By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: From Software Currently porting Dark Souls 3 to Nintendo Switch, Possibly Dark Souls Triology to Follow

Believe it when I see it. I'd buy.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Mummelmann said:

Ubisoft have said they have several Switch projects? What are these? Again, it's meaningless information, it could be anything, for better or for worse, and given Ubisoft's treatment of Nintendo platforms in the last 10 years or more, it's more than likely to be for the worse.

Again with the list of partners, it's a useless tidbit they've thrown out to cause hype, but it holds absolutely nothing by way of useful information. A list of names tells us nothing. From Software and Bethesda are talking about porting one game each, a 1 year old and a 5 year old port respectively, and the former is even just a rumor. This does in no way suggest that either studio is "on board" with the Switch, it sounds more very, very careful testing of the waters, which is better than nothing, granted.

Look, once again, I'm not trying to be evil or make anyone feel bad, but look at Nintendo's relation with 3rd parties over the decades and look at the big picture, words spoken versus action taken and try to take it with a grain of salt. We need actual, tangible information, dedications and confirmation of actual big efforts from the studios on this proverbial list for it to mean anything. For now, we are all Jon Snow, and know nothing.

For now, Just Dance 2017, Mario and Rabbids, and Beyond of Good and Evil.

Like I wrote, you missing a point, fact is that all around Switch is way more postive than it was for Wii U, even that list of partners and supporters is bigger than Wii Us list. Fact that Switch has Bethesda and From Software on board is very positive for Switch, Wii U didnt had them or any previous Nintendo platform.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still just rumored to be on Switch, and said to release in summer 2018, that's almost 1.5 years after the Switch launches. We really don't know exactly what's happening with this title, the only confirmed info is that it's in pre-production as of October 2016. And even if it should turn out to be a Switch exclusive; the first one actually sold pretty poorly on PS2, I believe it sold less than 500k lifetime, so it's not an earth shattering title by any stretch of the imagination, one can liken it to the extreme hype surrounding Bayonetta 2 where many people seemed to believe that it would actually make a big difference in the Wii U's fate and overall sales, it was always part of the "list of redemption" in here.
Just Dance, which I already mentioned in another post (as an example of poor support at this point in time), the series that was crazy popular on Wii but has ever since lost almost all relevance, this is surely not a sign of commitment from any developer. Mario and Rabbids? Again, a fairly popular series on Wii, and to a lesser extent on the DS, but it has just outright died in the 8th gen with the best-selling 3DS game sitting at less than 400k.

So, we have one rumored title, which will be of little consequence even if it does release and is exclusive to this platform, one dancing game which has lost almost all relevance, and a Rabbid game, a franchise that is more or less dead. If this is the extent of the "partners" for Switch and their efforts, it's becoming really, really hard to defeat my arguments. Where is Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rayman (actually sold 1 million on PS4 recently and did pretty well on Wii U), any Tom Clancy title? Those are the big franchises, Ubi's face in the industry, and all seemingly not going to the Switch, that's a lack of support from where I'm sitting, all the Just Dance's and Rabbids and rumors be damned.

"Like I wrote, you missing a point, fact is that all around Switch is way more postive than it was for Wii U, even that list of partners and supporters is bigger than Wii Us list."

I'm not missing your point, I'm saying there is no point to be made, this list is useless on its own, above where you try to give me examples, one can clearly see this. There appears to be a severe lack of commitment and a rumored 1 year old port and a confirmed 5 year old port is not signs of major studios being "on board", it's the epitome of safing it and dipping your toe in to test the waters. A lot of support was promised to the Wii and Wii U as well and never came around, this list will become short really quickly if market realities strike again, it is in no way, shape or form a huge sign of commitment, for now it can be treated as a list showing "developers who will probably release something on the platform during its lifetime", which is a really vague and elusive thingt to use as a springboard into a shower of anticipation. Remember Call of Duty Reflex on Wii? Hey, Activision put their biggest franchise on the Wii, those were jolly good times, right? This could very well be exactly that. I'm a member of the church but I don't believe in god and I never go there unless I have to, but I'm still on the members list, without being devoted, imagine that.
Also, being a lot more positively mentioned than the Wii U doesn't really mean much either, both consumers and developers still have to prove that things will be set in motion, it's all talk. Remember all the amazing buzz about the PS3 before they officially unveiled the crazy price? It was set to destroy Nintendo and MS, it had amazing trailers and it was a done deal already, so much positive buzz!

