By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware estimates in the OP!

tak13 said:
Kerotan said:

Lol the Switch was just announced.  You'd years of terrible NPD results since ps4/xb1 released in 2013. It's been a shocking time for Nintendo fans who like sales.  Gone from first place last gen to last place this gen while handheld sales are massively declined gen over gen. 

That's fairly inflammatory... You might be somewhat right, but your way is provocative and pejorative. You're usually discreet in that kind of posts, I'm surprised.

Sometimes I wish ds+wii wouldn't be such huge success, to not see these kind of  posts due to their inevitable dwindling.

Oh, now you know how we feel? Yeah but declined to a decent level, trust me, we're satisfied with 3ds sales, back to gba levels! Only those who considered ds a normal seller must be dissappointed.

Currently, we're very pleasured to see Nintendo mobile games venture boosting their handheld console sales.  

By the way, is  it a shocking time for you because of psv perfomance? Do you remember it, or only ps4 exists for you? ( Payback )

Also, I am somewhat vexed  with you because that I haven't seen you talking about the playstation equivalent of ds->3ds, PS2->PS3 but instead you exult about how much near its sales were to the 7th gen market leader...  What I should think of this...? 

P.s 3DS sales were very high, especially for its 6th year,  in November...

Lol the taunts aren't going to work.  I ain't gonna bite. 

I find it ironic you laughed at me saying how Nintendo fans feel and then go onto claim you know how Nintendo fans feel.  

I tell you right now,  nobody is happy both the Wii U and 3DS have seen massive drops.  3DS will drop over 70m.  Wii U about 83m. 

Meanwhile ps4 will be nicely up on ps3. Probably 30m. Vita will probably end about 68m down on psp.  

Sony will see a net drop of around 30m. Nintendo will see a net drop of around 150m. I know which ship I'd rather be on.  And I'm very happy to be on it. 

Around the Network
pastro243 said:
Can someone explain to me what are the odds of ps4 having it's best BF period in PlayStation history (is that official? How much would it be?) and yet sell "only" a million in the us?

I mean, would that mean the rest of the month it was dead or something? Some sales were moved to december npd totals?

I'm starting to think that this Black Friday is not representative at all of how good or bad Sony did this month. For one, Black Friday didn't really apply to anyone looking at Ps4 pro as there were no official bundles or price cuts, and the only deals to be had were from target where the entire store was 20% off and then Amazon who briefly price matched. Neither was advertised by Sony Amazon or Target. So again, the focus this Black Friday would have been on both slim consoles which actually had official deals with advertising. Next, we know that the Pro launched on November 10th. Obviously the week surrounding this would have been at least slightly front loaded as it is with all console launches but would it also be reasonable to assume that anyone looking for a Pro might've stayed home with the rest of the Americans that didn't want anything to do with Black Friday? Again, not really any incentive as there were no official deals or bundles. So with that being said, the overwhelming majority of sales would've come from the slim model. If that sounds reasonable then we'd have to consider how many slim sales were cannibalized from the release of the pro which, according to Sony has been a surprising amount. Slim sales would and will be down compared to the OG PS4 launch aligned, but overall the PlayStation brand will be up YoY as there is now a new tier of performance which splits up the SKU configurations to choose from. In other words, Sony might have "only" sold 1.1 million on Black Friday but it was largely the slim... We only have half the picture. Look at the entire week and already we know it's the biggest week ever for them. Everyone says that the focus on the holidays is shifting more and more to Bf but it sort of appears like its focusing more so on Black Friday WEEK. Cyber Monday, pre Black Friday starting up to 3 days early for many stores... 

The thing is the sales were probably spread all around and the Pro has no business participating in this event this year. We also know that the ONLY day reported by windowscentral is for Black Friday and only Black Friday. It's not an accurate snapshot of what's really going on and whether or not they've intentionally been misleading is up in the air but there have been factors at play here that I myself at least hadn't really been thinking about, but start to paint a different picture when you think about it. I don't think Sony is worried. I don't think PlayStation will be even remotely down YOY for the month. I think they were only down YOY for Black Friday, that single day, and I think their sales were spread out more evenly over the week as well as the Pro hitting big just the previous two weeks. The real question is

how did PS4 Slim outsell the Xbox slim when the ps4 had competition from itself in the form of the pro some weeks earlier while the Xbox had no alternative model to sell? Consider that they supposedly just got outsold by 100k despite Sony having two separate models on Black Friday, one that shared the same discounts as Xbox and one that largely remained the same in price.

Kerotan said:

Lol the taunts aren't going to work.  I ain't gonna bite. 

I find it ironic you laughed at me saying how Nintendo fans feel and then go onto claim you know how Nintendo fans feel.  

I tell you right now,  nobody is happy both the Wii U and 3DS have seen massive drops.  3DS will drop over 70m.  Wii U about 83m. 

Meanwhile ps4 will be nicely up on ps3. Probably 30m. Vita will probably end about 68m down on psp.  

Sony will see a net drop of around 30m. Nintendo will see a net drop of around 150m. I know which ship I'd rather be on.  And I'm very happy to be on it. 

Thats a bad way of looking at HW sales. Ps4 is doing well, it could sell less than ps3 and still be miles ahead of what the company wants.

Your looking at it at units only. No offense but 3ds did do well especially in its home country where when you look at the entire market as a whole.

Ps3 sold 90mil units right? So i guess sony must be more proud of that than psv measly 15mil or nintendo measly wiiu 15mil? Wrong as it lost them more money combined than wiiu/vita/GCN

You keep looking only at HW sales for wii/ds drops. Which is fine but it doesnt spell out the entire formula.

That said wiiu was a failure overall, in both units and profits (💰) but 3ds did alright for itself. Especially when every1 was claiming Handheld gaming died and its number 1 competitir couldnt even hold on (unfortunately)

Windows Central is not a good source imo, remember those guys saying Windows Phone would pick up and slow and steady wins the race and things like those lmao

Wait for real numbers from real sources, Windows Central is just bad.

Not saying there sources are wrong but don´t believe those guys even if they are correct, that site is pretty damn bad.

iNathan said:
Windows Central is not a good source imo, remember those guys saying Windows Phone would pick up and slow and steady wins the race and things like those lmao

Not saying there sources are wrong but don´t believe those guys even if they are correct, that site is pretty damn bad.

They correctly leaked stuff in the past tho. Guess we will see.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Around the Network
hudsoniscool said:
iNathan said:

They correctly leaked stuff in the past tho. Guess we will see.

Like?

iNathan said:

The author and the site are swearing up and down those are the real numbers. What seems fishy about it is why they would report something random like PSVR numbers in the article. I never remembered accessories being a part of any NPD leak. Anyway, since the press never leaks NPD numbers, somebody wanted this figure out there, and fast. Real or not.

There also the fact that Greenberg has retweeted it. Kinda validates it a bit. I believe they leaked Scorpio or the slim I don't remember which.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Bandorr said:
hudsoniscool said:
There also the fact that Greenberg has retweeted it. Kinda validates it a bit. I believe they leaked Scorpio or the slim I don't remember which.

He tweeted it, because he can't say. He can't say it because he doesn't have the numbers.

So you're saying windows central has the numbers.. but not xbox?

Microsoft would LOVE to say "at 100k difference the xbox one S did more for xbox in august, than all the sales, the biggest black friday, and the pro pre orders did for sony".

Thats not how it works.

Has Zhuge said anything about Windows Central's numbers? This is probably the best way to vet WC. Otherwise, we need to wait until January and hope that Aquamarine reopens her account...