By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sony Dismisses Sony Pictures and PlayStation Merger Rumours

kowenicki said:
Darwinianevolution said:
What? Whas that a thing? Why would Sony merge one of its most important divissions with one that keeps struggling to find continued success year after year?

Operating Income. Gaming first and Pictures second.

2011     29.3     34.1

2012       1.7     47.8

2013      -18.8   51.6    

2014     48.1     58.5

2015     88.7     38.5

Yeah people forget how big the potential for movies is.  Gaming may be dominating now but that doesn't mean it will always be bigger than movies. 

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
LurkerJ said:

I am pretty sure it's not gonna be the type of movie with steamy scenes in which men get to ogle. It's obviously not targeting that demographic. Probaby a timid version of mean girls, clueless or frozen.

Actually, watch Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse on Netflix... SERIOUSLY.  My daughter begged me to let her watch it, and when she did, she was disgusted in confusion.  The series made fun of itself on an adult intellect level of humor with references to pop culture such as the original Star Trek, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the original Planet of the Apes that a young girl today wouldn't understand without proper exposure.  In fact, mywife and I found it to be one of the more amusing programs on Netflix.  Barbie was NEVER about self-esteem, it was all about fantasy like most toys.  if anyone gets their feelings hurt over an unrealistic molded piece of polymer in which to my understanding is what this upcoming movie is about, you need to get your head out of your ass and get a life.

I didn't know there were other Barbie movies. Not watching the new or the old anyway, not saying they can't be good, but I have a long list of movies I actually want to watch. I don't understand what the rest of your post is about.

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:

Yeah people forget how big the potential for movies is.  Gaming may be dominating now but that doesn't mean it will always be bigger than movies. 

The way sony pictures is being run now it means exaclty that.  Its a bit of a mess to say the least.

Should Sony have listened to Daniel Loeb's call to spin-off or sell Sony Pictures when he bought a lot of stock?

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:

The way sony pictures is being run now it means exaclty that.  Its a bit of a mess to say the least.

We have yet to see the effects of the new management, so I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement on the current management situation. I think Tom Rothman can turn things around after the godawful job Amy Pascal did, though it ofcourse remains to be seen, however just the deal Sony did with Marvel about Spiderman is probably one of the best moves Sony Pictures did in years so I'd write that down as a win. I don't however think their outlook is as grim as you paint it out to be. Their lower-budget movies are doing pretty good, both quality wise and commercially, and their non-film divisions are doing better than ever. The only arena they've been struggling in is the box-office of their big-budget movies. They are not in huge trouble that can't be rectified without too much trouble.

Also here's what the new executive has to say himself.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/nearing-20-month-mark-sonys-tom-rothman-talks-progress-at-changing-movie-studio-1201831269/

kowenicki said:
Aura7541 said:

Should Sony have listened to Daniel Loeb's call to spin-off or sell Sony Pictures when he bought a lot of stock?

Not in my opinion no.

They should have closed their mobile and TV divisions along with Vaio.  Actually they could have ditched all consumer electronics for me aside from PS.

They should have, probably, but should they still?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Teeqoz said:

They should have, probably, but should they still?

Vaio is gone, Mobile without a doubt should follow immeditaly. The opportunity cost of consumer electronics probably makes it not worth bothering with and ultimately I dont see how they will be able to compete in that space with the Koreans, Chinese and others.

But do you think they'll find a seller willing to pay a good enough price to make it worth it, due to those exact reasons you just listed?

Darwinianevolution said:
kowenicki said:

Operating Income. Gaming first and Pictures second.

2011     29.3     34.1

2012       1.7     47.8

2013      -18.8   51.6    

2014     48.1     58.5

2015     88.7     38.5

To be fair, those  years were the end of the PS3 and PSP lifecycle and the developement and release of both Vita and PS4. Soooo... :P

I don't know, after the failure of the Spiderman Reboot movies, the amount of reboots they do and specially the PR dissaster that was the Ghostbuster movies, I don't see how Sony Pictures can be considered anything but unstable. What was the last big solid hit Sony Pictures got, both critically and finantially?

But they weren't financial failures. Both movies made over $700 million globally, according to some sources ASM2 made $70 million in net profit, not huge, but not a failure. And now they are in partnership with the MCU. So Spider Man is looking pretty solid.

Actually I would say The James Bond franchise is the uncertain cash cow at this point. I felt Spectre was a rather phoned in movie, and bringing on a new actor for Bond is always a risk.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

kowenicki said:
Teeqoz said:

But do you think they'll find a seller willing to pay a good enough price to make it worth it, due to those exact reasons you just listed?

Buyer?  Just close them or spin them off and let them live or die as they pretty much have with TV.  If sony mobile was totally stand alone it would close wihin a year.

Okay, what you are saying now is sorta different from what you said in the comment I originally replied to (or maybe I misunderstood what you meant in the first place), so I don't see a need for me to reply anymore. Nice to get it clarified anyways.

LurkerJ said:
LivingMetal said:

I'd rather see a BBW Barbie over Schumer ANYDAY.  That's the point.

I am pretty sure it's not gonna be the type of movie with steamy scenes in which men get to ogle. It's obviously not targeting that demographic. Probaby a timid version of mean girls, clueless or frozen.

The trouble with casting Schumer as Barbie is that while ideologically it is a good idea in the abstract, financially it is a bad idea. And possibly ideologically ineffective in practice.

Are young girls going to go watch this movie? Probably not in big enough numbers to make the movie successful, and just like the Ghostbusters financial bomb (because it wasn't a good movie, not because it was dominated by vaginas), having this movie be a flop hurts whatever cause the producers think is being championed with this movie. If the target audience for this is young girls, then this relies too much on "red state" families sending or taking their girls to the movie, which they won't do simply for the fact that red state media are already dismissing this as SJW PC manipulation of beloved cultural icons. So people are already innoculated against it.

When a movie already only appeals to 50% of the population (because let's face it even if the movie was brilliant and universally praised, it would still be a 90% female audience), it can't afford to piss off the "red state" demographic of that audience.

A proper Amy Schumer Barbie movie would be an R-rated comedy where Barbie is now a replaced, washed up has been, who is swearing, drinking and sleeping her way around town to cope with her rejection and fall from grace.  

Also, the timing is just wrong now they're in Trump's America.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
LurkerJ said:

The trouble with casting Schumer as Barbie is that while ideologically it is a good idea in the abstract, financially it is a bad idea. And possibly ideologically ineffective in practice.

Are young girls going to go watch this movie? Probably not in big enough numbers to make the movie successful, and just like the Ghostbusters financial bomb (because it wasn't a good movie, not because it was dominated by vaginas), having this movie be a flop hurts whatever cause the producers think is being championed with this movie. If the target audience for this is young girls, then this relies too much on "red state" families sending or taking their girls to the movie, which they won't do simply for the fact that red state media are already dismissing this as SJW PC manipulation of beloved cultural icons. So people are already innoculated against it.

When a movie already only appeals to 50% of the population (because let's face it even if the movie was brilliant and universally praised, it would still be a 90% female audience), it can't afford to piss off the "red state" demographic of that audience.

A proper Amy Schumer Barbie movie would be an R-rated comedy where Barbie is now a replaced, washed up has been, who is swearing, drinking and sleeping her way around town to cope with her rejection and fall from grace.  

Also, the timing is just wrong now they're in Trump's America.

Art imitates reality?