By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: From Software Currently porting Dark Souls 3 to Nintendo Switch, Possibly Dark Souls Triology to Follow

Funny enough Dark Souls was one of the first games I thought of when the Switch was first revealed, the portable nature of the platform is something that I can see making people double dip. I have the first and third game on Steam but would still get the trilogy on NS purely because of the portable aspects as it would be a nice alternative to Monster Hunter when gaming on the go.

I reckon DS can really resonate with the huge MH following on the portable side of things and From Software are likely aware of this which would explain why they would have any DS game running on Switch after ignoring Wii U. Both series require players to improve and perfect their skill against powerful opponents, both let the player customize their set up, both are hard to master and both are really punishing if you make mistakes.

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Would all three titles fit on one cart or are we talking about multiple carts this early in the console's life?

It wouldn't surprise me if it's one cartridge per game.

But it wouldn't surprise me either if the trilogy launches in 3 discs on the PS4/X1.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Would all three titles fit on one cart or are we talking about multiple carts this early in the console's life?

But it wouldn't surprise me either if the trilogy launches in 3 discs on the PS4/X1.

On PC all 3 games have around 40GB, so in Switch case they could easily all fit on one 64GB card.

Rumor; every game ever is being ported and/or developer for the Switch!

We need to be a tiny bit critical in our thinking here, we've heard of "unprecedented support" and "partners" before when it comes to Nintendo, but in the end it was all hot air, it happened with both the Wii and the Wii U. If the Wii U couldn't catch a break after the runaway success of the Wii, why should developers suddenly go bananas over the opportunity to make games for the successor to the biggest letdown in Nintendo's 30+ year home console history? I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope it's true, it would bring more value to the platform and possibly help increase the market appeal.

Mummelmann said:

We need to be a tiny bit critical in our thinking here, we've heard of "unprecedented support" and "partners" before when it comes to Nintendo, but in the end it was all hot air, it happened with both the Wii and the Wii U. If the Wii U couldn't catch a break after the runaway success of the Wii, why should developers suddenly go bananas over the opportunity to make games for the successor to the biggest letdown in Nintendo's 30+ year home console history? I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope it's true, it would bring more value to the platform and possibly help increase the market appeal.

Because Nintendo this time is managing things different, they have better communication with 3rd party and they trying more to have 3rd party on board because after Wii U they know they need them, because Switch is very modern tech and architecture that's easy to work compared to Wii and Wii U, because with Switch they will have their games in portable for also. Switch for instance has Bethesda on board and they didnt had any game for any Nintendo platform from NES.

Just for record, From Software is listed like Switch partner and supporter, and Laura Kate Dale infos about Switch until now are 100% accurate.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

The platform is also the succesor to the 3DS which has 61m users that is something no developer can really ignore, GC was the biggest let down prior to Wii exploding so it's not as black and white as you make it seem. 

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

On PC all 3 games have around 40GB, so in Switch case they could easily all fit on one 64GB card.

So?

The only rumor we've had about card sizes said that the standard card would be 16GB, and higher capacity cards will be more expensive. If it's cheaper to use 3x 16GB cards or 2x 32GB (because DS 3 is 25GB on PC), they can perfectly choose that route.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

cycycychris said:
onionberry said:
"portable dark souls, take the frustration with you!" that should be the promotion slogan. But for real, portable dark souls is fantastic news!

Hope the Switch's  screen doesn't shatter easyly D:

i hope no one trow the switch because of the frustation :V :V 

JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:

So?

The only rumor we've had about card sizes said that the standard card would be 16GB, and higher capacity cards will be more expensive. If it's cheaper to use 3x 16GB cards or 2x 32GB (because DS 3 is 25GB on PC), they can perfectly choose that route.

That's just standard size card, there will different sizes of cards depending of size of games. It has more sense that DS collection be on one card than on several cards.

Miyamotoo said:
Mummelmann said:

Because Nintendo this time is managing things different, they have better communication with 3rd party and they trying more to have 3rd party on board because after Wii U they know they need them, because Switch is very modern tech and architecture that's easy to work compared to Wii and Wii U, because with Switch they will have their games in portable for also. Switch for instance has Bethesda on board and they didnt had any game for any Nintendo platform from NES.

Just for record, From Software is listed like Switch partner and supporter, and Laura Kate Dale infos about Switch until now are 100% accurate.

And what does this partner list entail? Ubisoft is also on the list, does that mean Just Dance or Assassin's Creed (which have done terribly on Nintendo platforms)? Skyrim for Switch? A five year old port, is that an amazing show of effort from Bethesda? A bunch of logos and names on a list doesn't really tell us much, no more than Nintendo's Mario game for Apple devices, that would make Nintendo a mobile gaming partner, how does that stack up to this? Does that mean that Nintendo are now throwing their full support behind iPhone, iPad and Mac? Of course it doesn't, so let's calm down and see where it goes first, I'm very, very skeptical of what developers say when it comes to supporting Nintendo consoles, the Wii U was also spoken highly of and many made lofty promises, Ubisoft and EA being the foremost of these (EA famously spoke of an "unprecedented relationship" with Nintendo, it didn't exactly make sparks fly as it turned out).

I'm not trying to paint the picture black, just admonishing some consideration and patience, and a large does of skepticism. How many times do Nintendo fans need to be burnt by developers to stop going nuts over the tiny bones they keep tossing?

Wyrdness said:
Mummelmann said:

The platform is also the succesor to the 3DS which has 61m users that is something no developer can really ignore, GC was the biggest let down prior to Wii exploding so it's not as black and white as you make it seem. 

Is this even confirmed? They've refused the idea that Switch is a hybrid and they're not calling it a handheld either, it's specifically dubbed a "home gaming system" and there were tweets from Nintendo higher up's debunking the rumors that Switch was the successor to both Wii U and 3DS. And even if it is, which is quite likely (they won't want to compete against their own handheld offerings with a mobile hybrid device), even Nintendo handhelds have taken a sharp turn for the worse and the 3DS will end up well below half of the DS' lifetime sales. Not to mention the fact that 61 million 3DS users doesn't by default translate to 61 million more Switch owners, any more than 100 million Wii owners created 100 million Wii U owners.  So, in actuality, as far as most developers are concerned, it's more black than white and has been for some time. With what will be a quite large installed base of Xbox One + PS4 + PC as well as mobile devices, options are many and a lot of developers can, and more than likely will, ignore the installed base of the 3DS and Wii U. The developer incentive for partnering with Nintendo and risking big budget titles, especially any kind of exclusive, is near to nothing right now due to market circumstances. Yes, Pokemon does brilliantly and Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros is always a sure hit, but that doesn't really benefit anyone other than Nintendo themselves.

GC was a big letdown for sure, and the Wii had amazing sales, but how was its 3rd party support? Have people already forgotten the paltry support it had despite being the market leader almost from the very beginning? Even if the Switch should somehow manage fantastic sales (which I really don't think it will, but that's another story), great sales don't even mean great support, as the Wii clearly showed.