So, we have positive buzz, some rumors, one confirmed 5 year old port from a major studio, two games from essentially dead franchises from another major studio and a list of names. And this info leads you to the conclusion that I'm the one missing the point when I'm asking people to remain somewhat skeptical before we have more tangible info on the table? One could easily make a case for why you're being overly and prematurely optimistic in this case, and that's actually what I'm doing here.

Mummelmann said:
Miyamotoo said:

For now, Just Dance 2017, Mario and Rabbids, and Beyond of Good and Evil.

Like I wrote, you missing a point, fact is that all around Switch is way more postive than it was for Wii U, even that list of partners and supporters is bigger than Wii Us list. Fact that Switch has Bethesda and From Software on board is very positive for Switch, Wii U didnt had them or any previous Nintendo platform.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still just rumored to be on Switch, and said to release in summer 2018, that's almost 1.5 years after the Switch launches. We really don't know exactly what's happening with this title, the only confirmed info is that it's in pre-production as of October 2016. And even if it should turn out to be a Switch exclusive; the first one actually sold pretty poorly on PS2, I believe it sold less than 500k lifetime, so it's not an earth shattering title by any stretch of the imagination, one can liken it to the extreme hype surrounding Bayonetta 2 where many people seemed to believe that it would actually make a big difference in the Wii U's fate and overall sales, it was always part of the "list of redemption" in here.
Just Dance, which I already mentioned in another post (as an example of poor support at this point in time), the series that was crazy popular on Wii but has ever since lost almost all relevance, this is surely not a sign of commitment from any developer. Mario and Rabbids? Again, a fairly popular series on Wii, and to a lesser extent on the DS, but it has just outright died in the 8th gen with the best-selling 3DS game sitting at less than 400k.

So, we have one rumored title, which will be of little consequence even if it does release and is exclusive to this platform, one dancing game which has lost almost all relevance, and a Rabbid game, a franchise that is more or less dead. If this is the extent of the "partners" for Switch and their efforts, it's becoming really, really hard to defeat my arguments. Where is Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rayman (actually sold 1 million on PS4 recently and did pretty well on Wii U), any Tom Clancy title? Those are the big franchises, Ubi's face in the industry, and all seemingly not going to the Switch, that's a lack of support from where I'm sitting, all the Just Dance's and Rabbids and rumors be damned.

"Like I wrote, you missing a point, fact is that all around Switch is way more postive than it was for Wii U, even that list of partners and supporters is bigger than Wii Us list."

I'm not missing your point, I'm saying there is no point to be made, this list is useless on its own, above where you try to give me examples, one can clearly see this. There appears to be a severe lack of commitment and a rumored 1 year old port and a confirmed 5 year old port is not signs of major studios being "on board", it's the epitome of safing it and dipping your toe in to test the waters. A lot of support was promised to the Wii and Wii U as well and never came around, this list will become short really quickly if market realities strike again, it is in no way, shape or form a huge sign of commitment, for now it can be treated as a list showing "developers who will probably release something on the platform during its lifetime", which is a really vague and elusive thingt to use as a springboard into a shower of anticipation. Remember Call of Duty Reflex on Wii? Hey, Activision put their biggest franchise on the Wii, those were jolly good times, right? This could very well be exactly that. I'm a member of the church but I don't believe in god and I never go there unless I have to, but I'm still on the members list, without being devoted, imagine that.
Also, being a lot more positively mentioned than the Wii U doesn't really mean much either, both consumers and developers still have to prove that things will be set in motion, it's all talk. Remember all the amazing buzz about the PS3 before they officially unveiled the crazy price? It was set to destroy Nintendo and MS, it had amazing trailers and it was a done deal already, so much positive buzz!

So, we have positive buzz, some rumors, one confirmed 5 year old port from a major studio, two games from essentially dead franchises from another major studio and a list of names. And this info leads you to the conclusion that I'm the one missing the point when I'm asking people to remain somewhat skeptical before we have more tangible info on the table? One could easily make a case for why you're being overly and prematurely optimistic in this case, and that's actually what I'm doing here.

Laura Kate Dale (thats was 100% accurate about NX/Switch so far) said that Good Beyond and Evil 2 is Switch exclusive.

Again, have everything more positive around Switch compared to Wii U is good thing, having on list of partners and supporters like Bethesda and From Software, is all more postitive compared to Wii U, having Bethesda game even Skyrim Remaster on Switch is way more positive for Switch than Wii U, point that From Software testing DS game for Switch is more positive than it was for Wii U. All developers who talked about Switch sound more positive and more exaited then they were for Switch.

So point is simple, for now everything about Switch looks and feels better and more positive that it was for Wii U and thats offcourse good thing.

Good news if true, but the DS games are not really my cup of tea.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wyrdness said:

Sales of all formats are down from 7th gen because the 7th gen itself was an anomaly because of the premature jump to HD as well as the blue ocean explosion which brought in tonnes of new gamers into the market. Gen 8 is simply the market normalizing as the gen's performance is in line with all other gen, the evidence you're citing isn't consumers looking elsewhere it's simply the market returning to it's usual size.

Why would handheld gamers want a hybrid? Because it gives them one unified library and access to the console offerings with out the need of having to go out and purchase another platform, the library output essentially increases. Your question about Nintendo games not being popular on tablets and such is odd because Pokemon Go highlighted the first party having strong effects on such devices, you ask why tech minded consumers would pick it over the competition because the competition already lack the portability feature who knows what else the platform does. The simple prospect of playing console like games such as Skyrim or even Dark Souls conveniently on the go in itself is a potential huge factor. Why would Wii U fans like the Switch? The same reason they bought any other Nintendo platform it's the only place to get the games they're after, who Switch is aimed at? Anyone who is a potential gamer in both home and portable gaming.

Wii U's mistake wasn't trying to appeal to different demographics far from it, the mistake was the overall handling of the platform, if you watch DYK Gaming's video of it you realize Nintendo weren't sure on what to do with it in the run up to release. This was because Nintendo were handling the platform based on what other entities were saying they should do and not doing their usual approach of doing their own thing, this lead to wayward pricing, consumer confusion and non existent marketing all of which were on top of the struggle of them developing for two separate gaming platforms. You can already see in the Switch the is a vast improvement, all you need for a reference is watch the Wii U reveal and then watch the Switch reveal, the difference is as clear as day in the handling.

Your point about the Wii is undermined because no developer back then even had talk for it, the platform's success took everyone by surprise, it's far more beneficial for developers to be on board early on to test the waters then miss thew gravy train after it has left the platform and try and catch up with it. At least if the platform doesn't take off it's far less costly to just continue on as normal then try and switch approaches to jump on a success you had no plans for.

Yes, the 7th gen was indeed an anomaly, but that causes a problem for your bits about Switch sales potential. If one treats the 7th gen, and therein the DS and Wii, as anomalies, one has to see the whole line of consoles in succession, and it becomes clear that when the anomaly is accounted for, the trend is that Nintendo have been losing more and more users in the home console space, the culmination being the Wii U with around 15 million lifetime sales.
Furthermore, if you look at the DS's best selling games and Wii's best selling games, you'll see quite a few of Nintendo's core franchises sold really well on these platforms, so the argument that Nintendo gamers will keep on buying Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games that they can't get elsewhere isn't a valid one seeing as the sales of the same franchises on 3DS and Wii U were much, much lower. So, a large part of the consumers who bought these franchises have simply stopped buying them at all, it's not just the blue ocean strategy at work, this is about something else; gamers are willing to change their habbits and go elsewhere. Alternately; these are all of them fringe consumers (highly unlikely) who bought the titles due to the massive exposure, in which case these aren't customers to rely on at any rate, the reasoning matters little when the end result is significantly less sales overall.

If we look further into the 7th gen as an anomaly, we can conclude that the vast majority of the expanded audience has gone elsewhere, it's also easy to discern that this consumer base was by far the most beneficial to Nintendo, it is therefore not a stretch to claim that without these, their sales outlooks are looking far, far worse. The PSP is also a part of this equation; it sold pretty well, over 80 million units, the Vita is set to sell well below one quarter that amount, what happened to these customers? Are they buying PS4's and One's in droves? Hardly, the sales figures don't really reflect that anyway (but they could be, who knows). Are they simply foregoing handheld gaming in favor of home consoles and most of them were owners of both a handheld and a home gaming system? Perhaps, then the trend is clear; the portable factor, especially for "big gaming", is near to non-existant as a purchasing incentive, which causes further headache for the Switch and its (apparent) plans.
Have some or many of these handheld owners in the 7th gen been fringe consumers who are easily swayed into "lower" forms of gaming? Then mobile, tablet and social gaming is where its at and another Vita-esque game catalogue won't change those habbits easily and reclaim these consumers.

Handheld consumers want a hybrid due to shared library? The DS didn't have that, yet it sold more than any other handheld in history, the Vita had "big games", the kind we usually see on home consoles, and has sold horribly despite this, handheld gamers, or the handheld part of multiplatform gamers, seem really disinterested in home gaming on the go if this is anything to go by, so a shared library is mostly for the developers' convenience.
I never asked why Nintendo games aren't popular on tablets and phones, I specifically said "Nintendo-like games", how many runaway hits on mobile and tablets play like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda? I'd like to say zero, controls are simplified, mechanics are made to suit 10 minute bus rides and, perhaps most importantly; everything is dirt cheap.
The same goes for the typical PS and Xbox games, gaming like this just isn't a factor in the mobile sector and the Switch is highly unlikely to change this. Games like Fallout or Skyrim on a 6 inch, 720 display with tiny attached controllers or even flailing motion controllers, on the go? No, just no, these are immersive titles that play sight and sound and player driven narratives that affect the whole experience in total, they were never made to be mobile or tablet games at all. But, hey, Bethesda like milk as much as any other developer, it seems.
One could make a case for Zelda games on handhelds, but the handheld versions are quite simplified and Zelda setting, narrative, visual style and overall feel was always easier to translate to smaller formats, and dedicated handhelds are a pretty big step up from mobile and tablet gaming.

Tech minded consumers will not want "big gaming" on a tiny 6 inch, 720p screen with tiny controllers, on the go. For them, the portable factor is probably the least relevant bit of gaming, these are people who have large, expensive TV's, sound systems and who generally spend more money than most on their hobbies. These are probably the shoe-in consumers for the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio, if they're gonna play console games. In other words; consider them a non-factor for the Swicth. The prospect of playing games like Skyrim and Dark Souls on the go is likely to be the worst idea the Switch has right now, big immersive AAA titles do not translate well to small displays with limited control options and poor sound, the 720p resolution in portable mode won't help either. I personally think this type of game will tank hard, or simply be played at home, which makes is very likely to be played on another platform to begin with.

Why would Wii U fans buy the Switch, because it's the only place to play Nintendo games, but as we already established; plenty of gamers seem fine with foregoing Nintendo games since the 7th gen, anomaly or not. Not to mention the smaller and smaller numbers since the NES disproving this line of reasoning easily, again discounting the anomaly you and I both agree on, the Wii U is the ultimate proof that this is backwards thinking. This idea that Nintendo fans will stick by their side through thick and thin is already showing cracks, a lot of Nintendo fans are really angry and feel like Nintendo have tumbled downhill for many years now, not giving what was promised and generally half-assing even their own concepts. They are also losing customers due to their insistence on staying behind on practically anything tech related as well as online features and gaming and digital distribution. Favoring cartridges or SD cards over bigger internal storage that gives the possiblity for more digital games? That's not terribly clever for the handheld bit, and buying your own storage for storing digital games is hardly fair, and won't be very well received in a market where both 500 and 1000GB of storage is becoming the norm. The seeming focus on the tablet bit could end up hampering the capabilities of the home gaming bit, with these things in mind, among others.

So they're aiming for both home console gamers and handheld gamers, like the Wii U aimed for core and casual gamers with their tablet controller. So one device is trying to cater to two or more different demographics, that's exactly what the Wii U tried and failed to accomplish.

The Switch seems more poised than the Wii U in almost every way though, but it has identity issues already. Nintendo insist on calling it a home gaming system, yet the teaser had heavy focus on portable elements, these portable scenarios were either poorly depicted or downright ridiculous (playing NBA multiplayer on an actual basketball court with several tiny screens and tiny controllers in hand), waving your arms around with motion controller Skyrim on an airplane, wearing cheap headphones and staring into a 6 inch display. They refuse to call it a hybrid and have not yet confirmed that it's the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS. So, it's a home gaming system with majority focus on portable aspects, yet it's not a hybrid or a handheld console, it didn't show a speck of online play or other features and chose instead to show young, hip proffessionals playing handheld games in completely ludicrous settings, no longer aiming at families or children (mostly ignoring "casuals", as it were). They seem almost to be aiming at the PS and Xbox crowd and believe they can lure them out into the sun with a handheld option for regular, home console gaming.

