By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware estimates in the OP!

gtjay1982 said:
What are the odds they aren't lying about having the numbers but only reporting the p4s sake versus the x1s sales. I've seen it happen even with people that have access to the data where they miss SKUs or add up things wrong.

I was thinking the same but the writer cited that xb1 was neck to neck with  PS4 despite pro model release or something like that...

Apropos, Jazen corden  persists... 

Around the Network
MikeG85 said:
The dudes at WC are legit...if they say its 100% true then I'm pretty certain its true and to think some people were saying that playstation was going to sell 2m.

Not great for either company...but a million consoles sold is still a million consoles sold.

Do we think this gen has already peaked ? or could this years black Friday just be a blip? and they both bounce back next year?

If the PS4 sales in november WW are better than they were last year, which from sony's "best BF in playstation history" pr release would suggest and it's total sales for 2016 are more than that of 2015. Then it hasn't peaked. 

If globally XB1 sales are lower this year than it was for November and the whole year is down compared to last year, then it has peaked. But even that is too early to call until we see what kinda effect scorpio will have in XB sales. 

now if worldwide PS4 sales are up YOY between 2016 and 2015 but down in NA, the real question is why? As for that, my theory is that back in September when the PS4s was released, especially considering it wasn't offerring more than being a slimmer PS4, it's price was still too high at $299. I've said it before, I don't think Sony is being as aggressive with pricing as they should be. Right now the PS4s should be no more than $250 with its fall season deals putting it at $200. 

MikeG85 said:
The dudes at WC are legit...if they say its 100% true then I'm pretty certain its true and to think some people were saying that playstation was going to sell 2m.

Not great for either company...but a million consoles sold is still a million consoles sold.

Do we think this gen has already peaked ? or could this years black Friday just be a blip? and they both bounce back next year?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=222125

People in this thread (over 150 votes including me) probably thought it would because of the Slim + Pro + VR. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

dam looks like these numbers are true after all
i think this gen will end soon
and both sony and ms will officially announce ps5 and xbox 2 in 2018 imo

Only a 100k gap is definitely disappointing and also only around 1 million for both consoles is even more disappointing.

Best Black Friday Period in PlayStation History, but it seems the USA was not to thank for that.

Around the Network
princevenom said:

These numbers don't mean that at all, sure they're not great, but PlayStation did have the best Black Friday Period in history globally. Underperforming third party games also likely contributed to the fall in numbers for both consoles. (Watch Dogs 2, Titanfall 2, Infinite Warfare).

PS5 won't launch before holiday 2019, and Xbox 2 being announced in 2018 after releasing Scorpio in Holiday 2017 is definitely not going to happen.

Even though we have to wait for jan for npd numbers. Looking at vgchartz weekly hardware numbers will give us a good indication if the rumor was a lie

princevenom said:

That would be the end of consoles. PS5 in 2018 would not even be able to double the power of the Pro. It would be the smallest leap in console history. New consoles can't come until 2019 at the earliest. That is the soonest 7nm chips will be available in mas scale. Even at that though I don't think tech will be ready for a new gen PS or Xbox. It is better to brand new devices as enhanced versions of the curent platform until the time comes when a true generational leap can occur. 

The best thing Sony and Microsoft could do going forward is release one final PS4 and XBO revision with around 10 - 12TF GPU's, and 16GB of RAM in 2020 with 7nm. Then when 3nm chips arrive in 2023 or 2024 they can deliver consoles with ~25TF, 128GB of on HBM RAM, and large SSD's. This would offer a full generational leap, and truly be a next gen console.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

The best thing Sony and Microsoft could do going forward is release one final PS4 and XBO revision with around 10 - 12TF GPU's, and 16GB of RAM in 2020 with 7nm. Then when 3nm chips arrive in 2023 or 2024 they can deliver consoles with ~25TF, 128GB of on HBM RAM, and large SSD's. This would offer a full generational leap, and truly be a next gen console.

Errr... no I don't think that's a good idea at all. 2020 Should be the start of the next generation at the latest, or they should just go full on iterative. It doesn't make sense to have a machine so much more powerful still be a "PS4".

Barkley said:
KBG29 said:

Errr... no I don't think that's a good idea at all. 2020 Should be the start of the next generation at the latest, or they should just go full on iterative. It doesn't make sense to have a machine so much more powerful still be a "PS4".

The thing is, it really isn't that much more powerful. All they will be able to do in 2020 is make a console that can play current PS4 and XBO games at full 4K without any compromise. They will be the same exact games, just PS4 would be 1080p, Pro would be 1440P Checkerboard, and the 2020 machine would be native 4K. It won't be until 2024ish with 3nm that they will be able to do games in 4K with enhancements that push them beyond what PS4 or XBO can handle.A big factor behind this is memory. 5400rpm HDD's can not deliver the data needs of more advanced 4K games, to go beyond PS4 and XBO the next consoles have to have SSD's. That again will not be feasible until 2024. Right now a 2TB SSD cost more than the PS4 Pro, and next gen consoles with a generational leap in graphics at 4K will require more than that.

I obviously have no idea what they will do going forward, but I do know the future of the chip industry, and looking at the raw data, there is no way a PS5 in 2018, 2019, or 2020 will be anywhere near what we have seen in the past. They may very well call them PS5 and XBOX ?, but they won't be the real deal. At that point they basically would just be itteritive , but misusing the next genn identifier to boost sales. I don't see that as a sustainable path. To me, it is better to be honest than to decieve, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL