, they saying it has power more than 1TF and that would be too much for Tegra and some realistic expectations are 500-600 Gigaflops.

Yeah the article is a mess and reads like it was written by someone with very little understanding of the topic.

All I'm saying is, if it does turn out that Switch is Maxwell Tegra rather than Pascal Tegra, I don't think that's a problem.

Agree, of course that Pascal would be better choice because it's more efficient, but at end it won't be big difference even its Maxwell, especially if we know that is custom Tegra chip.

Around the Network

I always assumed it was Maxwell architecture due to the dev kits that Eurogamer described. If it's Pascal, then that's the surprise.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

this is very believable considering the price, which is a very bad thing if you ask me, I'd prefer to pay a bit more and get an up-to-date hardware (and the games the Switch is likely to miss)

I'm still fine as long as it's close to XboxOne, which we'll know for sure in less than a month

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

The environment quality in the recent Zelda footage is an excellent indicator of how powerful the system will be.
Namely, it wasn't much to look at.

mutantsushi said:
bunchanumbers said:
I don't see the issue. It was always going to be weak compared to Xbox One and PS4. I think claims of 1TF performance is a serious stretch. I think its real world numbers will have it around 500gflops which puts it at a few times more powerful than Wii U.

Seriously I think its the best we can hope for but sacrifices had to be made for the form factor.

Wait... A last-gen GPU architecture is "best you can hope for"?  A last-gen fab node is "best you can hope for"?
I mean, I was clear in my last post, out powering full consoles is not 100% realistic, 
but using best architecture/fab possible gets you the best possible, why would you not hope for that?

Yes. Considering this is Nintendo this is the best we could hope for. Nintendo isn't going to go full modern. They are going to go with cheap. When has Nintendo ever went state of the art? Maybe N64? This is the best case scenario. Nintendo and power doesn't go together anymore. Its time to accept that. 

Around the Network
Sh1nn said:

GamesBeat has confirmed from two sources (who don’t want to be identified) that the Switch’s graphics are based on Nvidia’s older Maxwell architecture, not the new Pascal graphics technology that the chipmaker introduced earlier this year. The semi-custom Nvidia Tegra processor in the machine is still powerful enough to play typical Nintendo cartoon-style games (like the Mario series), but don’t expect the highest-end games we’re seeing on the PS4 or Xbox One to run on the Switch.

This may be OK, and the Switch’s high-definition visuals may still be satisfying to a lot of gamers, who will also appreciate its dual purpose of being played in the home as a console and on the run as a portable system. But the Kyoto-based Japanese company was in such a rush to replace its failing Wii U that it couldn’t wait for the updated Pascal version of the graphics technology, sources told us. This means that the Switch doesn’t have as much visual horsepower as the PS4 when played on a television, and it may not be able to handle 4K graphics, either. If Nintendo had waited for Pascal, it would have had to push back the launch date of the Switch. We’re not so sure if the Switch is weaker than the Xbox One, as the performance may be close.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/14/nintendo-switch-specs-less-powerful-than-playstation-4/

You could change text in OP because article is edited and that includes almost all text from OP.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/14/nintendo-switch-specs-less-powerful-than-playstation-4/

Just for record, almost all text from OP is edited in article.

Just to clarify, Pascal is not just a shrink of Maxwell with better delta color compression.

Asynchronous concurrent compute is improved:

as well as Fined-Grained Preemption.

For more info Anadtech goes indepth on Pascal architecture:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/9

Just wanna explain to everyone about this different gigaflops numbers people are spewing.

Maxwell tegra chip has 512 gigaflops when calculating with fp32 and 1024 gigaflops with fp16. Using the FP16 number is just a bullshit marketing term that has been started going around.

If you use fp16 u can do the same for xbone and ps4 and just double their numbers. As mark cerny did in a eurogamer interview where he said ps4 pro can have 8,4 teraflops in fp16.

So in short maxwell tegra soc has 512 gigaflops and pascal has 750. If you don't believe me go this link and check under GFLOPS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_X1

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

This makes it sound like its a Tegra X1 inside there right? not a X2.

That would also point to a 512 (Fp32) /1024 (Fp16) Gflop machine wouldnt it? unless Nvidia did a semi custom model?