The Switch reveal is bipolar, it shows a home gaming system that is barely meant for home gaming, that's a slight marketing challenge from the beginning. But, yes, overall, the presentation is better than the Wii U, by a fair margin at that. The Wii U's main problem was the Gamepad, it sent signals that they wanted tablet gamers to join in, it had poor resolution, awkward button layout, poor battery time and couldn't even be bought separately so more than one gamer per console could use one, instead making them use Pro controllers or Wii-motes. So the local multiplayer machine that touted its controller as the second coming never actually allowed actual, local multiplayer with more than one person using said controller... They aimed at me and you and they aimed at kids playing their phones and tablets in bed or on the bus, and it failed in spectacular fashion.
As for the Wii's lack of support; that's a fair point, it was never expected to take off the way it did, but there should at least be some basis for support for the successor after a runaway hit and sweet words were spoken of the Wii U by developers, much like we're hearing about the Switch right now.

My one, overarching point in these bloated posts is simple; let's wait and see what actually happens and not go crazy over a list of names, some rumors and some fairly paltry fare from a couple of major studios for now. It's too early to tell. I for one, hope the Switch gets good support and sells a decent amount, even should I end up not getting one myself, I'm not fond of the idea of Nintendo leaving the consoles space as a hardware manufacturer, for several reasons.
I find it strange that several users are seemingly trying to appeal to my reason, when I see it as highly unreasonable to be this excited over rumors and a mostly worthless list of names and logos that tell us absolutely nothing about the actual level of support this platform will end up having.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Laura Kate Dale (thats was 100% accurate about NX/Switch so far) said that Good Beyond and Evil 2 is Switch exclusive.

Again, have everything more positive around Switch compared to Wii U is good thing, having on list of partners and supporters like Bethesda and From Software, is all more postitive compared to Wii U, having Bethesda game even Skyrim Remaster on Switch is way more positive for Switch than Wii U, point that From Software testing DS game for Switch is more positive than it was for Wii U. All developers who talked about Switch sound more positive and more exaited then they were for Switch.

So point is simple, for now everything about Switch looks and feels better and more positive that it was for Wii U and thats offcourse good thing.

The bit about Beyond Good and Evil 2; that might well turn out to be so, but my point in the previous post is that it's pretty much an irrelevant title at any rate, it's a sequel to what will be a 15 year old game in summer 2018 (it's claimed release window), that sold less than 500k on the most successful console in history.

You keep going in circles; "yes, but all this positive stuff is good". Positive stuff is positive, and that's that, it doesn't mean all that much without action. I've been telling myself since my 2 month sick leave and surgery that I'm gonna get back to training and get everything on track and I've been feeling really positive about it all and my future outlooks. Have I done what I said though? No, I haven't I'm sad to admit.

I'm not saying that positive things are bad, I'm saying that words are cheap, and all we have are words. I'm saying let's wait, let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's take what they say with a grain of salt until we know the deal. As mentioned, which you failed to address; the PS3 had a lot of positive buzz as well, especially from developers, it ended up in a generation where Sony lost immense amounts of grounds and some of their most important exclusives, and this was the successor to the most successful console ever made.

In short, plain and unmistakable words; wait for substance, share said substance, be really excited and have a good case and argument as a bonus.

"This man in a van offered me candy!", "Uh, ok, that sounds suspicious, we've all heard the tales of men in vans offering candy.", "Yeah, but this is really positive, candy is delicious and the van looked really nice and clean, he was just trying to be nice.", "Maybe, who knows, but be careful, it sounds a little weird.", "But candy is delicious and he offered me some.", Yes, but be careful.", "But candy is delicious and he offered me some." Etc.

Mummelmann said:

Yes, the 7th gen was indeed an anomaly, but that causes a problem for your bits about Switch sales potential. If one treats the 7th gen, and therein the DS and Wii, as anomalies, one has to see the whole line of consoles in succession, and it becomes clear that when the anomaly is accounted for, the trend is that Nintendo have been losing more and more users in the home console space, the culmination being the Wii U with around 15 million lifetime sales.
Furthermore, if you look at the DS's best selling games and Wii's best selling games, you'll see quite a few of Nintendo's core franchises sold really well on these platforms, so the argument that Nintendo gamers will keep on buying Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games that they can't get elsewhere isn't a valid one seeing as the sales of the same franchises on 3DS and Wii U were much, much lower. So, a large part of the consumers who bought these franchises have simply stopped buying them at all, it's not just the blue ocean strategy at work, this is about something else; gamers are willing to change their habbits and go elsewhere.

