By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture not Pascal

torok said:

Just go for an aggressive 175 bucks price point. It's feasible.

That would be crazy!

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
if this rumour turns out to be true then brace for disappointment in many fronts, processing power, energy efficiency and even cost.

older chips in bigger sizes don't go down in price as time goes by so much as using current tech.

bigger sized chip means higher TDP which is killer for a handheld, so expect the battery not lasting as long as it would under Pascal.

the amount of crow that should be eaten will be monumental considering the claims some diehard fans had this past summer. I will be shocked if Nintendo actually is serious about going Maxwell, that's way too dumb even for their usual hardware standards

Only real brownback is energy efficiency, don't forget that Nintendo is using custom Tegra chip in any case, also we don't have enough info to make conclusion, maybe Switch will have custom Tegra Maxwell chip at 16 nm, and whole article is a mess, its several times edited and person who wrote doesnt sounds like he understand half of things that he wrote.

Article saying that Nintendo is going for Maxwell chip simple because Pascal Tegra chip cant be done on time. I dont see how can that be dumb, especially if we know that Wii U and Wii they used tech thats around 5 years old, while Tegra Maxwell is last years tech.

torok said:
spemanig said:

"We’re not so sure if the Switch is weaker than the Xbox One, as the performance may be close.

It's not, they are wrong. The Pascal variant wouldn't reach X1, the Maxwell one will be closer to half X1's power. I don't like to use flops as argument, but Pascal Tegra is 750 Gflops and Maxwell Tegra is 512 Gflops. When translating this to X1 equivalent performance, it's probably even weaker.

I don't think this will have a lot of influence in how it succeds. The 3rd party support would be limited anyway, better to go with the cheaper SoC than try to make publishers happy. Just go for an aggressive 175 bucks price point. It's feasible.

$175!? Really!?

There is no single change that Switch will have that price, people from some reason forgetting that New 3DS XL is still selling solid at price of $199, Switch will most likely have price point of $249/299 like rumours are saying.

I can see Nintendo going for the cheaper option, but Nvidia would be the one pushing for the newest hardware iteration.

The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

"Top-performing" should truthfully only refer to Pascal 16nm.

Miyamotoo said:
setsunatenshi said:
if this rumour turns out to be true then brace for disappointment in many fronts, processing power, energy efficiency and even cost.

older chips in bigger sizes don't go down in price as time goes by so much as using current tech.

bigger sized chip means higher TDP which is killer for a handheld, so expect the battery not lasting as long as it would under Pascal.

the amount of crow that should be eaten will be monumental considering the claims some diehard fans had this past summer. I will be shocked if Nintendo actually is serious about going Maxwell, that's way too dumb even for their usual hardware standards

Only real brownback is energy efficiency, don't forget that Nintendo is using custom Tegra chip in any case, also we don't have enough info to make conclusion, maybe Switch will have custom Tegra Maxwell chip at 16 nm, and whole article is a mess, its several times edited and person who wrote doesnt sounds like he understand half of things that he wrote.

Article saying that Nintendo is going for Maxwell chip simple because Pascal Tegra chip cant be done on time. I dont see how can that be dumb, especially if we know that Wii U and Wii they used tech thats around 5 years old, while Tegra Maxwell is last years tech.

There is no Maxwell at 16nm, what are you talking about? Pascal is at 16nm. Of course we don't have enough info, all of this is a rumour and that's all we're commenting on. If reality kicks in and shows actually they are using Pascal, then good. Then we can point at the 750GFlops figure that we've been on with... otherwise we're talking 500GFlops max which makes it pretty acceptable for a portable, but nowhere near the ballpark of the other consoles. Adding to the fact the next gen will be coming before Nintendo is able to release a new console to compete.

Basically it means, another generation without multiplatform titles unfortunately...

It could still be Pascal and still be weaker than an X1. It could be Maxwell and stll be stronger than an X1. Lets wait and see.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
FunFan said:
It could still be Pascal and still be weaker than an X1. It could be Maxwell and stll be stronger than an X1. Lets wait and see.

