By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sony Dismisses Sony Pictures and PlayStation Merger Rumours

kowenicki said:
Teeqoz said:

But do you think they'll find a seller willing to pay a good enough price to make it worth it, due to those exact reasons you just listed?

Buyer?  Just close them or spin them off and let them live or die as they pretty much have with TV.  If sony mobile was totally stand alone it would close wihin a year.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
kowenicki said:

Buyer?  Just close them or spin them off and let them live or die as they pretty much have with TV.  If sony mobile was totally stand alone it would close wihin a year.

That's just for Q4.... You left out that they lost 600 million USD in the full year lol.

Teeqoz said:
Ruler said:

That's just for Q4.... You left out that they lost 600 million USD in the full year lol.

proof?

Ruler said:
Teeqoz said:

proof?

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q4_sonypre.pdf

Scroll down to page 3 (page numbers are in the bottom right corner), all figures are in Billion Yen unless stated otherwise so you have to convert them to USD.

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:

Yeah people forget how big the potential for movies is.  Gaming may be dominating now but that doesn't mean it will always be bigger than movies. 

The way sony pictures is being run now it means exaclty that.  Its a bit of a mess to say the least.

Definitely badly run.  Could easily be turned around but the way it's been run you never know.  They're lucky Playstation has picked up the slack. 

Around the Network

I hope they do combine them. Its a good way to hide a piece of the business that isn't doing so hot. Its like when they tied in Vita numbers with PSP and PS3 numbers.

bunchanumbers said:
I hope they do combine them. Its a good way to hide a piece of the business that isn't doing so hot. Its like when they tied in Vita numbers with PSP and PS3 numbers.

I think you are misguided about which state Sony Pictures actually are in financially...

binary solo said:

The trouble with casting Schumer as Barbie is that while ideologically it is a good idea in the abstract, financially it is a bad idea. And possibly ideologically ineffective in practice.

Are young girls going to go watch this movie? Probably not in big enough numbers to make the movie successful, and just like the Ghostbusters financial bomb (because it wasn't a good movie, not because it was dominated by vaginas), having this movie be a flop hurts whatever cause the producers think is being championed with this movie. If the target audience for this is young girls, then this relies too much on "red state" families sending or taking their girls to the movie, which they won't do simply for the fact that red state media are already dismissing this as SJW PC manipulation of beloved cultural icons. So people are already innoculated against it.

When a movie already only appeals to 50% of the population (because let's face it even if the movie was brilliant and universally praised, it would still be a 90% female audience), it can't afford to piss off the "red state" demographic of that audience.

A proper Amy Schumer Barbie movie would be an R-rated comedy where Barbie is now a replaced, washed up has been, who is swearing, drinking and sleeping her way around town to cope with her rejection and fall from grace.  

Also, the timing is just wrong now they're in Trump's America.

Lol. I didn't know Barbie was caught in a war against SJWs. Ghostbusters... I understand, men turned out to be strongly attached to that "classic". But Barbie? Who the hell cares.

As for Amy, I only know her from "Trainwreck" that I have yet to watch (been on my watchlist for a while), and those youtube thumbnails that I never click on. I might as well watch the movie later tonight to know she's about, I also hear it's a very good movie, we'll see.

Teeqoz said:
bunchanumbers said:

I think you are misguided about which state Sony Pictures actually are in financially...

So they had a bad couple of years. They can easily turn it around with a couple good movies. Problem is that they are pulling out stuff like Pixels, Ghostbusters, The Barbie Movie etc.

bunchanumbers said:
Teeqoz said:

So they had a bad couple of years. They can easily turn it around with a couple good movies. Problem is that they are pulling out stuff like Pixels, Ghostbusters, The Barbie Movie etc.

No, I mean that they aren't in a rough shape financially at all.