If we look further into the 7th gen as an anomaly, we can conclude that the vast majority of the expanded audience has gone elsewhere, it's also easy to discern that this consumer base was by far the most beneficial to Nintendo, it is therefore not a stretch to claim that without these, their sales outlooks are looking far, far worse. The PSP is also a part of this equation; it sold pretty well, over 80 million units, the Vita is set to sell well below one quarter that amount, what happened to these customers? Are they buying PS4's and One's in droves? Hardly, the sales figures don't really reflect that anyway (but they could be, who knows). Are they simply foregoing handheld gaming in favor of home consoles and most of them were owners of both a handheld and a home gaming system? Perhaps, then the trend is clear; the portable factor, especially for "big gaming", is near to non-existant as a purchasing incentive, which causes further headache for the Switch and its (apparent) plans.
Have some or many of these handheld owners in the 7th gen been fringe consumers who are easily swayed into "lower" forms of gaming? Then mobile, tablet and social gaming is where its at and another Vita-esque game catalogue won't change those habbits easily and reclaim these consumers.

Handheld consumers want a hybrid due to shared library? The DS didn't have that, yet it sold more than any other handheld in history, the Vita had "big games", the kind we usually see on home consoles, and has sold horribly despite this, handheld gamers, or the handheld part of multiplatform gamers, seem really disinterested in home gaming on the go if this is anything to go by, so a shared library is mostly for the developers' convenience.
I never asked why Nintendo games aren't popular on tablets and phones, I specifically said "Nintendo-like games", how many runaway hits on mobile and tablets play like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda? I'd like to say zero, controls are simplified, mechanics are made to suit 10 minute bus rides and, perhaps most importantly; everything is dirt cheap.
The same goes for the typical PS and Xbox games, gaming like this just isn't a factor in the mobile sector and the Switch is highly unlikely to change this. Games like Fallout or Skyrim on a 6 inch, 720 display with tiny attached controllers or even flailing motion controllers, on the go? No, just no, these are immersive titles that play sight and sound and player driven narratives that affect the whole experience in total, they were never made to be mobile or tablet games at all. But, hey, Bethesda like milk as much as any other developer, it seems.
One could make a case for Zelda games on handhelds, but the handheld versions are quite simplified and Zelda setting, narrative, visual style and overall feel was always easier to translate to smaller formats, and dedicated handhelds are a pretty big step up from mobile and tablet gaming.

Tech minded consumers will not want "big gaming" on a tiny 6 inch, 720p screen with tiny controllers, on the go. For them, the portable factor is probably the least relevant bit of gaming, these are people who have large, expensive TV's, sound systems and who generally spend more money than most on their hobbies. These are probably the shoe-in consumers for the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio, if they're gonna play console games. In other words; consider them a non-factor for the Swicth. The prospect of playing games like Skyrim and Dark Souls on the go is likely to be the worst idea the Switch has right now, big immersive AAA titles do not translate well to small displays with limited control options and poor sound, the 720p resolution in portable mode won't help either. I personally think this type of game will tank hard, or simply be played at home, which makes is very likely to be played on another platform to begin with.

Why would Wii U fans buy the Switch, because it's the only place to play Nintendo games, but as we already established; plenty of gamers seem fine with foregoing Nintendo games since the 7th gen, anomaly or not. This idea that Nintendo fans will stick by their side through thick and thin is already showing cracks, a lot of Nintendo fans are really angry and feel like Nintendo have tumbled downhill for many years now, not giving what was promised and generally half-assing even their own concepts. They are also losing customers due to their insistence on staying behind on practically anything tech related as well as online features and gaming and digital distribution. Favoring cartridges or SD cards over bigger internal storage that gives the possiblity for more digital games? That's not terrible clever for the handheld bit, and buying your own storage for storing digital games is hardly fair, and won't be very well received in a market where both 500 and 1000GB of storage is becoming the norm. The seeming convenience of the tablet bit could end up hampering the capabilities of the home gaming bit, with these things in mind, among others.

So they're aiming for both home console gamers and handheld gamers, like the Wii U aimed for core and casual gamers with their tablet controller. So one device is trying to cater to two or more different demographics, that's exactly what the Wii U tried and failed to accomplish.

The Switch seems more poised than the Wii U in almost every way though, but it has identity issues already. Nintendo insist on calling it a home gaming system, yet the teaser had heavy focus on portable elements, these portable scenarios were either poorly depicted or downright ridiculous (playing NBA multiplayer on an actual basketball court with several tiny screens and tiny controllers in hand), waving your arms around with motion controller Skyrim on an airplane, wearing cheap headphones and staring into a 6 inch display. They refuse to call it a hybrid and have not yet confirmed that it's the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS. So, it's a home gaming system with majority focus on portable aspects, yet it's not a hybrid or a handheld console, it didn't show a speck of online play or other features and chose instead to show young, hip proffessionals playing handheld games in completely ludicrous settings, no longer aiming at families or children (mostly ignoring "casuals", as it were). They seem almost to be aiming at the PS and Xbox crowd and believe they can lure them out into the sun with a handheld option for regular, home console gaming.