That is insane and delusional lol

People believe Nintendo has some reality altering magic powers that allow for a phablet sized hardware (with a screen included) to include some old architecture that somehow manages to outperform a highly optimized piece of kit that is the size of what... 4 or 5 switches glued together...

setsunatenshi said:
Miyamotoo said:

There is no Maxwell at 16nm, what are you talking about? Pascal is at 16nm. Of course we don't have enough info, all of this is a rumour and that's all we're commenting on. If reality kicks in and shows actually they are using Pascal, then good. Then we can point at the 750GFlops figure that we've been on with... otherwise we're talking 500GFlops max which makes it pretty acceptable for a portable, but nowhere near the ballpark of the other consoles. Adding to the fact the next gen will be coming before Nintendo is able to release a new console to compete.

Basically it means, another generation without multiplatform titles unfortunately...

Offcourse there isnt, but Switch is using custom Tegra chip, maybe Nvidia made them 16nm Maxwell Tegra chip.

Even Tegra Maxwell is very new and modern tech/hardware with support for all modern engines and techs, so evre PS4/XB1 port could be done for Switch, so fact that Switch is less powerfule than PS4 doesnt means that Switch want have multiplatform titles.

setsunatenshi said:
FunFan said:

That is insane and delusional lol

People believe Nintendo has some reality altering magic powers that allow for a phablet sized hardware (with a screen included) to include some old architecture that somehow manages to outperform a highly optimized piece of kit that is the size of what... 4 or 5 switches glued together...

September 2014

That is when the Maxwell architechture first GPU launched. That is two years to make improvements on a custom chip based on it. Of course that's only if the chip is not just an X1, but that's obvious. It all comes down to how custom it is and how it was customized. Besides, these off-the-shelf GPUs have a bit of silicon unnessesarily  dedicated to speeding up production programs like photoshop and Avid.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Miyamotoo said:

$175!? Really!?

There is no single change that Switch will have that price, people from some reason forgetting that New 3DS XL is still selling solid at price of $199, Switch will most likely have price point of $249/299 like rumours are saying.

I don't think they will do it, but they surelly can. A Shield tablet costs 199 bucks. It's sold at a larger profit margin than consoles (since it has to break even without any game) and packs a more expensive 1080p screen. The Tegra X1 is a 2 year-old tech. If they plan to rip peoples wallet and be greedy with a 300 bucks pricing, they are preparing a new Wii U.

US$ 200 with a really good profit is possible. 50 bucks more for the versin that packs a dock. 175 if they are trying to make a big noise. Why would this cost 250 to 300? It uses an outdated SoC, relatively low resolution screen, simple construction. Do they need a 60 bucks profit margin per unit? At that price point, this would flop hard.

They are basically repackaging the Shield tablet, for god's sake. It even looks eeringly similar. I'm not saying they will sell it for US$ 200. I'm saying they could do it confortably. If they are planning to replace the 3DS with a 300 bucks portable, they are going to have a hard time. They shouldn't even launch it at 250 because that's basically the price of a Slim PS4 with a game packed-in. It has a much larger library and 3rd party support, at least beat its pricing to have a fighting chance.

Miyamotoo said:
setsunatenshi said:

Offcourse there isnt, but Switch is using custom Tegra chip, maybe Nvidia made them 16nm Maxwell Tegra chip.

Even Tegra Maxwell is very new and modern tech/hardware with support for all modern engines and techs, so evre PS4/XB1 port could be done for Switch, so fact that Switch is less powerfule than PS4 doesnt means that Switch want have multiplatform titles.

Sure it will have some multiplatform titles, the same way there are some titles that are crossplay between the PS4 and the Vita. Meaning, smaller, less resource intensive games. Don't expect any major AAA crossover though, especially not going forward when even the vanilla PS4 starts chugging a bit on newer titles compared to the Pro version.

That is something I totally expected though since there was this notion of the so called NX being a 'hybrid' console. I suspect it will be a really cool portable though.