The Switch reveal is bipolar, it shows a home gaming system that is barely meant for home gaming, that's a slight marketing challenge from the beginning. But, yes, overall, the presentation is better than the Wii U, by a fair margin at that. The Wii U's main problem was the Gamepad, it sent signals that they wanted tablet gamers to join in, it had poor resolution, awkward button layout, poor battery time and couldn't even be bought separately so more than one gamer per console could use one, instead making them use Pro controllers or Wii-motes. So the local multiplayer machine that touted its controller as the second coming never actually allowed actual, local multiplayer with more than one person using said controller... They aimed at me and you and they aimed at kids playing their phones and tablets in bed or on the bus, and it failed in spectacular fashion.
As for the Wii's lack of support; that's a fair point, it was never expected to take off the way it did, but there should at least be some basis for support for the successor after a runaway hit and sweet words were spoken of the Wii U by developers, much like we're hearing about the Switch right now.

My one, overarching point in these bloated posts is simple; let's wait and see what actually happens and not go crazy over a list of names, some rumors and some fairly paltry fare from a couple of major studios for now. It's too early to tell. I for one, hope the Switch gets good support and sells a decent amount, even should I end up not getting one myself, I'm not fond of the idea of Nintendo leaving the consoles space as a hardware manufacturer, for several reasons.
I find it strange that several users are seemingly trying to appeal to my reason, when I see it as highly unreasonable to be this excited over rumors and a mostly worthless list of names and logos that tell us absolutely nothing about the actual level of support this platform will end up having.

Except the trend culminating for the Wii U has little bearing on the Switch given that it's a hybrid device that unifies two userbases and markets in one, your argument here also is a bit back and fourth as you admit 7th gen is an anomly yet try to use numbers from it to back your trend argument. Consumers owning both a handheld and a console is far from a headache for the Switch in fact it's a massive boost, because if PS4 and X1 owners are buying portables then it means NS is being sold to consumers of their competitors as well.

Your argument on the Wii U is as vague as one can get as you keep trying to pin Wii U's faliures on one specific thing which was never even the issue and even then your attempt to link a similar argument to Switch is even weaker because for one it's not hard for Switch to be aimed at both portable and home console gamers as it's the only portable upcoming from any platform holder and will also be the only main platform Nintedo is focused on that can be played in the house as a home console. First drop this vague notion that the Wii U's problem was who it was aimed at because that was never the problem, the problems were several intricate ones ranging from design of the platform, droughts, pricing, marketing, consumer confusion and an unsure approach. The design hampered any approach with the main feature being intutive but was limited and restricted, consumers didn't even know the platform was even out for the good part of two years and those that did didn't know if it was a new platform or an add on for the Wii because of the  name and non existent marketing, platform had droughts due to resources needing to be split for it and the 3DS, pricing was not very competitive and Nintendo themselves were unsure how to handle the platform due to taking advice from others instead of doing their own thing. The last part alone is always going to cause problems because Sony had the same issue with Vita, if you don't know how to handle your system it won't take off, these were the problems with the Wii U not focusing on different userbases.

The Switch reveal and even the Tonight Show airing has already done the hard work of establishing the concept of the platform, anyone who watches either of them will know what the concept of Switch is, all that Nintendo needs to do is just push the Switch as a gaming platform with simple marketing as both portable and home gamers know what it's about already. The's no bipolar reaction to it the's only the minority groups of people in forums overthinking statements and bits of footage here and there, Nintendo have simply said Switch is a home gaming system that can be taken with you and the footage so far of the platform has conveyed that nicely, the video showed it's portable function and how it will work on the go because that's a major feature for it and the style of gaming on it is still home console like no matter where you go the's no identity issue here the unit covers both markets in its concept and design and people understand that.

You're free to wait and see all you want but that doesn't mean other people have to cease any discussion of any news that comes out.

Mummelmann said:
Miyamotoo said:

The bit about Beyond Good and Evil 2; that might well turn out to be so, but my point in the previous post is that it's pretty much an irrelevant title at any rate, it's a sequel to what will be a 15 year old game in summer 2018 (it's claimed release window), that sold less than 500k on the most successful console in history.

You keep going in circles; "yes, but all this positive stuff is good". Positive stuff is positive, and that's that, it doesn't mean all that much without action. I've been telling myself since my 2 month sick leave and surgery that I'm gonna get back to training and get everything on track and I've been feeling really positive about it all and my future outlooks. Have I done what I said though? No, I haven't I'm sad to admit.

I'm not saying that positive things are bad, I'm saying that words are cheap, and all we have are words. I'm saying let's wait, let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's take what they say with a grain of salt until we know the deal. As mentioned, which you failed to address; the PS3 had a lot of positive buzz as well, especially from developers, it ended up in a generation where Sony lost immense amounts of grounds and some of their most important exclusives, and this was the successor to the most successful console ever made.

In short, plain and unmistakable words; wait for substance, share said substance, be really excited and have a good case and argument as a bonus.

"This man in a van offered me candy!", "Uh, ok, that sounds suspicious, we've all heard the tales of men in vans offering candy.", "Yeah, but this is really positive, candy is delicious and the van looked really nice and clean, he was just trying to be nice.", "Maybe, who knows, but be careful, it sounds a little weird.", "But candy is delicious and he offered me some.", Yes, but be careful.", "But candy is delicious and he offered me some." Etc.

Of Course we can't know everything at least before January event, but for now fact is that everything way more positive around Switch than it was for Wii U.

I've just bought DS3 for PC.
But, if the make they trilogy I would definetly re-buy.
I want local multiplayer.

Wyrdness said:

Except the trend culminating for the Wii U has little bearing on the Switch given that it's a hybrid device that unifies two userbases and markets in one, your argument here also is a bit back and fourth as you admit 7th gen is an anomly yet try to use numbers from it to back your trend argument. Consumers owning both a handheld and a console is far from a headache for the Switch in fact it's a massive boost, because if PS4 and X1 owners are buying portables then it means NS is being sold to consumers of their competitors as well.

Your argument on the Wii U is as vague as one can get as you keep trying to pin Wii U's faliures on one specific thing which was never even the issue and even then your attempt to link a similar argument to Switch is even weaker because for one it's not hard for Switch to be aimed at both portable and home console gamers as it's the only portable upcoming from any platform holder and will also be the only main platform Nintedo is focused on that can be played in the house as a home console. First drop this vague notion that the Wii U's problem was who it was aimed at because that was never the problem, the problems were several intricate ones ranging from design of the platform, droughts, pricing, marketing, consumer confusion and an unsure approach. The design hampered any approach with the main feature being intutive but was limited and restricted, consumers didn't even know the platform was even out for the good part of two years and those that did didn't know if it was a new platform or an add on for the Wii because of the  name and non existent marketing, platform had droughts due to resources needing to be split for it and the 3DS, pricing was not very competitive and Nintendo themselves were unsure how to handle the platform due to taking advice from others instead of doing their own thing. The last part alone is always going to cause problems because Sony had the same issue with Vita, if you don't know how to handle your system it won't take off, these were the problems with the Wii U not focusing on different userbases.

The Switch reveal and even the Tonight Show airing has already done the hard work of establishing the concept of the platform, anyone who watches either of them will know what the concept of Switch is, all that Nintendo needs to do is just push the Switch as a gaming platform with simple marketing as both portable and home gamers know what it's about already. The's no bipolar reaction to it the's only the minority groups of people in forums overthinking statements and bits of footage here and there, Nintendo have simply said Switch is a home gaming system that can be taken with you and the footage so far of the platform has conveyed that nicely, the video showed it's portable function and how it will work on the go because that's a major feature for it and the style of gaming on it is still home console like no matter where you go the's no identity issue here the unit covers both markets in its concept and design and people understand that.

You're free to wait and see all you want but that doesn't mean other people have to cease any discussion of any news that comes out.

I don't think we're gonna agree on pretty much anything and we're just going in circles.

Bolded; that's the kind of thing that ruins discussions, I've never claimed we can't or shouldn't discuss news, what I'm reacting to is people jumping up and down and taking a nonsensical list of "partners" and some pretty paltry first offerings by way of old ports and then seemingly assuming that major studios will offer good support for a platform based on nothing but sweettalk. All this in spite of these same developers and studios having done the same thing before, only a few years back at that. I find it strange to substantiate rumors and claims with so little basis, I guess I'm more logic driven than most in my view of the industry, which isn't to say that that's better or worse than being more personally or even emotinally involved, there's room for everyone.

Miyamotoo; same with us, it's not really going anywhere at all. Yes, positive things are positive, and that's fine. Let's leave it at that then.